Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced valve body, TCM, still problems??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 02:03 AM
LastFrontier92
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for coming back to answer my question - I really appreciated that! Do you remember how many miles the used tranny had? Did you try replacing the used tranny that you got from eBay with the rebuilt valve body from revmax? Just curious.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:35 AM
torofluxgemini
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think resetting the adaptations only clears out the old ones. I believe it still takes some miles (or rather, cycles, up-down through the gears, under varying throttle/requested torque conditions) to adapt to the new shift behavior. After I installed my revmax valve body, my CTT shifted exactly the same as before. Harsh shifts, revving out to 5k, clunking on downshifts...

I don't have Durametric so I had to put some miles on it. After a few shifts at all kinds of different throttle conditions it started shifting up and down a lot better. (I did a few 1-4 in D mode at 10% throttle, then a few at 50% throttle, and some at WOT... etc)

It's possible that E86's car just needs to "practice" a few downshifts from 6-4 or 6-3 or whatever the correct gear is. For the first few shifts I imagine it is "shooting blind", if you reset the adaptations. If you didn't, it's trying to use the valve body the same way it used to. One way or another, the only way for it to learn is to drive and let the TCU monitor the way that the VB builds pressure, how it actuates shifts, and the wear status of the clutches.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have heard figures as high as 1000 miles for total adaptation to all conditions.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:02 PM
E86
Track Day

Originally Posted by LastFrontier92
Thanks for coming back to answer my question - I really appreciated that! Do you remember how many miles the used tranny had? Did you try replacing the used tranny that you got from eBay with the rebuilt valve body from revmax? Just curious.
I got the used trans on eBay with “60k” miles, although they could have lied about about that, impossible to know. No, I never put the rebuilt valve body in the used transmission.
I have a durametric and I have reset adaptations thousands of times. You know it resets because shift points are very very different, and the shifts are very soft. I started trying to fix this issue at 80k miles and the vehicle has 140k miles now, so I believe I’ve put enough miles to let the computer “adapt”. Ha. Transmission itself wasn’t my issue, 100% positive on that.

This is brand of transmission, Aisin Warner, is/was known for its weak valve bodies. Anyone reading this with a poor shifting 955 Cayenne more than likely has a failing valvebody. Valvebody is pretty easy to change too, even removing the whole transmission wasn’t too hard, good amount of space to work if I remember correctly.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:34 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I've experienced numerous cases of poor shifting, particularly the 2/3 and 3/2 shifts, when I had some vacuum leaks on my 2006 CTT.

A few things that messed up my shifts:

1) I once failed to seat the boost hose to the intercooler. It pooped loose under boost creating a massive boost/vacuum leak. Car threw a transmission error and lit up all the "gear indicators" on the dash. Shifted like total crap.

2) I once failed to seat the [vacuum?] line that connects under the Y pipe in front of the throttle. Messed up shifting. Drove badly, but no errors. Poorly timed shifts. Jerky/confused shifting under 2500 rpm.

3) I had a failed EVAP purge valve creating a "hidden" vacuum leak - - hidden because that valve sits behind a check valve on the turbo models, so it may appear to hold pressure, but not vacuum, depending on your testing methods. This caused rough, mistimed shifts and a contributed to shudder and a washboard feeling, particularly when the car was cold.

My hypothesis is that the transmission controller uses manifold pressure as an input and may get "confused" when there are vacuum leaks. So make sure your intake and associated vacuum/boost lines are in good condition.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:36 PM
torofluxgemini
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by E86
I got the used trans on eBay with “60k” miles, although they could have lied about about that, impossible to know. No, I never put the rebuilt valve body in the used transmission.
(TRUNCATED MESSAGE)
This is brand of transmission, Aisin Warner, is/was known for its weak valve bodies. Anyone reading this with a poor shifting 955 Cayenne more than likely has a failing valvebody. Valvebody is pretty easy to change too, even removing the whole transmission wasn’t too hard, good amount of space to work if I remember correctly.

