Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Replace the battery?

I went to pull the battery out, and when I went to remove the terminals the positive side was fairly loose. I'm thinking that was the culprit for the electrical gremlins that I was having.

The upside is that the battery checks good on the battery minder. However, the manufacture date on the battery is 2006. So it is the original battery to the car, which is really impressive.

Do I charge it up put it back in tighten the connections down and get another year out of the battery? Or do I just replaced the battery today. As far as the work to get to the battery it was fairly easy and I don't mind doing that again later on when I have to. That's not a contributing factor to the decision.

July 2006 until today, still holding 13v, fairly impressive battery.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:31 PM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You'll probably be ok with just a recharge, but weak batteries tend to manifest themselves when the temperature drops. If you live in a cold climate, its cheap insurance...

Of course, I'm in a similar situation and went with the recharge.
Old 12-31-2014, 02:53 PM
CDMC
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Impressive, but living on borrowed time. Keep in mind that a battery on its way out will put additional wear on the alternator as it has to work hard to keep a charge up. Also, you will often start experiencing strange electrical gremlins and warnings that often triggered by the lower voltage during starting.

Cayenne's batteries live longer than many batteries because 1) the OEM Varta battery is of extremely good quality, and 2) they are under the seat where they are not exposed to the heat of the engine compartment. (Heat kills batteries, but it shows up in the winter when current demands are increased). Personally, I replace batteries that live in the trunk or car every 5 years and those in the engine compartment every 4. While it short of their life expectancy, it also eliminates running out the car one morning for it to not start.

If you want to get an OEM, the Interstate AGM is a relabeled Varta. If you want to save a few extra dollars, look at the Deka made AGM batteries which are excellent quality. (A search here will give you the model numbers and the brands that relabel the Deka). Regardless, the Interstate will run you less than $250 and the Deka less than $200.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:12 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would replace it. I replace batteries every 6 years even if they check good. If you don't mind being stuck just when you don't want, keep going. Maybe you like adventure and surprise.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:26 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 290 Posts

When it comes to evaluating a battery's condition, if it is showing +12V at rest, and the same sometime later, I am most interested then in how it does under load. The major parts retailers have decent testers.

I'm impressed with an 8 year battery and as stated by others, living under the seat is a happier place for batteries. I would say that you are living on borrowed time. So you have to ask yourself what your goal is:
- Is it to see how many total months you can get out of a battery? Nothing against that. I used to do it myself before I was married.
- Is it continued reliable service? When I turn the key, it starts. Preventive battery swaps are on the list. Momma is a much happier creature with this.

Do the math. 96 months of battery life (12 x 8). At current battery costs that's anywhere between a $1.5 - $2.0 per month. So what's the trouble worth?

For under the hood batteries I replace them at between 4-5 years. I haven't had to replace any of my two AGM and one wet cell not in the engine compartment batteries and time will tell.
Old 12-31-2014, 06:29 PM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

My original 2006 battery let me down and left me stranded a few weeks ago, without any prior warning of issues. car suddenly started cutting out at idle, then finally wouldn't start. In view of the criticality of battery condition for the complex electrics/electronics in these cars, I wouldn't run it until it fails. Buy a new one, the old one doesn't owe you a penny.
Old 12-31-2014, 08:30 PM
Ebg18t
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My last battery went ghost unknowingly. If it were me I would replace before it goes when you least expected.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:20 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Replace it ASAP. It's on borrowed time that will likely run out on you at the most inconvenient time and place.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:10 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I will definitely replace it tomorrow.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:42 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Replaced. 20 mins, in the VW dealership parking lot (went with the VW branded VARTA replacement, as it was identical to the twice-the-cost Porsche brand VARTA battery).

Made a "how to" video for the procedure. Rendering now, and I'll upload it for others' use ASAP.

Thanks for the help.

Matt
Old 01-02-2015, 07:05 PM
vettefan8
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt O.
Replaced. 20 mins, in the VW dealership parking lot (went with the VW branded VARTA replacement, as it was identical to the twice-the-cost Porsche brand VARTA battery).

Made a "how to" video for the procedure. Rendering now, and I'll upload it for others' use ASAP.

Thanks for the help.

Matt

How much was the VW battery?
Old 01-02-2015, 07:51 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by vettefan8
How much was the VW battery?
2 hundo plus tax.