958 turbo plenum/y-pipe lower vacuum line removal trick

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 01:38 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts
Question 958 turbo plenum/y-pipe lower vacuum line removal trick

Ok Rennlist brain trust... I don't feel like breaking this part and it's not coming apart easily so I thought I'd check first as I can't find anything online about it...

Can someone please confirm before I use more muscle: to remove the intake plenum underside vacuum connection on a 958 Turbo (which is not the same as the 955 as I've seen those pics online), does the red collar in the plastic fitting slide upwards away from the tan colored piece while the entire left side fitting slides downwards bringing the separate right side fitting down with it with no further undoing of anything?? I've levered the red collar out about 2mm, but the fitting is still snug and I don't want it to snap apart then I'm stuck needing a new part. I was thinking it was similar to a 996 fitting where that collar should slide upwards freeing the fitting from its attachment.

Thank you for any tips from those that have undone this on a 958 Turbo! This is holding up the last part of my 80K service: the serpentine belt change!

Here is what I think the fitting is like (red collar being the "gripper"):
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2015, 07:56 PM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 955 so I'm not sure, but did you try pushing the Body up into the Gripper and then pulling the Gripper down?

It looks like that would push the tip of the arms on the Gripper into the slanted pieces and might release the pressure.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:43 AM
snzuloz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Push the gripper up, you might need to slightly twist and pull the whole assembly once you get the gripper fully bottomed against the body.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:59 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Workshop manual says to just lever it off with a screwdriver!! ...I guess I'll give it a go! I assume nobody around here has undone this on their 958 yet!
Old 07-18-2015, 11:42 PM
BlazinPond
Rennlist Member

Received 278 Likes on 178 Posts

I did and....it didn't turn out so good.
Even afterward, i still couldn't pry the red piece out.

I ended up ordering a new line and installed my IPD plenum.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...stall-diy.html
Old 07-19-2015, 12:19 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, that's one way to remove it... which I wanted to avoid.

In the end I could not get the piece off... but I did realize I could easily undo the hose at the other end (was a loose-fitting slip fit) permitting me to leave the fitting in place when removing the y-pipe. Even with the y-pipe removed, staring at the fitting, I couldn't remove the fitting!

The IPD plenum in your post looks cool, but too bad they put their name on it as it will fail CA Smog as it's obviously not factory.

Quick Reply: 958 turbo plenum/y-pipe lower vacuum line removal trick