Yes, even Aisin acknowledges that the valve bodies are weak and are made from poor materials, causing them to wear prematurely... even in some cases, by 60k miles!

So if you never put the rebuilt valve body in the new-used trans, how would it ever improve?

Lots of people have replaced their VB and experienced better shift behavior. But you have to give it some time to adapt.

Resetting adaptations doesn't change anything if the valve body in your new-used trans is still a piece of junk that is worn out!

You should put the rebuilt VB in the car and reset adaptations again and drive it a couple hundred miles under varying conditions. It needs data to be able to adapt to the new VB behavior.

A Revmax VB certainly helped fix my car's terrible shifts - and I have an 06 manufactured, 38H model trans, in an 04 car, with an 04 TCU, running an 04 style "Revmax rebuilt" VB. Though I am still getting a stored or "intermittent" code for TC lockup clutch. Hoping that goes away... I'm only 550 miles into the new VB. Going to check fluid level again soon.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:20 PM
E86
Track Day

It order to make this thread at least somewhat useful to future owners....... Most owners with a poor shifting transmission in this vehicle will likely be fixed by replacing the valvebody. Valvebody replacement a fairly simple DIY. No reset of the computer is needed, just install the proper unit which Revmax will help you with if you choose to purchase from them. You will have to drop the transmission pan and read a couple numbers from the valvebody itself. After install, all you need to do is drive, as others have stated. For anyone interested in some intensive reading, here is a link to a fun 130 page service manual for the TR60SN transmission,
https://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content...talogs/09D.pdf
also available for download here
https://www.scribd.com/doc/94362555/09D-Cayenne

My exact issue was a bit different, it started with bad shifts everywhere, but mostly an annoying 3-2 shift. After a rebuilt valvebody, I was left with just the annoying 3-2 downshift.
I put probably 20k miles on the rebuilt valvebody/transmission before buying the eBay transmission. I only bought the used transmission for fun, just to give it a try. Only $600
My journey: rebuilt valvebody>rebuilt transmission>new torque converter>new wiring>Different computer> Finally the used transmission. After each service I was always left with an annoying jerk when 3-2 occurred. Thousands and thousands and thousands of miles put on the vehicle. And still now 40-50k miles later it has not changed even the slightest. No better or worse.
I’ll never do anything else to try and fix it, these cars aren’t really worth anything and I don’t ever personally drive it. Hope this helps someone.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:00 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

+1 I'm impressed. As a WAG - probably the transfer case all along. Not that common on 955/957s - but it does happen on occasion. I believe there were modifications made to the stepper motor that controls the case also.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:25 PM
ChrisTT
2nd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

E86, Thanks for the summary and help for others. I've got a very similar situation with my Cayenne Turbo that I just put in a Revmax valve body and still have some hard shifting. Hopefully I figure it out without driving another 20k miles!
Old 11-13-2019, 07:40 AM
Ryan1
2nd Gear

Default Delayed shifting

Hi I have a 04 Cayenne 4.5 lt turbo, drives fine just driving around normally but if you stick your foot down hard, Mainly delayed up shift from second to third and I think maybe 3 to 4 but very noticeable from 2 to 3 it like it drops in to neutral and then slams in hard, I am hoping it will just be sticky solenoids, I just ordered a transgo sk 09d shift kit and filter kit but not actually going to fit the shift kit at first, just want it for the end caps for putting the solenoids back together after I take the ends off and clean out the bushings where the armature pin slides in them, if any one has any advise it would be appreciated just hoping I’m on the right track, also has anyone got any feedback about the transgo kits are they any good, also if I just do that would I have to reset to adaptation or just leave it, cheers
Old 11-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

I did the Transgo kit and it's still working great. It's been too long for me to remember all the details on the process (other than its messy and there are lots of tiny parts to keep track of) , but I seem to recall there was a writeup with pictures on the Touareg forum. You might also search for my user ID and Transgo - - I might have written about it way back. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Replaced valve body, TCM, still problems??