Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Cayenne Diesel unable to smog test, no parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 09:34 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had my CD '13 model SMOG'd in Nov '14 (2 years after purchase). Passed fine no issues. Probably had 25,000 + miles at the time.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:48 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
A little confused here. Is the issue because service was performed before the smog test and the CD's computer was reset for the next service period?

If so, we should all make sure to smog the CD before doing any computer resets.
Part of it depends on how your state tests, but if they read out the OBD values, then yes you should get the test done before pulling the battery or have any of the computers reset.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:00 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by audipwr1
I'm in California I am no lawyer but suggest a quick google search - it's certain number of trips to dealer to resolve same issue that triggers this California is very pro consumer in this way
There is still nothing illegal going on here. The Lemon Laws are just consumer protection oriented not criminal.

I don't know CA laws, but I have gotten a new car due to VA's Lemon Law and in our case it's a bit more than the 3 strikes that everyone talks about. The severity of the issue also comes into play. So a broken radio, for example, would take more than just 3 trips.

That's why I always recommend people research their local laws themselves since there is plenty of variation from state to state.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:25 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,123 Posts

@cayennediesel which code is NOT setting? You can get any inexpensive OBDII code reader and it will tell you if the SMOG readiness is set or not. I just went through this on my RS. Pain in the $ss to get them to set if they are not. If there is a problem with one of the sensors, the car should throw a check engine light eventually.

The key is drive cycles. That is, totally cold, warm it up, drive under 60, under 3k rpm (not hard on a diesel!), it took my RS 6 of these to set the indicators to ready. The EVAP was the one that took the longest to set.

Anyway, find out WHICH indicator is not setting.
Old 05-21-2015, 06:00 PM
cayennediesel
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So its some sensor (they read the part # to me while I was driving so I couldn't relay it here) that is allegedly malfunctioning so when they plug it in at the Smog place it says its not reading the sensors??? Glad to hear other people have passed the smog.

The hilarity is that there isn't a single new sensor in the entire world and that Porsche has to make one from scratch. They are also calling Audi & VW to compare it to the sensors on those diesels to see if it'll do the trick. So frustrating. I got a new Cayenne loaner today with 4,000 miles on it, but the finish is SO SWIRLED!!! I always put a note on the window of my car to NOT WASH IT when I take it in & I reminded them a dozen times already...
Old 05-21-2015, 06:17 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cayennediesel
They are also calling Audi & VW to compare it to the sensors on those diesels to see if it'll do the trick.
I expect it is a VAG part rather than an actual Porsche part. Unfortunately they like to give a lot of them 958-* numbers anyway which makes tracking it down a PITA

I got a new Cayenne loaner today with 4,000 miles on it, but the finish is SO SWIRLED!!! I always put a note on the window of my car to NOT WASH IT when I take it in & I reminded them a dozen times already...
Yeah. Half the time they still wash it anyway and last time they swirled my paint and that was about 3 months after it had been repainted
Old 05-22-2015, 09:59 PM
cayennediesel
AutoX

Just another update, the Audi Diesel part wasn't the same...
Old 05-25-2015, 03:58 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Just another update, the Audi Diesel part wasn't the same...
I'm watching this thread for info and whatever learnings there may be ... in re-reading it I didn't see where you explicitly said the Dealer also did a SMOG test for you. Did they try to SMOG it? If so, did they get the same result of too few miles driven( that seems rather an odd parameter - it either emits at or below level, or it doesn't)? Top off your AdBlue and try again.

As I noted above my SMOG experience with my '13 CD was fine.

This whole thing really sounds goofy ... hope you get a resolution soon. GL.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:07 PM
cayennediesel
AutoX

Originally Posted by stronbl
I'm watching this thread for info and whatever learnings there may be ... in re-reading it I didn't see where you explicitly said the Dealer also did a SMOG test for you. Did they try to SMOG it? If so, did they get the same result of too few miles driven( that seems rather an odd parameter - it either emits at or below level, or it doesn't)? Top off your AdBlue and try again.

