Sponsored by:

First Cayenne drive - not what I expected

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 06:33 PM
matmanx1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts
Default First Cayenne drive - not what I expected

I've started thinking about replacing my Infiniti G37 coupe that is my daily driver. I've got a large list of autos to test drive (I'm thinking about buying two, one "fun" car and one for more utilitarian purposes) so today I went and test drove an 04 Cayenne S.

Having owned an 07 Boxster for awhile I was expecting something that felt a little more sports car but still comfortable. The Cayenne just felt heavy and slow. The steering was nice and direct but it did not in any way feel like it wanted to get up and run, which was disappointing.

I realize that the Cayenne S is a very heavy truck but I was really hoping it would have more pep and vigor.

Of course this is the first one I drove and it had 90,000 miles on the clock (although judging by the service history it had been well maintained) so perhaps there was something off about it. I'm going to need a larger sample size to make a determination but the first one definitely did not feel very "Porsche" like.

Are my expectations just out of line? I'm not really an SUV guy so I don't know what they are supposed to feel like.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:26 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I would say your expectations were a bit out of line, but it also sounds like maybe there was something off too.

Many people talk about the P!g vs a 911 which is bad enough, but a Boxter to it? That has to be Porche's most dynamic and nimble platform (even if some 911 guys don't want to admit it) and a full size SUV just can't act like that. Compare it to any other SUV in its class and it's good points become obvious. You might also look for one that has the performance options (PASM, Air, PDCC, PTV (did the older models have that?)).

Depending on your budget, the 958 dropped a bunch of weight. It's certainly no 9x6, but I took my Diesel (with no performance goodies) for a day of AutoX and was able to hold my own and the stock 996 and older 911s (the Boxters and Caymans kicked everyone's ***).

The 955/957 were heavy, but the S has always a decent performer. Unless you just had ridiculously high expectations your disappointment in its power makes me think maybe something isn't quite right.

Given that you are looking at an 04, take a look at a Turbo. They aren't much more expensive at this point.
Old 04-25-2015, 08:01 PM
matmanx1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Yeah I think my expectations were out of wack and the 1st gen Cayenne was certainly the slowest/heaviest, even in S trim. I'm going to look around for a turbo and possibly an 08 or later in S trim, even those will be more money.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:44 PM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I was disappointed with the 405hp 09 GTS I drove, but considering it weighs about 5000lbs it moved right along. I ended up buying an 08 Turbo with PASM and PDCC and it's damn quick and corners like no other SUV.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:40 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Definitely drive the turbo! Maybe your expectations were a bit off. However, the Cayenne takes some getting used to. It just doesn't feel natural to drive a big heavy sub like a sports car. When you get used to one on a daily basis, provided you really do have some driving skills, you will be very suprised at just how high the limits of the beast actually are.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default +1

Your comments are not unreasonable, in fact I was in your position just a few months ago.

My initial feedback after driving one (955 S) recently was, "that doesn't feel like a Porsche". But again I was comparing it to a 997.1 GT3 RS and C2S in our extended Porsche family. I needed time to digest and drive a few other SUV's to really decide if it was the type of car experience I wanted. After driving other makes I was right back at Porsche with realigned expectations and renewed focus for something of the sporting variety, namely the GTS and Turbo. The 957's seemed to have taken plunge value wise making it great timing for me.

I'm a few weeks into my GTS ownership and I can't wipe the grin off my face. The best way to describe it is it has all of the benefits of a truck with a heck of a lot sporting ability. Trucks I typically find as sledgehammers, under braked, under dampened, and I find you're on the gas almost all of the time. The GTS has amazing handling which means higher cornering and shoot speed meaning less ham-fisting the gas as you tackle on ramps etc.. Brakes are insane. The GTS drives a lot smaller than it looks. It's the ultimate do it all vehicle IMO.

In my experience Porsche's come right down to the unit, mileage, history, options. Get behind the wheel of as many examples as you can. Make a bucket list of the must have and nice to have options. IMHO I would use the budget you set aside for two vehicles and get one, a Turbo or GTS!

Old 04-25-2015, 11:51 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Keep in mind that there's a reason the Porsche purists (and some 'not so purists') call it "The Pig."

Compared to any Porsche car, it's big and heavy; slow and ponderous.

Compared to any other SUV, however, it's amazingly fast and nimble.

And a 955 turbo will definitely set you back in the seat. Mine (05) will top 90 by the end of a freeway ramp with no difficulty.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:06 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I test drove an 05 S and it was an under whelming experience-I just purchased a 2006 turbo S the difference between 340 and 520 HP is pretty impressive- it is a heavy beast but with enough HP it becomes a good cruiser.
Phil
Old 04-26-2015, 03:21 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From quite a lot of experience, the 957 GTS without PDCC still handles better than the 957 turbos with PDCC as the suspension tune is quite a bit different and it rides a little lower in normal operation. However neither is a slouch with the turbo out accelerating the vast majority of cars on the road.

