Porsche Cayenne Reliability and Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 08:36 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by abushark
Hi
I would like to share my suffering and the bad experience I had with my Cayenne Turbo 2005 hoping someone from Porsche will realize that their cars quality became worse and worse and need serious action, my car done only 60KMiles the last 7 years were a nightmare, every couple of months I had a new problems, I did not enjoy driving my car, most of the time in the garage , see below list of problem I faced so far:

I have my Cayenne Turbo 2005 since 7 years now so far done only 60Miles the last 7 years were a nightmare, every couple of months I have new problems, see below list of problem I faced so far:
1. Petrol / Gas leak from gas filter replaced
Sounds like an installer problem?

2. AC Compressor replacement
I only hear about these failing when a leak isn't caught early enough.

3. Car start cutting engine reach to stall, Fuel pump left and right replacement
Common.

4. Coolant Water leak (T plastic pipe crack right between fire wall and engine very difficult to reach)
Common.

5. White smoke comes out of the engine compartment (Engine oil leak from head cover gasket right engine side)
All valve cover gaskets start to leak. Look under the hood of any Honda or Toyota.

6. White smoke comes out of the engine compartment (Engine oil leak from head cover gasket left side)
7. Big bombing noise comes from beneath armrest (turns out to be the drive shaft bearing support was broken)
Common. Buy a rebuilt unit for 400 bucks.

8. One month coolant leak from coolant reservoir (replaced with new one)
Common

9. Lose braking brake paddle became very heavy (turns out that one of the vacuum hoses link between the brake booster and vacuum system
Common

10. One day cold water drain right on your foot while driving (AC derange blockage)
Unplug it?

11. Cabinet roof start falls down,
You have a lot of interior trim problems that I haven't seen much of. Do you have gymnastics practice in your car?

12. Middle consul paint comes out

13. Door handle from indie & window switch lose color
14. Engine compartment bonnet chock holder replacement
It's a gas shock - just like every car uses.

15. After a while trunk problem when you open the trunk door the trunk will not held open because of the chock need replacement
Can you link me to a car manufacturer that has gas shocks with a lifetime guarantee?
16. Clicking noise coming from the left front end every time you applied the brake (turns out to be the lower wishbone ball joints and rubber bushings are worn out need replacement)
Yep - it's a 5500 sports car. These things are wear items. They're dirt simple to fix.

17. Left wheel bearing replacement
Bearings fail. I have replaced wheel bearings on every car I've ever owned.

18. Left axle boots in & out replacement
It's rubber and an axle. If axles never failed, you'd never see axle shops in business.

19. For sure I have to replace right wheel bearing, lower wishbone and axle boots very soon as well
Shouldn't come as a surprise.

20. Passenger side power window not working (power window regulator replacement)

21. Left Turbo oil leak (no way to solve this problem)
It's not the turbo. It's a 5 dollar o-ring. There is a porsche TSB out for this.

22. Driver and passenger seat back side panel come out with all clips are broken (used Silicon to fix them back)
What in the hell are you doing inside the car? The only Cayennes I've seen with completeling failing interiors were owned by parents with small kids, or people that are really hard on things.

23. AC dash board display missing characters
LOL - I don't even know how this is possible.

24. Rear left speaker need replacement
25. Trunk glass window need new chock holders
26. Car not starting at all (steering wheel sensor defect, push the steering to it is default passion and switch off the auto steering position feature)
So replace the sensor?

27. Head light, turning indicator light sometimes working sometimes no, headlight wires inside the head light compartment making short circuits (all wires lost the insulation and wires are naked now touching each others,
It's a 5 minute fix.

28. Front grill (front bumper) get cracks without any one touch them (need replacement
Seriously - I'm beginning to think you're drive this thing like a madman.

29. It seems that also I am having very little coolant leak comes from Radiator (but still I did not fix because it is very less leak, and also I need to take a break)

30. AC controller rock button is almost cracked
Things don't just *crack*

31. Rocker buttons in the middle console also almost the base is cracked,
WTF. There is no way this car wasn't in an accident. Either that, or your fingers are 10 lb sledge hammers.

32. The middle console cub holder shatter cover is broken
Now it's official. This is the rattiest Cayenne I've ever heard of.

