Sponsored by:

2013 GTS vs 2012 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2015, 11:44 PM
McCayenne
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 GTS vs 2012 Turbo

I've been spending a lot of time on the forums to research a purchase of a Cayenne. I'm coming over from BMW and after driving the Cayenne I'm ready to convert. I plan to keep the Cayenne for a long time so any advice would be greatly appreciated. I've found and drove 2 that are priced the same but the Turbo actually has several more options:Panoramic Roof, Rear Air, Prem Pkg Plus, Anthracite Birch. Remaining warranty is about the same neither are CPO'd

2013 PC GTS Gray/Blk 12k miles
2012 PC Turbo BLK/BLK 20K miles
Obviously the Turbo has the edge for power but the GTS has a great sporty feel.
Thoughts?
Old 03-29-2015, 04:22 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Love these 1st world problems. If it were me, I'd go with the turbo. If you really like the sportiness of the GTS, it's far easier to make the turbo more like the GTS than the reverse. Besides, I've never heard anyone with a turbo say "shoot... I wish my truck didn't have these lousy turbos."

Since the plan would be to keep it for a while, the 1MY and 8k miles will make very little difference in the value. The 2012 is further down the depreciation curve already which IMO makes it the better buy.
Old 03-29-2015, 04:54 AM
McCayenne
Intermediate

Do you know if it's possible to put an aftermarket rack on a vehicle with a panoramic roof that doesn't have factory rails?
Old 03-29-2015, 06:19 AM
McCayenne
Intermediate

Option 1:http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...93885012&Log=0

Option 2: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...93707203&Log=0
Old 03-29-2015, 11:24 AM
TD Pcar
Advanced

Turbo - no contest. I love the GTS but you'll get WAY more for your money with the turbo. The main things going for the GTS are color (I have Jet black & it is a pain to maintain), and if I had to get 21" wheels I like the Sport 21s better than the Turbo II wheels. The turbo's interior is nicer overall, 4-zone AC rocks and don't forget 500hp with massive torque. All things considered, I'd buy that turbo in a heartbeat.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:38 AM
McCayenne
Intermediate

Package wise I'm leaning the same way. Love the Gray/Black, rims and want roof rails but the Turbo has more extras A/C, leather, panoramic roof etc and more power at the same price. Does anyone know if you can put aftermarket rails on? Need a rack for surf/snow boards.
Old 03-30-2015, 12:07 PM
Greg81
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went through the same process/dilemma! I opted for a 2013 GTS that looks nearly identical to your link (except that it has 20" RS rims and panoramic roof). The panoramic roof makes a huge difference on the feel of the interior, especially with the black alcantara headlining. The other big between these two (turbos not included) is the seats. The GTS has the sport seats with heavy side bolsters and alcantara centers (which I liked) vs the 14 way leather in the turbo. I would sit in both and see what you find more comfortable as that could be a big deciding factor if you plan on keeping the car for a number of years. Sound/driving experience wise...GTS wins hand down under standard driving conditions (commuting etc.).
Old 03-30-2015, 12:50 PM
McCayenne
Intermediate

Thx Greg
I agree with your thoughts and have been finding it hard to find that perfect Cayenne(love the Gray GTS). I'm a daily surfer and rack is a must but not many Cayennes out with rails. Can you put a rack on the panoramic roof? I like the look but already get a lot of sun (SoCal native) so it'd be closed most of the time except evening/night. Does it make the cabin hotter during the day?
Overall leaning GTS but the power/resale value of a similar priced Turbo is tempting.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:06 PM
Greg81
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I know, the official stance is that you cannot add aftermarket roof rails to a cayenne, they have to come installed at the factory. I'm sure there are some workarounds for this, but it is very unlikely that you could have them installed at a dealer.

