Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cayenne S vs TT

Old 10-06-2014, 08:48 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here you go. Turbo S doing 14.5 @ 97 mph. Should be somewhere in the mid 13 second range if it were at sea level. FWIW - Car and Driver did a Cayenne S test and it range 15 flat @93 mph. So, Turbo S is definitely down on power up here.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:08 PM
markar
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

My cayenne S towing this boat without any struggle for years now I don't have air suspansion ....

Last edited by markar; 04-23-2015 at 01:52 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:16 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a good thread, and is helping me sway my opinion from buying another S, and going directly to a Turbo from now on.

Thanks for all the input everyone. Looking forward to finding a good turbo in the future!

JR
Old 10-08-2014, 03:34 PM
brooklynkid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thx for all the replies rennlisters
I live at 7000ft so CTT seems like a better fit along with the standard air suspension .
06 is in the running its really based on price and availability at this time
brooklynkid
Old 10-09-2014, 07:47 AM
Antti66ht
8th Gear

I cannot comment on the elevation or the prices in US, but what I can say is that S is perfectly capable towing vehicle. I tow my car trailers frequently, closed trailers weight 5000lb range. Most of the time I am faster than it would be safe Anyway towing a trailer is getting wild over 60 mph, so you should keep under that...

And, yes, it is a full leather PASM model... The air suspension rocks when you want to tilt a car trailer when unloading. Sometimes ford race cars loose their natural ability to move....
Old 10-09-2014, 12:27 PM
loxner

IMO you should really look into the 2008-2010 Cayenne S. I was originally planning to buy a 955 TT, but ended up going with my 08 S for various reasons. Better looking, better engine design, more reliable, several years less wear and tear on everything, etc. If you look around, you can find them for the same price as 955 TTs of comparable condition/mileage.

Of course, I might be a little biased...love my 957 S
Old 10-09-2014, 12:56 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

I wouldn't say it's more reliable. The S suffers all the same issues that the TT does. On some cars, the FI version is more expensive to upkeep than the NA version, but that doesn't seem to be the case on the Cayenne. Engine maintenance seems to be the least expensive part of the car once you do the coolant pipes.

If power isn't your main objective, and you value the 957 looks, it's hard to argue with your point. I think the S is more than capable of towing anything at any elevation. But, a well maintained Cayenne from anywhere will wear really well if taken care of. Mine looks brand new on the inside and outside - and it's an 04 CTT with 110K on the clock. I looked at an 06 with 60K at the dealer, and it looked like it had been through the ringer. IMO - mileage doesn't really mean much on these cars as opposed to how it was taken care of.

There are other reasons I think one should look at a 957, though. The better looks combined with the updated valve body design, updated t-case motor, and very few overall TSBs related to other aspects of the car. Body seals, various programing on modules, etc. But, the motor itself isn't anymore reliable or costly than the TT version.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:07 PM
loxner

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
I wouldn't say it's more reliable. The S suffers all the same issues that the TT does. On some cars, the FI version is more expensive to upkeep than the NA version, but that doesn't seem to be the case on the Cayenne. Engine maintenance seems to be the least expensive part of the car once you do the coolant pipes.

If power isn't your main objective, and you value the 957 looks, it's hard to argue with your point. I think the S is more than capable of towing anything at any elevation. But, a well maintained Cayenne from anywhere will wear really well if taken care of. Mine looks brand new on the inside and outside - and it's an 04 CTT with 110K on the clock. I looked at an 06 with 60K at the dealer, and it looked like it had been through the ringer. IMO - mileage doesn't really mean much on these cars as opposed to how it was taken care of.

There are other reasons I think one should look at a 957, though. The better looks combined with the updated valve body design, updated t-case motor, and very few overall TSBs related to other aspects of the car. Body seals, various programing on modules, etc. But, the motor itself isn't anymore reliable or costly than the TT version.

Just to clarify: when I said a 957 S would be more reliable than a 955 TT, I was basing that more on the 957 vs 955, rather than Turbo vs S. For the most part, a Cayenne S or TT from the same generation would probably be similar in terms of reliability; I just used the 955 TT and 957 S for comparison because they are of similar price. 100% agree that maintenance history is more important than miles. Although, if the car has unknown maintenance history, the obvious benefit of lower miles is that a greater percentage of the car's life will be spent under your maintenance schedules.

Most of my views on this are based on the lengthy discussions I had with a friend who is a Porsche Master Tech. It just reflects what their dealership has seen over the years in terms of service and repair on various Cayennes.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:17 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Yeah, I agree. It's actually pretty amazing the the S and TT are basically the same motor with some turbos some other small differences. The 957 is basically the same motor as the 955 but with direct injection. And they carried this same motor from the 957 into the 958 S and Turbo. Says a lot about how good of a motor it really is - short of the scoring problems on the 955 S models.
Old 10-09-2014, 10:01 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

The 957 GTS is basically the S, but typically with the Turbo equipment and a bit more power than the 4.8L S. Some of these 957 GTS are attractively priced, so that may also be an option for you...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cayenne S vs TT