33. Sun glass box look is broken
OMG and it gets better.

34. Ac cooling became weak

35. Headlight rubber casket need replacement
Really? This is even worth mentioning?

36. Trunk glass door wiper broken need replacement
How did it break?

Remember I did not mention regular maintenance like brake pads, spark plugs, accessory built, tires, oil replacement, filters, adding 1 liter of engine oil every 600miles, adding coolant, bulb changing in regular bases, battery, I am also worried that sooner or later I will have Air suspension problems it is a matter of time only.
I feel sorry for Porsche, my car had no accident always under shade, taking very good care, no hard driving, treating my car like my little baby.
Shame on Porsche engineering, silly defects, I am wondering if Porsche are happy with using low cost bad materials,
look into any Korean or Japanese car makers, why do not you learn from them. You can hire staff from Korea or Japan

No way, dude. First off - if many of those "common" issues are inconveniences for you, then you need to get out of the German car market and into a brand new Kia with a big warranty. You won't find a car on the road that can do what a CTT does, that has perfect control arms after 10 years. Driveline components with rubber are wear items. It's always been this way with every car company. Your interior issues - seriously unheard of. You're either not telling the whole story, or you don't actually know the full history on the car. My car with 120K miles looks brand new inside. It's the same story for other high mileage Cayennes I've seen that are well taken care of. The only cars I've seen with rough interiors had rough histories.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:46 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

My need & wants are equal , everyone is different .

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 06-07-2015, 08:48 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Had a x5 tdi , didn't perform as I need & want . I don't pay for fuel my company takes care of it so I don't care really.

Q7 is as problematic as a rover , love the Audi MMI , hate the ride

Sent from my iPhone using Rennlist
Old 06-17-2015, 05:16 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

22,500 miles today, had the 3rd oil change done today, tyres rotated, some recall for a new warning sticker on the drives door, Checked for software updates, replaced rear hatch door seal , it wasn't staying attached to the frame for some reason on the left side. I also changed to Motul 8100 0/40 oil,Dealer said they are trying it out with some clients that do above normal driving, so we'll see if there is any difference with my specific vehicle. I also am kinda shocked it isn't using/needing any oil between oil changes like others have noted.

Also I saw this posted, 7th year in a row, Porsche hit #1 initial quality award:
http://www.jdpower.com/press-release...s?sf10018959=1
Old 06-19-2015, 05:07 AM
D2k
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ours has been treating us well after 4 years and 40k miles. Only "major" problem was the T-section of the coolant pipe. There is also a creaking in the front suspension over larger bumps that no one can track. Other than that it has been reliable so far *knock knock*.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:16 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Read the sticky

03=yuk
04=luck
05=better
06=better still
07=perfect
08=my best so far
09=sounds better internally
10=sounds better externally
Old 06-20-2015, 12:03 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd agree that for a 60K vehicle that is a lot of problems, most I haven't had but the common ones I have: Coolant pipes, Reservoir, T's, Driveshaft, rear hatch shocks. And I had most of these by 60K too which I do feel is not up to the Porsche standard (recent Excellence article of a guy with a over 500K mile 2002 Turbo (Metzgar engine) is very interesting). I'm lucky I can do these repairs myself or I may have went somewhere else but I have to say I'm a Porsche fool and I love the cars, both old and new. To each his own, it's just whether the enjoyment is worth the cost, and if you can turn a wrench you can probably put up with more than you could normally afford or just plain put up with.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:51 AM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
Read the sticky

03=yuk
04=luck
05=better
06=better still
07=perfect
08=my best so far
09=sounds better internally
10=sounds better externally
Sorry, but when I first joined I looked at that sticky, I thought it was the stupidest thing I have ever seen "stickied" in my life. Seriously? What help is that at all? I suppose it is a little funny if you get someone wanting to buy an '07 but otherwise... worthless at best.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:16 PM
iamjpad
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is one long laundry list

I've done regular maintenance items (All brakes, oil, plugs, filters etc).
The electronics for me are well below the quality expected from a luxury mark.

I've had warning lights that thankfully resolve themselves (I think !!).

The dipping lights have glitched on startup during cold weather, with a warning message.

