Sponsored by:

No voltage to trailer recept 2013 CD

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 10:57 PM
woodyTPA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No voltage to trailer recept 2013 CD

I used the factory adaptor from Suncoast on a New to me 2013 CD with factory installed tow package. Hooked the car up to trailer I bought with LED lights and got nothing on trailer or car PCM warning signals. Tried a friends boat trailer with LEDs and same thing. Votage tested the adaptor and the factory wire plug with adaptor off with turn signals and headlights on and car running, and correct terminal placement with the voltmeter leads and got no voltage. Does the harness need to be turned on in PIWIS? I checked under the dash for a factory terminal end for a brake controller to see if anything was messed with and did not see anything. The car was owned by an M.D. PCA member prior to me who only commuted with the car and did not tow ( I talked to him). The car needs to be checked into a Porsche service facility anyways to get it into a service regimen under my name so I may have them troubleshoot. any ideas??
Old 11-30-2014, 01:23 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by woodyTPA
I used the factory adaptor from Suncoast on a New to me 2013 CD with factory installed tow package. Hooked the car up to trailer I bought with LED lights and got nothing on trailer or car PCM warning signals. Tried a friends boat trailer with LEDs and same thing. Votage tested the adaptor and the factory wire plug with adaptor off with turn signals and headlights on and car running, and correct terminal placement with the voltmeter leads and got no voltage. Does the harness need to be turned on in PIWIS? I checked under the dash for a factory terminal end for a brake controller to see if anything was messed with and did not see anything. The car was owned by an M.D. PCA member prior to me who only commuted with the car and did not tow ( I talked to him). The car needs to be checked into a Porsche service facility anyways to get it into a service regimen under my name so I may have them troubleshoot. any ideas??
As I understand it if the tow package was installed other than the factory it needs to be activated with the PIWIS. Maybe the previous owner only used it as a bike rack holder or such. If it was factory installed why did you need to get adapter from Suncoast? The car should have been good to go from the factory if the tow package was installed. Another problem is that the LEDs are not drawing enough current for the car to detect them. .??
Old 11-30-2014, 12:30 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

If the tow package was indeed factory installed, then this is not normal. My 2013 CD came with factory tow. I got that plug thing from Amazon (same one sun coast sells) pulled the cover off the plug plate by hitch, installed plug. Plugged in trailer, it works with no changes at all to car.

Trailer has full LED lights (featherlite). Car detects trailer. Turns off LCA when you put in drive and pull away, disables the reverse parking sensors, also if you turn in indicators left or right, you will see an arrow with a 1 flashing green in the center tach display to indicate trailer indicators working, had a tail light connection go bad and car warned rear tail not functioning. Only negative is when parked and trailer plugged in lights flash lightly every 5-10 secs due to alarm pulses. Otherwise system is very intelligent and works great.

There is a plug up there under the dash by brake for brake controller, but I didn't use. I just got the wireless setup. I like the hand-held controller for adjusting brake sensitivity. Programming it was a pain in the butt, had to use another person's truck. Known issue with CD/Touareg. Once programmed works perfect.

Few questions/ideas:
is trailer using the flat 4 plug or round connector? - if using 4 plug ensure adapter is working ok
you can get a test plug at auto parts store
check fuses, unsure which it is, but there are 2 (maybe more?) fuse blocks, under the dash side cover on right and left sides (by mirrors, high on dash) Pop those off you'll see the fuses.
Or bring it to dealer
Old 11-30-2014, 03:28 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 259 Posts

With a 2013 I'd recommend taking it to the dealer after checking the fuses. It's under warranty. Best of luck. It is a great tow vehicle.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:35 PM
BigT
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Spyerx,
I have a 2011 CS with factory trailer package, 7-pin adapter and cable for adding load to LED lights.
All lights and brakes have worked for 2 years with a Prodigy P2 controller. However I get no +12V on the supply pin (to charge trailer battery, etc) It may have never worked, I just realized that after replacing batteries frequently. All four fuses in right side fuse panel are good. Are there any fuses elsewhere in the vehicle and does anyone know if the trailer controller automatically turns off power if it does not sense any load. All ideas appreciated. Local dealers are clueless (they actually tow their trailer for picking up customer cars without a brake controller-claiming the Cayenne controls electric brakes automatically.)

Also, for those attempting to install the more sophisticated electronic brake controllers, there is a known problem that the controller electronics at times interferes with the cayenne electronics and throws codes-my first attempt with a Tekonsha Voyager would not work with a 2011 Cayenne while working fine with our earlier 2005 model)
Old 12-02-2014, 01:21 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Unfortunately I don't know. I do not use a 'led load' adapter on my setup. The only indication I have the 12v power is working is that when my trailer is plugged in and car running, the 'charging' LED lights up on my brake backup battery on the trailer.

It is possible that 12v line does turn off when there is no load. I know that when trying to pair my RF controller it did not supply the right voltage to do so but works fine once paired. See lots of notes on this here:
http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...sha/90250.html

Instead of using a volt meter, you could try wiring up an auto tail light bulb with wires and either alligator clips or probes and test each connection on the round vehicle connection (kinda hacky but just a bulb, a couple pieces of wire, and a soldering iron would do it). This will supply load of a couple amps.

Originally Posted by BigT
Spyerx,
I have a 2011 CS with factory trailer package, 7-pin adapter and cable for adding load to LED lights.
All lights and brakes have worked for 2 years with a Prodigy P2 controller. However I get no +12V on the supply pin (to charge trailer battery, etc) It may have never worked, I just realized that after replacing batteries frequently. All four fuses in right side fuse panel are good. Are there any fuses elsewhere in the vehicle and does anyone know if the trailer controller automatically turns off power if it does not sense any load. All ideas appreciated. Local dealers are clueless (they actually tow their trailer for picking up customer cars without a brake controller-claiming the Cayenne controls electric brakes automatically.)

Also, for those attempting to install the more sophisticated electronic brake controllers, there is a known problem that the controller electronics at times interferes with the cayenne electronics and throws codes-my first attempt with a Tekonsha Voyager would not work with a 2011 Cayenne while working fine with our earlier 2005 model)
Old 12-02-2014, 06:32 PM
BigT
Rennlist Member

Duh, Thanks for the straight forward suggestion, shall try tomorrow and report results. Unfortunately I don't have an indicator light on the charger you reference.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:43 AM
BigT
Rennlist Member

Took a while to finally sort it out but here is the story. The test suggested to try a bulb for load on the +12V lead to ground did not work. All four fuses in dash are fine and electric controller and all trailer lights work fine. After consulting multiple dealers, one told me that indeed the +12V line must be turned on with PIWIS. Took car to dealer, and $120 later the +12V line is hot and charges battery, operates trailer lights and winch. So in a 2011 Cayenne, the +12V feed must be activated by dealer. Just curious why a vehicle under warranty, with a "factory installed trailer towing package" must be serviced at owner's cost to make operable. I understand safety aspect of not having a "hot line" running through car, but why not do it at dealer PDI?
Old 12-18-2014, 11:49 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

wow thanks for the report. which pin is the +12 hot?

Thinking I'll test mine even though things seem to be working right.

Quick Reply: No voltage to trailer recept 2013 CD