Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Cayenne S "Clunk" "Thump". Transfer Case Module Part number Interchange

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 04:43 AM
Omid MemarZadeh
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Cayenne S "Clunk" "Thump". Transfer Case Module Part number Interchange

Anyone know if the transfer case module part numbers are interchangable?

Last edited by Omid MemarZadeh; 03-07-2014 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 06:54 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Technical Service Bulletin 3965 describes your issue.

An updated Transfer Control Unit was released for the remedy.
New part number is 955 618 023 05.

If you change the control unit, its a good idea to change the servo motor as well. Not critical but desireable.
New part number is 955 624 601 01.

The part number you list is a VW part number.
I have listed the Porsche part numbers.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:31 AM
Omid MemarZadeh
4th Gear

I have done some searching on Ebay and the transfer case module unit that the VW Touareg uses looks exactly like the one the Cayenne uses. I am wondering if maybe they work on both vehicles.

The part number I provided was the number I read off of the unit itself. Maybe their part numbers sometimes are interchangable.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:31 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I got a 2008 unit from a wrecker in SC.
Look up www.car-parts.com

I think I remember paying $100
Old 03-02-2014, 04:56 PM
Omid MemarZadeh
4th Gear

Ya theres lots of these units kicking around used on EBay. It would be nice to know if a newer used unit out of a newer Cayenne would fit into a 2004 and work because then most likely the software has been upgraded.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:05 PM
gbratk
Instructor

I have changed Transfer case control unit and transfer case motor with no joy. I also facing with intermittent clunk, when showing down or coming to a stop. I would love to repair that problem, but none has clue what should be problem.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:08 AM
Omid MemarZadeh
4th Gear

Sorry to hear that. Did you manage to buy a brand new transfer case module or did you buy a used one from the same model year?
Old 03-06-2014, 05:40 AM
gbratk
Instructor

I change it with used one from 2006 model.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:45 AM
chamilka
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

gbratk - Any update on this? I have the same issue hence the qn. Ill let you know what my mechanic says. In my case during stop and go I hear a noise (thud) form the back I think it is the transfer case and the performance would be very sluggish during that time.
error code - 2053:Transfer box control module
Chamilka
Old 04-14-2014, 03:01 PM
gbratk
Instructor

Originally Posted by chamilka
gbratk - Any update on this? I have the same issue hence the qn. Ill let you know what my mechanic says. In my case during stop and go I hear a noise (thud) form the back I think it is the transfer case and the performance would be very sluggish during that time.
error code - 2053:Transfer box control module
Chamilka

No update from me...

I really have no clue what is causing that clunk noise. It happens only when I coming to stop, and probably at that time transmission shift from third to second gear. I don't have any error codes...

I was thinking, if could be stretch chain in transfer case? But I don't know how to determinate that.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 PM
B16a2nr
7th Gear

Check your front control arm bushings for wear. I had clunking upon hard braking and upgraded to Turbo S control arms with firmer bushings. The clunking was gone and old bushings were visible worn.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:25 PM
gbratk
Instructor

I already changed all control arms...
Old 04-16-2014, 03:55 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Omid MemarZadeh
I have done some searching on Ebay and the transfer case module unit that the VW Touareg uses looks exactly like the one the Cayenne uses. I am wondering if maybe they work on both vehicles.

The part number I provided was the number I read off of the unit itself. Maybe their part numbers sometimes are interchangable.
Yes - they are the same stepper motor on the VW and Cayenne. They are all completely interchangeable, but the control module is not (can't take a VW control module and use it on a Cayenne). You don't need updated software to run the updated stepper motor, though it doesn't mean your control module isn't bad. Updated stepper motor has beefier internals.

The old part has a -A at the end (have to look at the actual stepper motor). The updated part that the newer models have (I think some 05's and all 06 and up MY) have a -C part. Otherwise, the part looks exactly the same. So, have to look at the actual part number to verify. My touareg had a -C part fail, and replaced it. The new -C motor is now on my 04 CTT since it has the old -A part.

VW part is 0AD-341-601-C It used to be $380 from vwparts2go (what I paid a month ago), but I see it's gone up in price.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:58 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gbratk
No update from me...

I really have no clue what is causing that clunk noise. It happens only when I coming to stop, and probably at that time transmission shift from third to second gear. I don't have any error codes...

I was thinking, if could be stretch chain in transfer case? But I don't know how to determinate that.
Have you checked the sway bar links? If those fail, you'll hear and feel a clunk.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:16 AM
chamilka
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Fix the Transfer case error. It was due to a bad fuel pump which I had replaced few months ago. I think whenever there is a power lost of some sort Cayenne would through these types of errors.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne S "Clunk" "Thump". Transfer Case Module Part number Interchange