Sponsored by:

New to me 06 Turbo S review

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 03:00 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New to me 06 Turbo S review

Picked it up in December and have put 1500 miles on it and it now has just over 142k.

I bought it from the original owner, who had records going back to 70k. The rest I have to get from the dealrer. All the usual CTT turbo stuff has been done. Black black, original MSRP 120k.

All the trim and wheels were painted black in 2006... Not something I would normally be into, but I like it well enough. I might get some stock GTS rims with summer only tires and leave these as my winter rims. Would love to post pics, but not working from my ipad or iphone so will add when I make my way to an actual computer.

Issues that I need to address and will soon:
- TPMS not working - not even sure if the sensors are there.
- Airbag light won't reset - just tripped while in for an oil change at a place I probably shouldn't have gone to.
- Needs bluetooth. Have the factory phone so going to get one of the two products that people seem to like here - just need to find someone to install.
- Cracked drivers side mirror housing will need to be replaced.
- Wind noise - drivers door mostly, but some from the pano sunroof at higher speeds. Have read the door can be adjusted, so will try that first.
- Dipped beam warning came on once but has never been seen again. Looks like the PO had an issue with this as well per the records.
- Needs brakes, but given the cost, I will wait until performance is reduced or the light comes on.
- Paint and interior are ok, but need some attention in the way of leather conditioner and clay bar.
- Headlights a little hazed
- Needs a spare tire
- Need a 2nd key
- Needs a hitch
- Tranny can be crazy sometimes.

Most of this I knew before hand, some I didn't. I've looked here on RL about some of this stuff and will continue to research.

All of this said, I absolutely love it!! Certainly towards the top of my list in 45 cars or so that I have had. The power is amazing - maybe a tad slower than my 40th AE 996 I sadly let go last year. Brakes and handling are great too. Far better in the X5's I had new in 03 and 04. The air suspension has come in very handy and I use it regularly. I am also surprised at how effective the adjustable suspension is and how noticeable the difference is in modes. Love the interior materials, always feel like you are driving something special - like my 40th 996 and my old E39 M5. It's going to take a few thousand if not more to rectify everything listed, but I couldn't care less, it's worth it to me. I saved 100k over MSRP! Where else can you get this much vehicle for this kind of money?

Getting around 13mpg in mixed driving, as low as 12 some days and close to 16 when cruising at 80 or so. One day was getting 8, but we just had a foot of snow and I had the time of my life that afternoon. It's a power sled like no other...

My only gripe that doesn't involve the issues above is that turning off PSM changes the way the trans acts. Always starting in first, holding the gears longer, etc. As habit I always turn those systems off in any car the moment I start them, but would prefer the shifts to be like they are normally. So when I do turn it off, I leave it in manual, but I really don't do it that often and just leave the PSM on. With it's heft and size, it does not get involved too much.

Just picked up a 89 944 Turbo this week. A super car of it's time, yet the PIG will destroy in in a straight line and probably be only a couple seconds off a lap time of the 951 at some tracks, for at least a lap. ;-)

Thanks for reading and to you regular posters on here with helpful info, a special thanks to you as well!
Old 02-20-2015, 06:08 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts
Default New to me 06 Turbo S review

Have fun with it, it's addictive.
Are you planning to do any mods performance wise?
Old 02-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

No matter how bad of a day I have at work the moment I hope in the Cayenne for the drive home, it never fails me in putting a smile on my face. Nice review! Hope you get many more miles out of her!
Old 02-21-2015, 04:37 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! No performance mods planned. It's the right amount of quick. I had a modified C6 and I've decided I should have a car that quick on the street again! ;-) Well at least until I get my 996 Turbo. :-)
Old 02-22-2015, 01:40 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To fix wind noise, add a shim to the driver door. Porsche approved fix. About 30 minutes DIY job. Works perfectly.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:05 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PSM off means it will start in 1st everytime you come to a stop AND hold revs without shifting. Just leave psm on until you want to smash. The nanny is not nearly as intrusive as most other Marques. You can always manually shift too. I only turn it on when I want to hoon. I like the modified shifting when I want it. Imagine being in 3rd in high revs coming to a corner.. Let off revs and then hit it again on the exit.. Still in gear. If PSM was on it would have dumped it into 5th and then there would be no revs for the exit. However for city driving it makes the car a bit jumpy.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:02 PM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Thanks Racer, will look into that sooner than later.

Agree 100% endless... As I mentioned its a non issue unless it's slick out.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:09 PM
Bill 944 S2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting that you have a 955 & a 944. I liked my 944 S2 Cab but had to admit it was a bit of a struggle in the Chicago winter (but I did it) So, just recently I picked up an 06 TS and am as impressed as you seem to be. Both of these cars are so very different, but put a big Grin on my face equally.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:45 AM
clubracer6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill 944 S2
Interesting that you have a 955 & a 944. I liked my 944 S2 Cab but had to admit it was a bit of a struggle in the Chicago winter (but I did it) So, just recently I picked up an 06 TS and am as impressed as you seem to be. Both of these cars are so very different, but put a big Grin on my face equally.
Yep this was my issue too with my BMW's in the winter here. And it's not the snow itself, but the roads that literally buckle and crumble all over the place. 520hp is perfect for a winter beater! :-)

Quick Reply: New to me 06 Turbo S review