Sponsored by:

Gas leak under the car at the pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 06:17 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gas leak under the car at the pump

Sunday I filled up the tank with the automatic nozzle lock engaged on the gas pump so that it shuts off when full. As usual, I took it out without topping off, clicked the lid closed, and was about to drive away when I saw a puddle of gas spilling out from the center of the car. It wasn't a crazy pour of gas, but enough of a steady bead of liquid that it made a decent sized puddle under the car.

So far, nothing shows up at home in the garage.

Haven't had a chance to look underneath yet, but this seems like something that would happen if I over-filled the tank (but I didn't). Is there an overflow valve that empties under the car somewhere? Or do I have a bigger fuel/tank/filler issue?

I fully expect it to be the latter...
Old 06-09-2014, 09:53 PM
kens911
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what happenend?
Old 06-09-2014, 10:47 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

When i first got my car i drove it home and when i parked it on an incline towards the left it leaked.
I took it to the local stealer and they stuck a smoke machine in the gas cap and followed the smoke leak.
It was on top of the fuel tank, underneath the rear seats.
There are two filters there. You might want to check those out. I am a 100% DIYer but this fuel thing i didn't want to mess with. $500 later....
Old 06-10-2014, 09:04 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

On top of the tank are two fittings containing the filter and fuel level sender. Further inside the tank are the two fuel pumps. The filter and sender are retained by a big lock nut and sealed with a rubber gasket. The gasket, particularly on the driver's side, ages and contracts.

You have to cut the carpet under the seats following the perforated circle, unbolt a cover plate and then you will see the lock nut and filter/sender assemblies.

The normal symptom is a strong fuel smell following a fillup. The fuel leak may be a more advanced symptom of the same problem.

I've seen a writeup here or on Renntech.org that details the job.
Old 12-03-2014, 02:00 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info, and I will have to decide if I have the constitution to deal with fuel pumps and the like, DIY. In the meantime - going on 6 months now - I simply fill up just shy of truly full. Until I forget once in a while, and leave a puddle at the gas station.

Quick Reply: Gas leak under the car at the pump