Sponsored by:

Review: Brushed Shift Surround by EMC2

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 02:58 AM
loxxrider
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Review: Brushed Shift Surround by EMC2

One of our fellow Rennlisters has an eBay store (gjon4832) where he sells various Cayenne parts. Some are used and in good condition while others have been refurbished, refinished, or modified by him. I found this out while searching for carbon fiber interior parts for my CTTS. I just happened to stumble upon his brushed shift surround and thought it'd make a really nice addition to my interior.

Jon's customer service is impeccable. We must have sent forty messages back and fourth about this and other parts and he was pleasant and easy to deal with the whole time. In fact, he operates a business like I would. He would rather take a loss to make things right than to do the "wrong" thing.

The particular item I bought was discounted because of a clearly noted small imperfection (a nick) in the metal. Jon made sure to make me aware of this and offered me a perfect one if I so chose. I decided I wouldn't notice or care about the imperfection, but he told me that if I didn't like it when I received it, he'd be more than happy to take it back for free (no shipping cost). This is just another example Jon's great customer service.

On to the actual item. The pictures speak for themselves I think. I would like to get some even better ones, but I think you can see that this shift surround ties very nicely into the rest of the interior. The 955 and 957 cayennes have real (but painted) aluminum trim on the center console area and also on the radio surround. However, the buttons and switches in the middle of the aluminum are a slightly darker color, shinier plastic and the strip running down the middle of the shifter is brushed aluminum which also has a bit of a darker color to it than the painted aluminum. The shift surround ties it all together very nicely.

The quality of the brushing is quite good. It isn't as perfect as you might get from a machine, but it sure is good for being done (presumably) by hand! The grain lines flow nicely with the geometry of the part and are consistent and even. I think that is one of the cool aspects about this part actually. I really enjoy things which were done by someone with a skill. Things that are honest and made with care and attention to detail. The work done on this part is just that.
The best part is that it matches the brushing on the OEM shifter well, so everything looks like factory!

You can see the little nick on the letter "C" in Cayenne. This is very hard to see unless under close scrutiny. **This was made clear to me before purchase!**

Installation only requires removal of the shifter. Then you can pull up on the shift surround and it will pop out. I can do a little write-up of how to remove the shifter if you all would like to see that.

I'm very happy with the outcome of this and can't wait to get the rest of my interior back together to take some more pictures
Old 01-04-2015, 10:46 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

Could you double check as I couldn't find that username on EBay? Thanks,

Quick Reply: Review: Brushed Shift Surround by EMC2