Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced valve body, TCM, still problems??

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 10:55 AM
E86
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jonathon, what kinds of transmission problems were you having before your engine blew? They told me it takes 3-4 weeks to get the core refund back from the time they receive the core.

I called Revmax, they didn't really seem to want to help me at all, had less than a 2 min conversation. Said I need to adjust something on the valve body, it will speed up or slow down engagement of the clutch, and he would send me an email. I attached what they sent, I think loosening the screw speeds up engagement which is the opposite of what I want. Nothing else was included in the email, just the picture.
Think I'm just going to stop at some local Transmission shops next week, someone has to be able to figure it out.
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2014, 11:31 AM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Well, you know you cant take the pig anywhere without someone trying to BBQ your rump, I would go ahead and replace the harness and adjust the screw while you are in there before you give up.
Old 09-26-2014, 11:47 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Haney
Well, you know you cant take the pig anywhere without someone trying to BBQ your rump, I would go ahead and replace the harness and adjust the screw while you are in there before you give up.
+1 it doesn't cost as much as your other options so I would go that route as well.

My trans was doing a hard 1-2 upshift, and hard 3-2 downshift. When I reset adaptation after the valve body job it seemed really good, but I had incorrect fluid level and it got bad quickly. I filled it again per the procedure and seemed pretty good but came back somewhat... I figured I was losing fluid over time causing it to come back. I did find trans fluid up to the TCM, but I thought how would that dmg electronics? It is a di-electric is it not? wouldn't it just insulate it? I'm not an electrical guy per se so I don't know these things very well. I can do wiring etc but theory of electrickery escapes me...

I prefer the mechanical stuff.

Anywho hope that helps you!
Old 10-09-2014, 01:57 PM
gbratk
Instructor

Originally Posted by E86
Jonathon, what kinds of transmission problems were you having before your engine blew? They told me it takes 3-4 weeks to get the core refund back from the time they receive the core.

I called Revmax, they didn't really seem to want to help me at all, had less than a 2 min conversation. Said I need to adjust something on the valve body, it will speed up or slow down engagement of the clutch, and he would send me an email. I attached what they sent, I think loosening the screw speeds up engagement which is the opposite of what I want. Nothing else was included in the email, just the picture.
Think I'm just going to stop at some local Transmission shops next week, someone has to be able to figure it out.
Have you try to adjust that?
Old 10-09-2014, 03:51 PM
E86
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jonathon Rolstin
+1 it doesn't cost as much as your other options so I would go that route as well.

My trans was doing a hard 1-2 upshift, and hard 3-2 downshift. When I reset adaptation after the valve body job it seemed really good, but I had incorrect fluid level and it got bad quickly. I filled it again per the procedure and seemed pretty good but came back somewhat... I figured I was losing fluid over time causing it to come back. I did find trans fluid up to the TCM, but I thought how would that dmg electronics? It is a di-electric is it not? wouldn't it just insulate it? I'm not an electrical guy per se so I don't know these things very well. I can do wiring etc but theory of electrickery escapes me...

I prefer the mechanical stuff.

Anywho hope that helps you!
I was thinking the same thing about the fluid, and the transmission shop said it usually doesn't cause any damage.

Originally Posted by gbratk
Have you try to adjust that?
Revmax emailed me about my problems, they suggested not adjusting it as they thought it had a different problem. Took it into a local shop, they found so far some bad clutch packs. I don't have any specifics yet. This was as of yesterday and they were looking into ordering parts. I'll update when I get some more information.
Old 10-13-2014, 03:06 PM
E86
Track Day

Picked it up today. They rebuilt one of the clutches, new piston and disks. And replaced the torque converter. All is well now.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:35 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 191 Posts

^may I ask who did the work and how much including labor? Thanks. Mike
Old 10-14-2014, 04:41 PM
E86
Track Day

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
^may I ask who did the work and how much including labor? Thanks. Mike
I spoke too soon, it's still not shifting correctly, it's back in the shop today.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:59 AM
gbratk
Instructor

Originally Posted by E86
I spoke too soon, it's still not shifting correctly, it's back in the shop today.
That is not good to hear!

If you ask me, it was shifting fine, because they clear TCM adaptation, so TCM was in learning mode. When my I had bad valve body, was acting as yours, and when I cleared TCM adaptation is was shifting like it should, but this last only around 100km, and then the problem came back.

It can be possible you still have valve body problems.

However keep us posted.
Old 10-16-2014, 09:32 PM
E86
Track Day

Alright. So I picked it up today, they said software update and reset the adaptations a few more time, they drove it for a day or two. Washed it too. Told me it was good to go. Pick it up and drove it, great. Shifts up smooth, no choppy downshifts while coasting. But, still an issue I just discovered. While in 6th if I give it a lot of throttle, it skips 5th (which I think it's supposed to do) slams into 4th and then immediately slams into 3rd. Does this 100% of the time from 6th gear. Also while in manual mode, up shifts ok, down shifts bad. Only played with it for a few minutes, but down shifting from 4th to 3rd is very very hard. I'm sure the shop didn't drive aggressively enough for these problems to show up in there test drives.
I just need it fixed before the snow comes, I'll be taking it back tomorrow.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:09 AM
LastFrontier92
7th Gear

Originally Posted by E86
Alright. So I picked it up today, they said software update and reset the adaptations a few more time, they drove it for a day or two. Washed it too. Told me it was good to go. Pick it up and drove it, great. Shifts up smooth, no choppy downshifts while coasting. But, still an issue I just discovered. While in 6th if I give it a lot of throttle, it skips 5th (which I think it's supposed to do) slams into 4th and then immediately slams into 3rd. Does this 100% of the time from 6th gear. Also while in manual mode, up shifts ok, down shifts bad. Only played with it for a few minutes, but down shifting from 4th to 3rd is very very hard. I'm sure the shop didn't drive aggressively enough for these problems to show up in there test drives.
I just need it fixed before the snow comes, I'll be taking it back tomorrow.
Did you ever resolve this issue?
Old 02-11-2019, 03:13 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by LastFrontier92
Welcome to the forums. I think you're a bit optimistic in asking him this question since he hasn't been here since 10-29-2014 10:29 PM,

Thats almost 5 years.

I think you might do better starting a new thread on the subject. Please include a problem description and year/model of your Cayenne - preferably in the title. That will get you the best response from people who may be knowledgeable about the problem.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:20 PM
LastFrontier92
7th Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Welcome to the forums. I think you're a bit optimistic in asking him this question since he hasn't been here since 10-29-2014 10:29 PM,

Thats almost 5 years.

I think you might do better starting a new thread on the subject. Please include a problem description and year/model of your Cayenne - preferably in the title. That will get you the best response from people who may be knowledgeable about the problem.
Got it. Thanks!
Old 02-12-2019, 09:45 PM
E86
Track Day

Originally Posted by LastFrontier92
I still have the car, gave it to my girlfriend to use. I ended up buying a used transmission on eBay, only $600, still didn’t fix it! Drove exactly the same. Last part to try would be the transfer case, but I gave up.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:51 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Wow, that is pretty wild on multiple levels:

1. You came back 5 years later to answer the question and had more information. That is epic.
2. The new transmission still did not fix it!?! Wow.

Quick Reply: Replaced valve body, TCM, still problems??