Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Year For Used Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Just an FYI. The PPI on the P!G did not catch a leaking transmission seal. After purchase, I took to over to the local dealer for a check up and they found the leak and fixed it under warranty. The PPI was done at an out of state Porsche dealership.

Next car I am buying, I am getting a PPI done by an reputed independent mechanic/shop.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:54 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

There is no good year for a used Cayenne. They're all junk. Ask me how I know.

My 2011 CTT has been in the shop more than on the road over the years.

I'd never buy another Cayenne. I don't think Porsche can build high quality cars any more. After 19 Porsche's in 21 years, I can confidently say I'm done with them. This on the heels of a 991 GT3 disaster.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:15 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I paid $18k for a used 04 CS a few years back. I did the coolant pipes preventatively. I had to replace a fuel pump which is a wear item, a horn, and the ac regulator which was easy and cheap. I am not butt hurt about these things. Pretty soon I will do the control arms and coils, plugs.. all wear items. I have not found my 955 to be problematic at all. I have owned many vw's, mercs, and a few bimmers.. this porsche is just as reliable as them. If I had bought a new porsche and it had major problems then I would be more upset. This is why I buy used cars now at the right spot in their depreciation curve.. its all about managing expectations vs expense.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:33 AM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget the rear hatch struts. They all need to be replaced.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Rickyuk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I paid $14000 for my 2004 S and it has been really reliable. It had 10300 miles on the clock when purchased and needed the usual upgrades. I changed the coolant pipes, instrument speaker, regular oil changes and a new set of 18 inch wheels from e bay due to the aluminum corroding on the originals. The coils and plugs are fine. I agree with a previous post, I would be very angry if I purchased a new one and it was in the shop for reliability issues.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:03 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

'06 CTTS and it has never left me stranded. Did the Coolant pipes in 2011 preventitive so it wouldn't leave me and the Driveshaft did go earlier this year but in 8yrs of ownership I really haven't dumped much money into it that I didn't want to (Secondary Cat deletes, Eurcharged tune, LED tail lamps, Mobridge). I did do all of the fluids in 2011 also (Tranny, diffs, and transfer case). I would definitely buy one again but it might be a Macan.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:26 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by m5james
I saw the thread where it allowed us to enter a VIN and get a breakdown of options, but naturally the link is broken. I'm just curious because I'm looking at a basically stock CTT or one that has intake, exhaust (I've only seen the mufflers, I'm not sure about the rest) and I'm still trying to determine if it has software.
Try this link with your VIN instead of the one in the link -

http://admin.porschedealer.com/reports/build_sheets/details.php?vin=WP1AD29P29LA60375
Old 08-22-2014, 10:59 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I have not found my 955 to be problematic at all. I have owned many vw's, mercs, and a few bimmers.. this porsche is just as reliable as them. If I had bought a new porsche and it had major problems then I would be more upset. This is why I buy used cars now at the right spot in their depreciation curve.. its all about managing expectations vs expense.
^This. I bought my '05 for $16k with 82k, it has 125k now. Major repairs have been typical wear-out items: cardan shaft, brakes, fuel pump, rotors and pads. I did have to do cats, but I saved a bundle using the VW part. I think I've put $3k or $4k in at my indy. About $100 a month; pretty much what I spend at Dunkin' Donuts.

Originally Posted by WHEELDYNAMICSROB
just make sure you get a PPI before you purchase any
Originally Posted by m5james
I planned on it just because I know there's little things particular to these things just like the things I've become familiar with owning BMW's.
^I wouldn't lose too much sleep over the PPI. It's a used car, probably with a fair number of miles. Just find one you like and check on the common things for that year/model being done and if it's in good shape and the price is right, buy it. Then find an indy who will work with you, be flexible in your parts searches (I buy out of wrecks if possible), and put $100 a month into a repair fund. You'll be fine.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:03 PM
loxxrider
Instructor

Thanks for that link! Got the build sheet for mine
Old 09-25-2015, 02:31 AM
Phoenix604
Banned

http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/cayenne...ng-checkpoints

Lokasil v. nikasil liners ... So after 2007... Is that how you guys understand this?
Old 09-25-2015, 10:20 AM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I think "best" can only be defined by knowing how it will be used. If you want agility for around town.....I would want the new model (think it's 958). Personally I needed something for towing, low cost, beater interior for car parts and kids that play sports.....so I found a 2006 CS.

I do think the additional 550 lbs of the old body style provides a better towing platform.

Quick Reply: Best Year For Used Cayenne?