Here in new England, we take all the light/sun we can get. If you are going to keep the roof closed most of the time, you likely wont miss the panoramic roof as much. Definitely gets hotter in the summer, we've had these large glass roofs in our X5 and Q5 and you can definitely tell the difference on hot/sunny days.
Old 03-30-2015, 02:50 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

I just went through the same comparison / process, and just 2 months ago bought a 2012 958 CTT. I had a looong list of options that I wanted, and the Turbo satisfied MANY of them (PDCC, PTV, Tow Pkg, Roof Rails, White/Espresso-Cognac, Burmester, 4-zone, Sport Design with 21's & color matched Arch Ext, etc).

The results from research on the ROOF RAIL question: Unlike the 2010 & back models, the E2 series do not have the built in cavity to install roof rails at the dealership. I had heard there are a couple Indy shops in the US that are willing (but are you?) to drill through the paint/roof, and install anchors so that the factory roof rails can be installed. Although I could NOT find out how the heck they could find the exact right spot to hit frame underneath. Is there a schematic/measurements so that a Indy could find the EXACT right spot to drill? My fear was that they did not anchor into the frame, but simply in the roof panel. But maybe there is frame along that entire roof area, and it is easy for them to hit frame member underneath. I was not willing to take the chance (& the logistics, time & $$ to make that happen after I purchased).

I'm a Kiteboarder now, but my wife still Windsurfs. So on trips to Hatteras, we end up with my kites inside & Windsurfers on top. But family vaca trips are SO MUCH easier with roof racks & soft top carrier.

It took me about 5 months to find the right 958 Turbo. I'm happy I waited till the right one came along. Plus (crazy as this sounds), it was close to 50% on the orig MSRP dollar. Heck of a deal in my book. But if you want to buy now, and these are the two choices, and you MUST have roof rails,... then it sounds like the GTS might be the right one.

=Steve
'91 964T
'12 958 CTT
Old 03-31-2015, 02:28 AM
McCayenne
Intermediate

Wow sounds like your patience paid off! How many miles did it have?
I had the GTS inspected it came back pretty clean (only 12k miles/18 months on Man. warranty) but it looks like it had a full repaint(dealer denies it). Inspector says it was well done but it makes me wonder about their integrity.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:36 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Yea, a full re-spray would make me wonder why too. Especially in this day of protective clear bras. If it was a PPI that uncovered the re-spray, and the PPI told you there was absolutely nothing else wrong with it (ie, an accident that warranted a total re-spray), and the carfax was clean,... well then it might make the decision difficult not to go with it. But you know that re-spray will always weigh on your mind,... especially since you're near the ocean a lot, with all the salty air.

And AGARubberDuck made a good point about the depreciation curve. I was looking for a 2011 or a 2012 for that exact reason. My rationale came down to how far off the MSRP the depreciation had taken the vehicle,... as long as it had the "main" portion of my option-want-list. My mark for a CTT was if it had dropped $55k or more, I would be happy with the price. I was finding 2011's that were $60k less than original MSRP, but didn't always have the options or color combo that I wanted. It takes patience to keep looking every day. Plus I had to take into account my willingness to transport it from a distance (I was not ruling out cross country).

To answer your ques: It had 16k miles, and was orig purchased in June of 2012, so I still have 1.5 yrs of orig Porsche warranty. A bonus was that the original owner had purchased a PSMP, which transferred to me as 2nd owner. It still has several oil changes, spark plugs, 20k & 40k checkups all pre-paid for. Plus it even had some options I would not have chosen/paid-for, like illuminated door sills, crests on fr/rear, XPEL Clear on entire front end & mirrors, yachting mahogany, tinted rear LED Taillights, blacked out headlight plastic, black doorwindow trim, and even engrained "Turbo" on the console armrest.

So they are out there for sure. I am planning to keep this one for a long time, so depending on how long you keep vehicles, that can make a difference on whether you pull the trigger soon, or keep looking. You're call.

Let us know what you do!!
=Steve

Last edited by bweSteve; 03-31-2015 at 02:00 PM. Reason: spelling fix

Quick Reply: 2013 GTS vs 2012 Turbo