Sponsored by:

New 2015 Cayennes announced

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 01:41 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Unit numbers in the US will decline with this refresh. The V6 Cayenne was Porsche's volume leading model, that's gone and Americans don't like diesels. The S has gone up the price curve, and doesn't have a V8. I guess Porsche is trying to steer "base" buyers into the Macan, which is too small for alot of people. I think this is a bad model refresh for Porsche, unit sales on the Cayenne in the US market are sure to be lower than they were - I guess they don't care because of the Macan, but I bet Range Rover Sport sales in the US pick up. They really need the "lesser" V6 slotted below the S, at a lower price point.
Porsche isn't a novice at the marketing game. If your predictions come true, I suspect the base model reappears.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:00 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The diesel has been the leader since it came out, not the base.

The base will also be back (though I'd bet on a turbo 4), that's a given. It's odd they stripped it from the refresh, but it's Porsche's MO to release the Turbo and S before anything else for the non-sportscar lines.

My guess is the only reason the diesel was included (as pathetic as a refresh as it was) is they don't want to break the trend on their best selling model (though the new S might take care of that on its own).
Old 07-27-2014, 11:44 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
Porsche isn't a novice at the marketing game. If your predictions come true, I suspect the base model reappears.
Dealer told me the base would be introduced in the spring. Factory is at capacity with Macan exceeding expectations. There was an anouncement that some Cayenne production would be moved to a VW plant probably the base model.
Nice problem to have huh?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:48 PM
KWP1911
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gnat
I actually prefer BMW's thicker wheels to Porsche's. I always get in the 996 after driving her e90 and feel like i'm holding onto a twig. The 958 is better, but I wouldn't mind it being a bit more substantial.
Me too. My X5 steering wheel felt much nicer than the 958's. My M5 wheel is even better.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:04 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My wooden steering wheel on the 955 has a meaty feel.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:20 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
Unit numbers in the US will decline with this refresh. The V6 Cayenne was Porsche's volume leading model, that's gone and Americans don't like diesels. The S has gone up the price curve, and doesn't have a V8. I guess Porsche is trying to steer "base" buyers into the Macan, which is too small for alot of people. I think this is a bad model refresh for Porsche, unit sales on the Cayenne in the US market are sure to be lower than they were - I guess they don't care because of the Macan, but I bet Range Rover Sport sales in the US pick up. They really need the "lesser" V6 slotted below the S, at a lower price point.
Agreed, although they WILL being a base model later, most likely a 4- cylinder Turbo, which a version of it will also be used for Macan base and Boxster/Cayman base models... It's a marketing ploy, get the enthusiasts now with the new more expensive models, and then bring the base for the more typical SUV buyers. They're probably also doing marketing studies to see how people re-act to a 4-cylinder Porsche!

Now, to me, by far the biggest disappointment of the refresh is the fact that Diesel wasn't updated, complete miss by Porsche, as there's a 300HP Panamera engine available, and even EU version of the same engine was upgraded?! and not the NA model? It's absolutely ridiculous to me!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:02 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Expectations, expectations. Mid cycle refreshes are that, just minor changes to keep the market interested. Whoever said the NAFTA customers are not interested in diesels may not know that the market has changed. Look at the diesel Grand Cherokee. Besides, the number of total Cayenne sales in the US is not that huge. Porsche will sell any available diesel, upgraded or not. At the Macan unveiling, lots of people were asking when the Macan diesel will be available.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:47 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by visitador
Expectations, expectations. Mid cycle refreshes are that, just minor changes to keep the market interested. Whoever said the NAFTA customers are not interested in diesels may not know that the market has changed. Look at the diesel Grand Cherokee. Besides, the number of total Cayenne sales in the US is not that huge. Porsche will sell any available diesel, upgraded or not. At the Macan unveiling, lots of people were asking when the Macan diesel will be available.
Any other mid-cycle refresh was more impressive that this... both in terms of engine upgrade as well as interior, features. Diesel engine is way under-powered now compared to other offerings and with new base model coming soon, as well as new more frugal "S", it's less of a value proposition than last time around.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:20 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^ agreed.
Also surprised no one is talking about weight given all the focus on "intelligent performance."
Old 07-28-2014, 06:23 PM
McQueen993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
Dropping the v8 from the S is not minor. It is a fatal flaw. IMO those spending $80k plus for a well appointed SUV will not want a v6, even if it is twin turbo. Looks like i will be keeping mine for a little while longer.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:41 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kosmo
^^ agreed.
Also surprised no one is talking about weight given all the focus on "intelligent performance."
Has the weight gone up? I missed that ... in which trim/engine?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:29 PM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by McQueen993
Dropping the v8 from the S is not minor. It is a fatal flaw. IMO those spending $80k plus for a well appointed SUV will not want a v6, even if it is twin turbo. Looks like i will be keeping mine for a little while longer.
With respect to your opinion, staying with the atmo 8 would have been fatal and Porsche saw that. Sales on V8P had become virtually non existent, heavily discounted at best and that was mainly due to the majority of SUV buyers shopping these cars recognizing the diesel as the superior power plant drive wise between the two. The V8P also drunk like a fish when pushed to deliver the same performance of the V6D and therefore became simply uneconomical for this type of car.

The V6T was the most logical way forward, more power, better torque at lower rpms, uses less fuel etc. The diesel (even though not up-rated) will still be prove the better seller and better buy long term than any V8P, or V6TP. The V6P also had to go as it simply didn't perform anywhere near the diesel either and again sucked fuel when driven hard to compete. Sales were virtually non existent as well, needless to add the constant shuffling of the gearbox in finding a gear that would provide adequate sensation was down right annoying.

I think the gen 2 will prove to be equally as good as a seller primarily because those looking for a new SUV will recognize its strengths. It will be mainly the current 958 owners (myself inc) that will not see the motivation to change.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:50 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Reading the specs on the TT V6 makes it look more attractive to me than the V8 ever could be. I haven't any idea why anybody is stuck on these V8's. This isn't 1954 where V8 meant power. Today it means too many cylinders given the new intensity possible.

The old non TT V8 made 83 hp per liter. The new V6 TT makes 117 hp / liter or an increase of almost 45%. Less displacement; more power. Why want to move backwards? What next - a desire for a pushrod flathead? I'm sure our ancestors missed that too.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:57 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Yeah and plus the obvious tuning advantages of a blown motor.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:08 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
Reading the specs on the TT V6 makes it look more attractive to me than the V8 ever could be. I haven't any idea why anybody is stuck on these V8's. This isn't 1954 where V8 meant power. Today it means too many cylinders given the new intensity possible.

The old non TT V8 made 83 hp per liter. The new V6 TT makes 117 hp / liter or an increase of almost 45%. Less displacement; more power. Why want to move backwards? What next - a desire for a pushrod flathead? I'm sure our ancestors missed that too.
I am ordering an S but wish it had the old V8. Why? I don't care about mileage as I just don't drive that many miles to affect me. The TT V6 is more complicated it also is unbalanced because it is a 90 degree block. So they added a balance shaft
to smooth out vibrations. TT, Balance Shaft adds more complexity means more chance of failure. Mercedes had such a shaft and had all kinds of related gear failures. They now build 60 degree V6's that are balanced and don't need a shaft. If you drive the V6 at part throttle the Turbos will not produce any boost and you are running a NA V6. Put your foot in it and you will use almost just as much gas as before.
I never get better than 15 MPG on my 911 around town I don't expect to even get that on my TT Cayenne but I don't care.

Quick Reply: New 2015 Cayennes announced