As I noted above my SMOG experience with my '13 CD was fine.

This whole thing really sounds goofy ... hope you get a resolution soon. GL.
When they plug it into the computer some of the sensors don't read. The dealer can't smog test, but can see that the smog stations can't read the sensor data either. The bottom line is that there will be a flood of these sooner or later & there are no new sensor parts in existence. My Cayenne Diesel is sitting at the dealership with expired plates gathering dust for who knows how long. I have a 2015 gas cayenne loaner and it's been interesting to feel the difference. I definitely prefer diesel!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:24 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stronbl
( that seems rather an odd parameter - it either emits at or below level, or it doesn't)?
Basically there are sensors in the car that are tracking if the exhaust is in spec or not. Since many (most? all?) places seem to just be trusting the car rather sniff the tail pipes, this 'not available' block is to keep you from resetting the computer just before the test. So the idea is that you have to have some normal amount of driving done so that the sensors would register any problems.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:37 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

The bottom line is that there will be a flood of these sooner or later
I don't think I'd go that far. I think in your case you just had a bad part as these don't typically fail for a long time.

The odd part is PCNA claiming there are non in existence given that they are still actively building Cayennes with this motor. Also that they claim it is a Porsche only part raises a flag with me as (to my knowledge) the oil pan is the only difference between it and the VAG version. There are a ton (probably close to literally) of shared parts between the brands on these cars. I understand and expect the ECU, suspension, etc.. being different, but a sensor? It could easily all be above board, just seems fishy to me.

Regardless, hope they get it back to you soon.
Old 05-26-2015, 05:47 PM
cayennediesel
AutoX

Gnat, the reason I think it could be an epidemic is because there are no available parts in the US or Germany. I just heard from Porsche North America & My Dealership today & they are releasing the part from Germany & I should have my Cayenne back by this weekend! Customer Service at PNA was really stellar & they are looking into it.
~ My thoughts are no parts = many of other cayenne owners out there having the same issue & additional info to back that up is that there was 1 part in NJ, but the dealership needed it for an identical repair. So that makes at least 2 of us.
~ I have no experience in Porsche part lingo, but "Germany Releasing" the part sounds like they might be grabbing it off the line?

Who knows, but I hope my reaching out to Porsche Customer Service elevates the issue so they get more of the part sent over to the USA & it saves the next person from driving their Cayenne all over the place & tossing $ on Smog retests & having the car limbo so long the plates expire!

They were really prompt and apologetic & sent me a voucher for my next service, which I am happy with. I enjoyed driving a brand new Gas Cayenne & seeing that my 2013 is still better
Old 05-26-2015, 07:03 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

There are many reasons that could legitimately cause an availability problem, but it's hard to say from the outside what is a supply issue (and why) and what is misdirection.

Had a similar issue with our e90 just before it went out of warranty (as in it went out while in the shop!) when it's x-drive controller failed. Not a single one in the states and they had to wait for BMW to ship it from Germany. There was something similar on the 996 too.

Could be a rash of failures or just low stock due to cost or expected failure rate (e.g. why keep a large surplus of a part that *shouldn't* fail?). Who knows.

Glad you're hopefully getting it back soon. Watch that torque now that you're used to the base V6
Old 05-31-2015, 01:34 AM
cayennediesel
AutoX

just an update to let everyone know I still don't have my Cayenne back! fingers crossed for next week & then its 2 weeks driving with expired plates until my new stickers come... wonder if I can get Porsche to let me keep the rental until my plates renew
Old 05-31-2015, 07:34 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Damn that sucks.

Can you not just drive down to the DMV to get new stickers? Or just carry a receipt in your car from an online transaction?

That's how VA does it and if you go the later option you just give the cop the receipt of you get pulled over and they let you on your way.

Speaking of, I really need to get the emissions on the 996 done. It's plates expired 2 months ago...

Quick Reply: 2013 Cayenne Diesel unable to smog test, no parts