Had a low battery warning in winter out of the blue. Went to dealership, did all sorts of tests and nothing...Their answer was, it was probably a glitch..Still paid for the diagnosis though..wasteful

The window switches are very poorly made. Thankfully they are easily replaced and there is market for these so I'm sure they know about it. My passenger side window switch failed to work. Given how little use it got, I'm confused why it failed. However I bought a replacement and self-installed in 10mins (Ignore the dealer saying they needed to remove the door panels to change these. They pop right out.)

The same type of window switch is also used for the trunk opening switch on the driver door and just like clockwork, it also does not work.. Still trying to find a replacement.

Garage switched me to Motul 5w40 and it's smooth, but recently got a low oil warning, turns out this is a common occurrence and can occur to anyone at anytime. I never had this issue running Mobil 1 0/40 though. Either way, 1 had to add 1.5 quarts which for me is a lot. I only had the oil changed 4 months ago. hmmmmm....

Park Sensor goes schizo when it rains. Drives me crazy until I figured out how to shut it off...LOL.

Had the alignment redone, it was seriously off. In it's defense I literally blew a tire on a pot hole. So this was necessary.

I have an ML350 and a 4Runner and I have to say they have a better build quality for me than the Cayenne. But the Cayenne is still my goto car..
Old 06-22-2015, 03:28 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by iamjpad
That is one long laundry list

I've done regular maintenance items (All brakes, oil, plugs, filters etc).
The electronics for me are well below the quality expected from a luxury mark.

I've had warning lights that thankfully resolve themselves (I think !!).

The dipping lights have glitched on startup during cold weather, with a warning message.

Had a low battery warning in winter out of the blue. Went to dealership, did all sorts of tests and nothing...Their answer was, it was probably a glitch..Still paid for the diagnosis though..wasteful

The window switches are very poorly made. Thankfully they are easily replaced and there is market for these so I'm sure they know about it. My passenger side window switch failed to work. Given how little use it got, I'm confused why it failed. However I bought a replacement and self-installed in 10mins (Ignore the dealer saying they needed to remove the door panels to change these. They pop right out.)

The same type of window switch is also used for the trunk opening switch on the driver door and just like clockwork, it also does not work.. Still trying to find a replacement.

Garage switched me to Motul 5w40 and it's smooth, but recently got a low oil warning, turns out this is a common occurrence and can occur to anyone at anytime. I never had this issue running Mobil 1 0/40 though. Either way, 1 had to add 1.5 quarts which for me is a lot. I only had the oil changed 4 months ago. hmmmmm....

Park Sensor goes schizo when it rains. Drives me crazy until I figured out how to shut it off...LOL.

Had the alignment redone, it was seriously off. In it's defense I literally blew a tire on a pot hole. So this was necessary.

I have an ML350 and a 4Runner and I have to say they have a better build quality for me than the Cayenne. But the Cayenne is still my goto car..
If you have a turbo and use it the oil consumption is normal. If not a turbo???
Old 06-22-2015, 03:34 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

double post

Last edited by mtnrat; 06-22-2015 at 03:35 PM. Reason: double post
Old 06-23-2015, 12:46 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

My 05 V6 is bumping 130k. I beat the hell out of it. I tow, I put building supplies and recycle in the cargo area, I put two kids and two dogs in the back seat, I strap furniture to the top, my daily commute is 20 minutes at a max speed of 35mph.

I've done brake pads and rotors, downpipes, fuel pumps, and the cardan shaft. I consider these all to be normal wear out and high-mileage items.

My interior has broken pieces (notably the vents and ashtray in the rear seat), the driver's visor flops down (I have it rigged with a binder clip), the cargo area carpet is stained and looks like it has mange, there are scrapes on the flanks, cracks and scuffs on the bumpers. The front bumper cover was damaged when I hit a deer, it's since been repaired using copious amounts of epoxy, with new inserts made from gutter screening.

Maybe you got a lemon, maybe your P!g has been abused. In any case, it's not typical.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:55 PM
Corso
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
My 05 V6 is bumping 130k. I beat the hell out of it. I tow, I put building supplies and recycle in the cargo area, I put two kids and two dogs in the back seat, I strap furniture to the top, my daily commute is 20 minutes at a max speed of 35mph.

I've done brake pads and rotors, downpipes, fuel pumps, and the cardan shaft. I consider these all to be normal wear out and high-mileage items.