Well Porsches in general are known as "Porkers" whilst the "P!G" designation I believe originated on this forum due the frequency with which the "!" warning appeared in the instrument cluster.

Last edited by mcbit; 04-26-2015 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:22 AM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2004 CS and a Cayman. They are totally opposite cars. I like them both for very difference reasons. When I am going to work I take the SUV. Stereo sounds good. It's very quiet, has good visibility. And I can tow crap.
It gets 14-18mpg.
On days I'm home and the weather is nice I take to cayman. What a blast to drive. Fast, handles like nothing else. (Ok lotus Elise) it's a fun car. Fast or slow. My wife who is a car snob likes both vehicles. When I get home I'm always finding the seat in the cayman pulled forward.

But the cayman can't do this...
Old 04-26-2015, 11:31 AM
cwazyeurodrivr
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by matmanx1
I've started thinking about replacing my Infiniti G37 coupe that is my daily driver. I've got a large list of autos to test drive (I'm thinking about buying two, one "fun" car and one for more utilitarian purposes) so today I went and test drove an 04 Cayenne S.

Having owned an 07 Boxster for awhile I was expecting something that felt a little more sports car but still comfortable. The Cayenne just felt heavy and slow. The steering was nice and direct but it did not in any way feel like it wanted to get up and run, which was disappointing.

I realize that the Cayenne S is a very heavy truck but I was really hoping it would have more pep and vigor.

Of course this is the first one I drove and it had 90,000 miles on the clock (although judging by the service history it had been well maintained) so perhaps there was something off about it. I'm going to need a larger sample size to make a determination but the first one definitely did not feel very "Porsche" like.

Are my expectations just out of line? I'm not really an SUV guy so I don't know what they are supposed to feel like.
Both have their purposes, both have their pros and cons. SUV to SUV good comparison, compact roadster to SUV ??? what are you smoking or drinking and why aren't you sharing? You are comparing a 2500lb car that's 3" off the ground, to a 5500 lb SUV that is 7+" off the round. That is like comparing a 2002 25" tube TV to a 2015 65" Plasma or 4K HD Tv....

Both have their purposes, both have their pros and cons. SUV to SUV good comparison, compact roadster to SUV ??? what are you smoking or drinking and why aren't you sharing?

I went from Range Rover supercharged 510 hr to the Cayenne Turbo S 550hr 2K lb difference, shorter, not as tall as the rover, not as much interior room, go almost anywhere ( with right tyres on it) in any weather without a question in my mind, it handles like almost like a 911, quickest SUV on the road, fit and finish is much better than a rover. I can honestly say friends have said to me " did you just laid? look at you glowing" and I've responded " nope, just kicked in the turbos getting here...that freaking Porsche Cayenne turbo is orgasmic to drive"

Now.... I will say the infotainment system needs to be updated, I put in the survey I got from Porsche " steal the Audi MMI system already! put it in the Porsche brand!", Rover infotainment system is MUCH MUCH worse, atleast the Porsche system is somewhat intuitive.

I clicked over 9300 miles yesterday, except for a software update, it hasn't used a drop of oil, it's been rock solid, just put the 21 summers on and I'm very happy with my move from many range rovers to porsche.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:52 AM
Rickyuk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before buying my 04 S I drove many Cayennes to compare. I agree I found a lot of differences in performance. Why I don't know. The one I settled on was quiet when running and pulled well under acceleration. Considering the weight it's all I want in an SUV.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:49 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Keep in mind that there's a reason the Porsche purists (and some 'not so purists') call it "The Pig."

Compared to any Porsche car, it's big and heavy; slow and ponderous.

Compared to any other SUV, however, it's amazingly fast and nimble.

And a 955 turbo will definitely set you back in the seat. Mine (05) will top 90 by the end of a freeway ramp with no difficulty.
^This. Compared to any other SUV made - the Cayenne is Michael Phelps. Don't compare the piggie to a 911 or even a death trap 370z/G37....
Old 04-27-2015, 12:48 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,246 Likes on 782 Posts

I think you have to realize that when the first generation Cayenne S was launched, 340 HP was considered quite powerful. The 911 Carrera 4S of that era had a 320 HP engine. As the performance SUV has evolved, vehicles have gotten more powerful and faster. My 2014 Audi SQ5 would blow the doors off of my old 2004 Cayenne S. Heck, my GMC Sierra 1500 has more HP than my Cayenne did.

If you want performance from a first generation Cayenne, then look at turbos as others have suggested.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:05 AM
jpru2001
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Its an SUV. Go drive a Tahoe and then go back and drive the S again. You will feel like you are in a track car.

Quick Reply: First Cayenne drive - not what I expected