Sponsored by:

Cardan Shaft?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:42 PM
madburg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver Kugel
I got mine at Autozone. I just asked for some 3/8" coolant line -- the counterguy let me go back and feel the difference in stiffness between the normal coolant line (designed for hot coolant) and the tranny coolant line (designed for hot tranny fluid). If you zoom on the pictures you see an "SAE J1532" and as I recall, it was Goodyear hose.

I have had zero problem with rattle or mechanical vibration -- or even vibration conduction from driveshaft to frame. No noise whatsoever...

Dave
Silver, is this the hose you used: http://www.autozone.com/transmission...hose/4947_0_0/

What size ties? I have a 06TTS, going in under the knife this evening.

Anyone could assist with a bear grease i can buy that's widely available in box store (Auto zone, advanced auto) to repack the Cardan Shaft bearing while Jimi fixing?
Would Mobil Wheel Bearing Grease be good?
http://www.autozone.com/greases-and-...?checkfit=true

Thanks, i stayed up until 3am to finish reading this entire thread, i just couldn't stop reading. Thank you all for starting this thread and sharing experience, mileage, parts, etc.. basically my understanding is the cardan shafts hold up well, it is this rubber mount that's fails, if it was design to be easily replaced say like the motor strut, then it would be one thing, but charging 1+k for a entire unit and labor is wrong, bad design.

Last edited by madburg; 08-12-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:45 AM
madburg
Advanced

I removed the plate this evening, it seemed too easy to break the (6) 16mm bolts that should have been torqued to 44 lbs (mine are not 17mm as post in another thread), they were all clean. The two 13mm bolts had a lot of rust around the plate in the mounting holes though.

My symptoms are in 2nd gear when i tap the throttle and quickly let go sound like a tranny thud "boom". Near had this before. 3rd get attempts in the same manner is a very little thud. My engine Torque Strut is total cracked and have a new one coming in next week, could this cause the same symptom? I can't tell for sure but seem i may have some fluid on the bottom of the transfer case, can a leaking/bad transfer case cause this thud i am experiencing?

Here is picture from the front:

Here is a picture from the rear:

So clearly not torn apart, but cracks all around, do i just close it back up and torque down, or just grab a knife and razors and Jimi fix it. I got the 3/8 hose just like 'Silver' purchase from autozone and have a large bag of 75lb zip ties from other projects.

Would like to pack the bearings but just have no clue as to what grease to go with. Grease with moly or more lithium? e.g. Valvoline NLGI #2 Multi-Purpose Lithium Complex EP Grease, or Mobile 1 Synthetic Grease. Are the bearing hi-temp, hi speed?

Appreciate any advise.

Last edited by madburg; 08-13-2016 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Engine Torque Strut / Transfer case
Old 08-13-2016, 09:57 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

No need to repack bearing if the seals still holds grease. Jimi now does motor mounts, using this method!
Old 08-13-2016, 02:44 PM
madburg
Advanced

Thanks for your reply Dilberto and contributing the Jimi fix! Since i don't see any grease exiting, my understanding based on what you stated is don't bother removing the seals and repacking the grease.

Last edited by madburg; 08-13-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:27 PM
CTTS520
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
No need to repack bearing if the seals still holds grease. Jimi now does motor mounts, using this method!
Jimi fix for motor mounts? This is incredible news Please keep us updated, Dilberto. To Jimi!
Old 04-16-2017, 04:57 PM
XS29L9B
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Does anybody have the current count of successful Jimi fixes?
+1 on our 2009 Cayenne S

Fixed today, followed the directions, which were amazingly clear.

On the tie wraps though, I used ones w/ a metal "tab" vs. all nylon. They are Ty-Wrap Brand, available at Home Depot. 8" long.

The job took about an hour, and was able to fix/cure the problem. No longer sounds like a midget banging under the floorpan or armrest/console.

As an FYI, there was NO WARNING on this issue. Last night, it just went. And then, bang, bang, bang... I was only about 1.5 miles from home, so disassembled today, and the "rubber ring" was completely torn part and loose - nothing holding it together when I removed the support plate.
Old 04-16-2017, 09:23 PM
der Geist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine in late June last year. I had to redo the zip ties that held in the rubber hose pieces but that was because I did not use enough initially. I zip tied the crap out of it and haven't had a problem since. Made it through the winter just fine. Now that it's warming up I'll pull the cover and check everything again.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:49 PM
yekrahs
3rd Gear

Came here to post that I just got done with the Jimmie-Fix on my wife's 2006 Turbo S and it worked perfect. Just like most people in this thread I heard the loud knocking which prompted me to park the car and try this fix. Thanks again saved a lot of money.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:23 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

+1 on the Jimi fix. 78k miles and the stock bearing suspension was 3/4 gone.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:06 PM
Mark7000
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I had posted this on the other thread. This thread seems to have more visibility though.

"other thread", also has great pics:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...with-pics.html

2010 base. 94k miles. First felt the midget with a hammer a few weeks ago during a 3/4 throttle acceleration on an on ramp. Realized immediately (thanks to this forum) what it probably was and spent the next few weeks driving like the throttle had an egg under it while I debated on how I wanted to fix it.

I really wanted to do the EPS fix, but honestly didn't like the way the silicon points were to hold the bearing in place. It just didn't seem right. I also read every review of it on Amazon and noticed a number of them complaining about vibration and then receiving a replacement unit.