My interior has broken pieces (notably the vents and ashtray in the rear seat), the driver's visor flops down (I have it rigged with a binder clip), the cargo area carpet is stained and looks like it has mange, there are scrapes on the flanks, cracks and scuffs on the bumpers. The front bumper cover was damaged when I hit a deer, it's since been repaired using copious amounts of epoxy, with new inserts made from gutter screening.

Maybe you got a lemon, maybe your P!g has been abused. In any case, it's not typical.
Lol..... Best post ever.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:38 PM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

My 12 Range Rover sport, paid $101,750 for it , wait 26 weeks to get it...

Day 1, no am/fm radio signals... did even take it home after signing papers they had it for 13 days, had to replaced 2 wiring harnesses, finally had a fully functioning sound systems.

4K, all front end bushing replaced, constant " thunking" when going over bumps or pulling into driveways.
6K front diff replaced, housing cracked sometime before or after sitting at logan airport for 2 weeks.
10K ECU replaced, wouldn't start up
12K all keys replaced, wouldn't recognize all the keys
16k 2 electric water pumps, and radiator
18K main mechanical water pump started leaking
24K unknown vibration above 50mph, both drive shafts replaced, rear diff, rims, tires, then transfer case and solved.
35K tranny replaced
43K supercharger replaced seals went and leaked motor oil all over the engine bay and my garage.
48k viscus fan clutch replaced would stay on all the time
50K, 50K service they called me told me to keep the loaner for a few days and they'd call me when parts were in and it was ready. They replaced rear main, cam shaft seals, and timing chain cover seals.
65K sunroof wouldn't close, headliner and entire sunroof assembly was replaced
72K front air suspension bladders started to leak. $1460 each
74K air pump for suspension system died, $1500 extended warranty $100 deduct
80K GPS/info screen died, dash removed screen replaced warranty 100 defect
82K front cats replaced, 2 OS sensors
86K rear door stationary window seals oxidized complained to LRNA, replaced goodwill
94K non-replaceable battery in key died, ( recharges off ignition) $375 new key , $250 labor to re-program new key and spare key to vehicle
100K tech found replaced tranny leaking , New tranny replaced 3rd time because LR doesn't service trannies they just replace them and send them back to ZF.( yes I know dumb)
110K front diff leaking again, but at outer seals, replaced all seals, wheel bearings, front rotors, pads, and 2 tie outer rods
125K lower ball joints and control arms to pass state inspection
128K HVAC fan died, warranty $3200
136K bluetooth module died, $450 + labor
150K rear air bladder faults, battery replaced, problem goes away
155K alternator died
165K rear lower control arms $2900
172k Rear air bladders faults, need replacing $980 each, 1.5 days to replace, needs front and rear brakes $2300, needs full service all fluids changed, plugs, etc $2100, ......... Bought 14 Cayenne Turbo S...

So if you guys think a few problems with porsche is a huge concern... Think again... these " P!Gs" aren't anything to be honest with you. Go on the rangerovers.net site and look at the daily complaints of rovers not starting, trannys locking up or going into limp mode, thunking in frontends that LR engineers haven't fixed , and the many many complaints about the crappy infotainment system and the sanyo quality meridian sound system that sounds like crap, finishes that peal, flake off or fade, leather that falls apart, and the list goes on and on.

Now... I will say I loved my rovers they went anywhere in any weather... BUT owning a rover is like having 10 significant others to keep happy and maintained, not to mention you couldn't pass a gas station without looking down to see if it gas hog needed to be fed, at best I got 14 mpg with cruise control set to 64 mph, it avg 11.2 combined. So all in all if you want a maintence free vehicle go buy a toyota or lexus and stop whining. If you want something that makes you smile and giggly when you are cranking past people keep your porsche. If you want the ultimate high maintenance go any where vehicle go buy a range rover, but I promise you, you'll get to know the rover service advisers & techs really well .

Last edited by cwazyeurodrivr; 06-25-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Audi Allroad takes the cake....

I had the 2002 C5 Audi Allroad quattro. In four years time - I spent double the purchase price in repairs and service. I could NOT keep the car running trouble or CEL-free for more than 28 days.

Now, lemme go fix my squirting fuel filter flange.....

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne Reliability and Problems