Sponsored by:

Towing with your Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 09:11 AM
turbosporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Does your trailer have surge brakes? Those work without input from a brake controller. Trailex does offer surge brakes as an option which you probably have.

As mentioned above, if equipped with the tow package, a 958 Cayenne has a wiring harness to plug a brake controller into. Otherwise there isn't one! There is a "towing control unit" but that is not a brake controller.

Get yourself a brake controller if you do not have surge brakes; I wouldn't listen to "everybody" that told you not to use one, unless those people all have surge brakes, too!
No my trailer doesn't have a surge brake on it. Yes I'm very familiar with them as I've towed many different types of trailers in the past.

I'm gonna hook up a multimeter and or scope later today and test voltage outputs
Old 04-06-2015, 12:16 AM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I tow a 20ft enclosed Featherlite that has electric brakes with my '13 CD. I currently use the Prodigy RF controller but I also wired up a Tekonsha P3. I have used both as they are very compatible and I can easily adjust trailer braking force depending on the load. If trailer brakes are available, I'll use them. Really helps (is required) in emergency braking situations.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:21 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

@ stronbl - Did you wire them up yourself (or Indy / dealership)??
- How did you locate the wiring harness under your dash? (any helpful hints there??)
Thanks,
=S
Old 04-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Prodigy RF is a no-brainer silly easy. Mount RF module on trailer, plug in, pair remote. Been using for almost a year and it works great. Handheld remote is excellent for changing braking forces easily.

Only downside: I had to use a buddies truck to pair the remote. This is documented, but for some reason the cayenne didn't supply the right signal to the module on the trailer. Once it is paired, it works perfectly. What had to be done, simply plug rf module into buddies truck, turn on truck, pair remote. Done. Only had to be done once.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:50 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
@ stronbl - Did you wire them up yourself (or Indy / dealership)??
- How did you locate the wiring harness under your dash? (any helpful hints there??)
Thanks,
=S
Yes. I wired it myself. There are a few documents on how to do it on Rennlist and also Renntech (link below). It is pretty easy. Search Brake Controller.

As for locating the plug under the dash, again there has been quite a discussion on it from earlier Cayenne models. It is wrapped in a grey foam cover. You need to take off the lower dash trim panel (below the steering wheel) so you can get access. You will also need a flashlight so you can see up in the wiring area. If I recall it is near the top of the dash and slightly left of the steering wheel (as you look out the front windscreen).

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...+%2Bcontroller
Old 05-12-2015, 02:39 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

In an effort to keep this particular thread accurate ( & up-to-date)...

Link to other RL post where this is/was discussed at length as well ::
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-2011-c-s.html

My status?? - Rather be safe, than sorry. So I went ahead with the purchase / installation. As I mentioned in the above thread, I did find the gray foam wrapped 4 prong connector under my dash ('12 958 CTT). I proceeded to purchase a Tekonsha P3 - $144 Amazon Prime ( model chosen due to direct experience with friend's 957 CS, also our PCA Pres), and have completed the installation (ez-peezy).

Now I just need to actually TOW with it, and see how well it all performs.
=Steve
Old 05-12-2015, 03:12 PM
turbosporsche
Intermediate

Default does the car need to go to shop

So I installed my factory hitch and when I hooked up the trailer the self level ing air suspension kicks in. So I'm not sure if it still needs to go to be programmed
Old 05-12-2015, 04:24 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

I guess I'll be figuring that out soon too (ie. what the air suspension does once I hook up).

Although I am using the www.weigh-safe.com 4" drop hitch setup, so I will immediately be able to see the tongue weight, and can adjust ball height to be in safe range (no < 10%, no > 15%).

Old 05-13-2015, 12:20 PM
BE455
Advanced

Cool hitch / ball mount. Haven't seen that before. Pretty pricey though...
I personally just use a Sherline scale and a fixed 2" drop ball mount (about half the cost). If I change anything substantial in terms of how I've loaded the trailer (different car, more spare wheels, etc.) then I just recheck the tongue weight and adjust car position as needed. Once you've got your setup though, can just mark the spot and shouldn't need to constantly monitor tongue weight necessarily. But I do like gadgets... and that one is pretty nifty.

To the other post above, if the hitch wiring was not factory installed, my bet is some programming with PIWIS will be needed still. I don't mean the under-dash plug for the brake controller - that's already good to go. But when I hook my trailer up, the Lane Change Assist turns off (with a transient warning on dash), the rear backup radar turns off... all things the car does now knowing a trailer is there. I'd guess that type of stuff doesn't happen unless with PIWIS the programming was active...
Old 05-13-2015, 01:05 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

@ BE455 re: Sherline -vs- weigh-safe - price comparisons...

I had not seen those Sherline scales, so just looked a few of them up. That's a cool option if you already have a tongue ball hitch. I did not. So for me, I really only paid $80 higher than the local trailer store was selling the Chinese steel adjustable ball hitch ($199 + tax). So for me, it was much less expensive verses buying a $200 hitch/ball, and then buying a Sherline Scale.

+1 on the PIWIS programming, if your Cayenne did not already come with the towing package.

Thanks for all the continued info!!
=S
Old 05-13-2015, 02:47 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Another reason I went the weigh-safe hitch route,...

I've been rear-ended several times (4Runners) in the last decade (lots of phone use on the road these days),... And so I am now in the habit of keeping my hitch inserted at all times. The re-ending I got 4 yrs ago, the lady's front end was completely trashed, and since she hit me square (straight line-up at a stop light),... my 8 yr old 4Runner was barely scratched.

And thus keeping just the insert shaft (not the ball&scale) looks high tech & fitting of a Porsche...
I keep it inserted at all times....
=S

Old 07-03-2018, 05:41 PM
Wolverine768
Cruisin'

Ok so I am totally confused here!! I have a 2013 Turbo. Came without factory hitch. I have the draw-tite hitch arriving today. What else do I need to tow a small trailer(control lights maybe control brakes). Prodigy RF? Do I need wiring? HELP!! I bam coming off a tacoma pick up with tow package roof rack etc. I need more capacity for gear!(yes I also have naked roof so Im getting a roof rack(hopefully used Rhino Vortex)
Old 07-03-2018, 10:39 PM
Tom M
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolverine768
Ok so I am totally confused here!! I have a 2013 Turbo. Came without factory hitch. I have the draw-tite hitch arriving today. What else do I need to tow a small trailer(control lights maybe control brakes). Prodigy RF? Do I need wiring? HELP!! I bam coming off a tacoma pick up with tow package roof rack etc. I need more capacity for gear!(yes I also have naked roof so Im getting a roof rack(hopefully used Rhino Vortex)
I recently added a Draw-Tite to my 2001 CS including all the wiring. You can read about it here if you haven't done so already. The only tricky part is making sure you get a control module which works for your year. Since the 2016 That Eskimo1 has used an 'F' module that should also work on you 2013 as it worked for my 2011. You can confirm that by looking up the parts on the dealer parts websites and also on eBay for used modules. I'm guessing that the VW wiring harness will work for your year and it's much cheaper than the same Porsche branded harness. Either find a module/harness at a local wrecking yard or search eBay for the same kit. Once installed simply have the dealer do the coding and you're all set.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:35 PM
Twintipin13
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally got to put the CTT through its paces. Pulled the boat like there was nothing back there.

Old 07-25-2018, 03:51 PM
Twintipin13
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Random question, what air suspension height do you run your Cayenne in when towing? Do you find normal or Sport heights to be better?

Quick Reply: Towing with your Cayenne