So I decided on the "Jimi fix".

I pre-made mine using 8 pieces of 1 1/4 inch long, 5/8 inch OD heater hose (Gates brand) and loosely zip tied them with medium duty black, UV resistant ties.

Jacked up the driver's side about 6 inches and used jack stands. Unbolted the bracket and was able to grab the support and by twisting it, rip it apart. Used razor blades to cut away the leftover rubber and then wrapped the new assembly around the carrier and zip tied it. This let me easily put the 4 ties, spaced every other piece of hose, onto the carrier. I then tried to slide it over the bearing.

This was not easy. I spent a good 45 minutes pushing, prying, swearing. I finally decided to use a lubricant on the hose pieces and try to mount the carrier loosely in place so with the intention of doing a slow drive around the block in hopes it would force it to slide into place.

It didn't. However, it did warm up the hose enough to make it more pliant and that after another 30 minutes I finally had success. It lined up. I then added a couple more zip ties just to make sure it wouldn't move around and bolted the bracket back up. Took it for a drive and after a few minutes, gradually worked up the acceleration to do several full throttle tries, all while keeping my right arm resting on the console.

I am going to pre make another set and keep it inside the pig, just in case it is ever needed.

A giant thank you to everyone for their write-ups, pictures and videos!

Update: I now have 300 miles on the Jimi fix with no vibrations or noises. Going on a 2,000 mile trip next week and I have no concerns since I now know I can fix this very quickly if it did fail - and I doubt it will or even can.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:22 PM
dkarmol
AutoX

Default Cardan shaft going?

First time I noticed this sound on my 06 V6 Cayenne, coming back from a car show today. I've got 73,000 miles and I am the original owner, so I know the vehicle has never been driven hard. Always garaged. The sound was not really a hammering, but sounded like a thumping, from the rear, almost like bad pavement, but definitely directly correlated to speed, and seemed to be louder on hard acceleration, and almost non-existent if I accelerated slowly. Mine is a 6 speed, and it seemed most pronounced from about 20-40mph, in second gear.
Anyone else experience these types of symptoms? Thanks for any help.

I am thinking it is the cardan shaft bearing holder and will be trying the Jimi-Fix this week. Thanks for all the posts, and pics.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:47 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Well, yes. That sounds like the typical failure. It's easy enough to see. Get the car up enough to get under it and look. Likely the rubber support is torn.

And it's kind of hard to define "hammering". If you understand that what you are hearing is the unsupported shaft bouncing around inside the bearing carrier, you will understand the sound better.

There's no metallic 'ringing' to it. It's just 'thumping'.

The 'hammering' description is:

It sounds like a midget with a hammer is under the center console beating away at the bottom of the car from underneath.

It usually comes on all at once, and can be managed with gentle acceleration for a short while.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:25 PM
dkarmol
AutoX

Question

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Well, yes. That sounds like the typical failure. It's easy enough to see. Get the car up enough to get under it and look. Likely the rubber support is torn.

And it's kind of hard to define "hammering". If you understand that what you are hearing is the unsupported shaft bouncing around inside the bearing carrier, you will understand the sound better.

There's no metallic 'ringing' to it. It's just 'thumping'.

The 'hammering' description is:

It sounds like a midget with a hammer is under the center console beating away at the bottom of the car from underneath.

It usually comes on all at once, and can be managed with gentle acceleration for a short while.
Thanks for your reply, Joe. I just took the plate down, and looked at the carrier and the rubber ring. (By the way, my six bolts took a 5/8 socket- the 17mm was too big and slipped off. The smaller bolts were 13mm, as others reported)
The rubber is fine- no breaks- and just some mild cracking around the edge. Not enough to warrant removing the rubber with a razor and doing the Jimi-Fix, IMO. Put it all back together, being careful to center the carrier. I drove around the block, and thought maybe the sound was gone, but then as I neared home, a mild thumping, from rear almost like bad pavement, but the pavement is smooth.
Could it possibly be the rear differential? Seems I have read about sounds from the differential somewhere on the forum. I don't remember having this serviced, and not sure when it should be, but I have 73,000 miles, so may have it done.
Any other ideas from fellow Cayenne owners? All suggestions appreciated.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:47 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by dkarmol
Thanks for your reply, Joe. I just took the plate down, and looked at the carrier and the rubber ring. (By the way, my six bolts took a 5/8 socket- the 17mm was too big and slipped off. The smaller bolts were 13mm, as others reported)
The rubber is fine- no breaks- and just some mild cracking around the edge. Not enough to warrant removing the rubber with a razor and doing the Jimi-Fix, IMO. Put it all back together, being careful to center the carrier. I drove around the block, and thought maybe the sound was gone, but then as I neared home, a mild thumping, from rear almost like bad pavement, but the pavement is smooth.
Could it possibly be the rear differential? Seems I have read about sounds from the differential somewhere on the forum. I don't remember having this serviced, and not sure when it should be, but I have 73,000 miles, so may have it done.
Any other ideas from fellow Cayenne owners? All suggestions appreciated.
Tire balancing...
Old 08-24-2017, 09:59 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Well, it sounds like the bearing support is ok.

And if it was that, the thumping comes from right under the center console. Not the rear.

You can tell it's coming from the center of the car, you can even feel it in the lid of the console.

Quick Reply: Cardan Shaft?