Sponsored by:

New Purchase Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 02:06 PM
jabajaba
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Purchase Help

I'm planning on ordering a bare bones standard Cayenne - what are the must-have options I should consider getting.

Smokers package? Wheels?
Old 07-11-2015, 02:21 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

Reverse Camera
Tow package
Roof rails if you haul bikes or have kids and you are taking long trips. Nice place to straps the kids to for "time outs". But safety first. Have to wear eye protection for bug strike prevention to the eyes.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:16 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

Depending on your needs of course, but I just had a loaner with 1000 miles on it. I found the V6 anemic. As in lacking in acceleration.
As said before tow pkg and roof rails are a must.
Old 07-11-2015, 06:49 PM
jabajaba
Advanced

Don't need too much speed - just enough. I test drove it, felt good.
Just want to make sure I'm not missing any must have options. I doubt I will ever tow or use the upper racks.

Might just get the base with a panoramic roof. What's the lighting package all about?
Old 07-11-2015, 07:25 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

If you are not towing the tow is not that big a deal. I think the roof rails are very imp, especially down the road for resale or the "oh, I need to put on a rack for..." . Since rails cannot be retrofitted we are seeing a few guys pulling their hair out when they could use them and find out they cannot be added on later models. JMHO. BTW I really liked the ergonomics on the new ones. Much better than my 06 CTTS.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:26 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a ton of options on these things. Items that are standard on a Kia are options on a Cayenne. So the real price is always more than the base price.
If all you want it to do is turn right ,left and stop you don't need any options. The dealers tend to order cars to sell with most options people want.
MSRP for these cars seem to be in high 60's to low 70's. It's easy to get a CTTS to 200k. I started with a standard car and ended up with an S 95k MSRP but I love my truck had it now for 7 months. Make your dealer work to show you what you need and don't. My dealer was great maybe that's why I'm so happy.
Good luck let us know what you finally get.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:08 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 101 Posts

Before I purchased our 2014 Cayenne S I had driven base Cayenne's a couple of times for an extended period and I was very impressed with the driving dynamics of the base model. I ended up with the "S" simply because I wanted the V8, and I knew the V8 was being legislated out of existence. And I threw in the sport exhaust, too, and I'm glad I did.

But, that said, if you are satisfied with the V6, get the base and go real light on options. Resale may be an issue. The back up camera, or at least the acoustic system, is useful.

I think Porsche laughs at people who buy their options. That includes me, but at least I went with the base when I bought my 997.2.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:01 AM
monacojoe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jabajaba
I'm planning on ordering a bare bones standard Cayenne - what are the must-have options I should consider getting.

Smokers package? Wheels?
why don't you just get a loaded touereg?
Old 07-13-2015, 02:51 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

We have a V-6 2012 Cayenne.
Owned it since new.

There are over 169,000 km on the odometer.

Does this Cayenne accelerate like an S?
No.

Does it work effectively and more enjoyably than a Toureg?
In my experience yes

As others have said, if you are thinking about resale get the options which make this vehicle more utility than sport, since it isn't an GTS or a Turbo.
Roof rails and tow package are the things a utility user will want.

If you are thinking about your enjoyment, get the options which will enhance your enjoyment of the drive.

I have enjoyed the ventilated and heated front seats, the heated steering wheel, the full leather package, the navi and com package, PASM and air suspension.
Hardly a stripped base mode though.

I like the fact I can customize my Porsche to exactly what I want.
The price is worth the value I get.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:23 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by CAVU
Reverse Camera
Tow package
Roof rails if you haul bikes or have kids and you are taking long trips. Nice place to straps the kids to for "time outs". But safety first. Have to wear eye protection for bug strike prevention to the eyes.
I recommended the:

- Reverse camera for safety. Unfortunate and horrible experience for a relative

- Roof rails for resale and use

- Tow package for resale and Bike racks

Should have been more clear.

I have a highly optioned "S" bought 4 years new. There are many options on this vehicle that I really enjoy: ventilated seats, heated seats and steering wheel, Air Suspension with Self-leveling and Height Adjustment with PASM, navigation, "S", Full leather, multifunction steering wheel, etc.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:01 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

We have a CD optioned to just under $80k. I am a reasonably practical person, but kind of said "what the hell" with this vehicle. It is just expensive, so get what you want.

We have Premium Plus, which I like. I would trade the pano, nice, but not really needed. Love the Bose system, probably best stereo I ever had in a car. You may be able to go with the standard 8 way seats, see if you like them. The 14 way ventilated seats are terrific though. We have the walnut package, and wood steering wheel. Makes the interior a knockout, but not needed. Stay with the standard 18" wheels to save some money.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:28 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jabajaba
Don't need too much speed - just enough. I test drove it, felt good.
Just want to make sure I'm not missing any must have options. I doubt I will ever tow or use the upper racks.

Might just get the base with a panoramic roof. What's the lighting package all about?
Pano roof is a lot of places for water to get in and a lot of things to go wrong. If you like that extra open air for the rear passengers fine. I barely use the standard sunroof in the vehicle. Temps are either too cold or too hot to bother. But I still like having a sunroof.

If you are worried about resale must haves are Tow package and roof rails as others have said.

If you use the radio a lot for entertainment get the Bose, as adding or changing later is expensive and never is integrated enough for my tastes.

Also if money is that much of a concern, get the Touareg. Sure, the interior is not as luxurious, but it is still nice enough. The handling is acceptable and the brakes are big. If I was choosing a base Cayenne vs. the Touareg I would definitely pick the VW. It will save you a TON of money. I've had both and the only one reason I picked Porsche was the 450 hp...
Old 07-19-2015, 05:56 PM
genebopp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i forgot the porsche name for it, but it has something to do with the internet/radio. It is only about 250 and lets you listen and control Aha radio with the nav unit screen. It also lets lets you search online for restaurants and other stuff rather than just the Nav data base. But lets face it, the car is expensive. The floor mats are 200. Dont cheap out too much or you will not be happy.

Quick Reply: New Purchase Help