Sponsored by:

Values of CTT and GTS's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 11:06 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Values of CTT and GTS's?

So I've been looking around and the values of these are all over the map. To the point where it's really hard to get my head around the market of what a fair offer is.

I've seen '08-'09 GTS's at asking prices anywhere from $31-37k miles, for trucks with the same mileage and equipment.

I've also seen prices of $18-35k for '05-'06 CTT's with basically the same mileage and equipment as well.

I obviously don't want to over pay and immediately lose thousands, but it really seems like either there are some people really stretching on their asking prices, or the market is extremely unstable, or both.

Thoughts?
Old 06-02-2015, 11:31 AM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

I am always watching Cayenne prices and have concluded yes they are all over the place. There are dealers asking double what I bought my 04 S for. I've seen some 08 turbos under 30k too, and some 08 GTS at 40k. I think it has alot to do with location. I live in a medium sized city and there may be only 1 or 2 cayennes on the market at any given time. However, look at Miami craigslist and there are fifty.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:35 PM
audipwr1
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

At these prices and age the cars history means a lot

I "overpaid" for a one owner all maint records from dealer GTS
Old 06-02-2015, 12:39 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I'm attracted to the older CTT's (05-06) because I can do a cash purchase, no payments. However most of the 06's I like have asking prices that are the same as an 08 CTT or 08-09 GTS.

That's just silly, the 06's aren't anything spectacular, like super duper low mileage, all records, two sets of wheels, etc, etc, etc...
Old 06-02-2015, 12:43 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Blue Book is a good starting point for the average Cayenne. From there, I figure +/- 15% for condition, history, color, etc. Maybe tack on another 5% for rare options or a car that hits all the things you're looking for.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:01 PM
Corso
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
Blue Book is a good starting point for the average Cayenne. From there, I figure +/- 15% for condition, history, color, etc. Maybe tack on another 5% for rare options or a car that hits all the things you're looking for.
This is good advise. Also, as mentioned the dealer vs. private seller swing can be substantial. Patience is key with these things. If you study the market enough, which it sounds like you are, when the right one comes along, there will be little doubt in your mind whether it's a fair deal or not and you'll ****** it up.

Outside of personal desires; color, options, etc., service history and overall condition should be #1, and worth a few extra bucks IMO.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:09 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Over here, the GTS is holding its value more than then turbo. There is a premium because it is actually seen as a driver's car.
Old 06-03-2015, 11:16 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Well, first off, any seller can ask any price. Whether or not they get it is a whole different story.
Asking $30k + for a 955 (even a CTT) is...
Less than intelligent.

Just because it was a nearly $100k car new, just because it has the crest on the hood, doesn't negate reality.

And the reality is that these cars depreciate like rocks.

There was a comment in another 'value' thread about an 06 getting $27k as a trade in. 2 years ago.
That's the big thing. It was only a 7 year old car at that time.

I can't give good numbers for the values of 957s or 958s, but I searched for a 955 for a bit over 6 months.

Anything over $20k is optimistic.
Service records are probably the biggest "value enhancer", closely followed by condition.
Work done on known problem areas (cardan shaft, coolant pipes, ect), mileage and options/extra 'goodies' (second set of tires & rims, cover, good floor mats and/or cargo area liner) are important, but less so.

It doesn't mean that some people won't ask stupid high prices for them. It also doesn't mean that some people won't pay stupid high prices for them.

The guy I bought mine from came down a bit after the PPI showed the cardan shaft was just starting to go. It does have a variety of other issues (coolant pipes, hatch struts, rear park assist out, a variety of small scratches, dents & scrapes, interior shows that it's 100k mile car).
But he is convinced that it's a $25k car if all that is made good.

He was deeply offended at the trade in offer the dealer gave him. He never said what it was, but my guess is well under $15k.

If you plan on making a reasonable offer on a car that is priced "stupid high", go in 'well armed with the truth.'
Print out a bunch of ads for similar cars at reasonable prices. Print out the "value calculator from KBB, Edmunds, Cars dot, ect. Show the seller that the car isn't worth what they are asking.

And be fully prepared to be told that you are insulting the seller.

I've known people (not in 955 deals) that made an honest and reasonable offer to an 'overly optimistic' seller, be told that they were being insulting, told the seller "that's my offer, if you don't sell at your ask, feel free to call back." And three of four weeks later (or a couple months in one case) got a call from the seller. Overpricing tends to drive off legit buyers because they know it's going to be a huge hassle trying to talk down someone who has no clue how overpriced their car is. It kinda shows that they don't know a whole lot about the car in the first place.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:21 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

I agree, most of the 955 CTT's in the 80-100k mile range should be under $20k. Maybe an '06 CTT S with low mileage, records, pristine etc will be worth a little over $20k.

However I've seen people asking $32-34k for a '06 CTT S with ~70-80k miles on it. I can buy a '08 CTT for less than that...

Going and offering those people around $20k isn't even worth my time, they're so far off the mark on their asking price they wouldn't even consider my offer.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:23 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by docwyte

However I've seen people asking $32-34k for a '06 CTT S with ~70-80k miles on it. I can buy a '08 CTT for less than that...

Going and offering those people around $20k isn't even worth my time, they're so far off the mark on their asking price they wouldn't even consider my offer.
Well, it may or may not be worth your time to go look at a car. Depends on how close the car is, how close it is to your "perfect car", that sort of thing.

The more cars you look at, the better you will get at seeing stuff.

They may not have had many people come and look if they priced it "stupid high", and if you make it clear what the car is worth and that your offer is in that range, maybe they'll accept it, either now or later.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:08 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

True. I may go check out one locally that looks decent, they're just asking $12-15k too much. '06 CTT S 70k miles on it asking $34k
Old 06-03-2015, 03:30 PM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

True. I may go check out one locally that looks decent, they're just asking $12-15k too much. '06 CTT S 70k miles on it asking $34k
well I think the 06 Turbo S is a different animal and that is going to come with a premium because they were so rare. and 520 hp.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:32 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Yeah, but not a $12-15k premium. To the point where a '08 CTT is cheaper than an '06 CTT S by several thousand dollars premium.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:47 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Make sure it has new rotors...
Old 06-04-2015, 04:38 AM
NRFD
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what do you guys think of an '08 CTT, 1 owner, clean car fax, $35k, 5k orig miles? very tempted.... seems to be running great and local Porsche svc advisor knows car and says has only had 'basic svc'........... decent optioned, including dynamic chassis control, orig sticker $106k

Quick Reply: Values of CTT and GTS's?