Sponsored by:

Porsche Cayenne S "Clunk" "Thump". Transfer Case Module Part number Interchange

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:57 PM
fkrieger
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
Technical Service Bulletin 3965 describes your issue.

An updated Transfer Control Unit was released for the remedy.
New part number is 955 618 023 05.

If you change the control unit, its a good idea to change the servo motor as well. Not critical but desireable.
New part number is 955 624 601 01.

The part number you list is a VW part number.
I have listed the Porsche part numbers.
I have this same issue with my 2011 cayenne s. When I took it to the dealer however they said there were no codes listed (I was looking for something having to do with 4wd, etc)

Any idea why a code wouldn't have thrown? The quote is $5k+ for a new transfer case (just a straight replacement).

I'd like to fix myself if it's a TCM if I can get the correct part number for a 958.1
Old 08-24-2016, 09:00 PM
fkrieger
4th Gear

Originally Posted by chamilka
Fix the Transfer case error. It was due to a bad fuel pump which I had replaced few months ago. I think whenever there is a power lost of some sort Cayenne would through these types of errors.
Did you have an error code for the bad fuel pump? I'm going through the same issue with a 2011 at this point.. However no code thrown.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:24 PM
fkrieger
4th Gear

Default Summary of Cayenne S transfer case issue (958.1)

Just to close my situation (for those who may care) and to document for others in the future who may come across the Cayenne transfer case problem:

Problem:
2011 Cayenne S with 26k miles experienced a bad transfer case.

Symptoms (for me):
1) a "hesitation" first experienced @ 2000 RPM that creates almost a slight pause in acceleration
2) a "rubbing" feeling at low speed when the wheel is turned all the way to one side (parallel parking)
2) gas mileage

The Fix/ Solution:
A replacement of the entire transfer case. There are no individual “parts” that can be found for this fix from Porsche. It's a rip and replace.

Under Warranty?
This service will be done under the factory warranty, however it is not recognized by Porsche as a design issue (similar to the the plastic coolant tubes on early 955 Cayenne models) which will be either replaced by Porsche under a TSB or owners will compensated if they produce evidence they have already replaced it.

Why Does this Exist?
Bad part? Bad engineering? I am guessing that it is equal to the coolant tube problem on the older models (2005/2006?) and that the same decision making process went into choosing this transfer case.

There is a balance that Porsche, as a brand, needs to strike between:
1) delivering a performance vehicle with a light and sporty drive
2) while weighing long term reliability of the car
3) while needing to adhere to CAFE standards
4) while weighing the cost of deferring the the repair, thereby passing a portion of that repair to outside of warranty

What I have read about the transfer case itself (on the internet, so please take with a grain of salt as I can not verify and would need somebody with more knowledge to verify):
The transfer case on the 958 Cayenne (4600 lbs?) is the same as used on the Panamera (4200 lbs?) and is light, but not built to handle the weight of the Cayenne. By using the same part across both vehicles Porsche saves money by sharing parts between models, lowers the weight of the Cayenne to increase its mpg (thereby addressing CAFE standards in 2011 while addressing performance).

Summary:
I think that with the 958 Porsche did a disservice to itself and the brand by installing a transfer case that is ill suited for the long term reliability of the vehicle. Whether it is too light for the vehicle I am not sure- would the weight differential between the vehicles make that big of a difference in strain on that xfer case?

Either way, I am guessing that lowering the weight of the vehicle through this transfer case was a short term fix to increase mpg across the fleet and address the CAFE standard. In doing so Porsche made the decision “if it fails, ehhh.... we'll cross that bridge when we come to it” or essentially kicks the cost down the road to the owner of the car, if out of warranty. Furthermore, by not selling parts to the transfer case Porsche further reduces the cost of the decision through the sale of the transfer case as an OEM package whether they do the install at the dealer or not.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:17 PM
CayenneWahoo
7th Gear

I have had the same problem on my 2013 Cayenne S (under CPO ~ 66,000):

Symptoms: low RPM and hard pull hesitation, lapse in power, "thumping," etc. as described by others. Initially the problem only occurred sporadically but became an every drive occurrence and then, near the end, a cause for significant alarm while operating. Just before the fix was installed, I could not rely on the car to accelerate when needed.

PROBLEM: Bad Transfer Case, most likely due to over-heating due to an initial failed design.

Explanation: With the transfer case out, the car fights itself between all wheel drive, various distributions of power to the wheels, etc. causing the violent, yet not catastrophic, symptoms listed above.

Fix: Replace the Transfer Case with a new unit that has been adapted with ventilation.

Background: The gentlemen at Perfection Plus Auto (the service department of the now-closed Porsche dealership in Little Rock) diagnosed the issue within 45 seconds of driving my Cayenne--without even having to leave the parking lot.

(And, BTW if one lives in Little Rock or Central Arkansas, you will not find more down-to-earth, Porsche-loving enthusiasts/technician/owners than the guys @ PPA — I cannot recommend them enough — all active members of PCA)

They reported to me that, regrettably, they have seen problems on Cayennes and Macans — across all model years (including 2017). Apparently, this is a very, very common issue with the SUV.

Upon reflection, it seems extremely odd—and troubling given the Diesel issues of the last few years—that Porsche has neglected to move forward with mandatory re-call on this part. The technicians I spoke with at two different garages have a constant stream of Cayennes and Macans entering for the fix. The problem is due to a defective part, not user error nor regular wear and tear.

What is further troubling is that there is no way for the service department to detect this problem with their computers, which is normal protocol during servicing. Rather than driving the car to diagnose an issue, the service department relies on error messages from the onboard computer and/or an alarm code that is read by their computer system hooked to the vehicle. In other words, there is no way to identify the problem unless the owner knows about the transfer case issue or has the time to take the car and demand that the service department drive the car with the owner. Fortunately, in my area, I have access to an expert who has a passion for the brand and is a heck of guy — he was able to volunteer his time, explain the issue to me in unambiguous terms, put me on the right track for the repair under warranty. However, although the issue expressed itself intermittently over the past 2 years, none of the actual Porsche dealerships where my car was service diagnosed or even were alerted to the Transfer Case failure.

Due to the volume of Transfer Case failures across multiple model years (I have read of issues as far back as 2008) and the troubling issue of loss of power, Porsche could be looking at a major liability if there is a severe accident or fatality due to this known—yet unaddressed—issue (I am thinking of the Audi break scare of the 80s, which scarred that brand for a decade). I certainly would never wish harm to anyone and certainly not to Porsche—a brand I adore, admire and enjoy—however, I perceive a major oversight in quality control. Given this, I have to wonder — what other issues might express themselves with the car?

Now saying all of THAT….I have no intention of de-acquisitioning my Cayenne. I love the car. I love the engine. I love the sound, feel, look of it (its the closest one can come to falling in love with an inanimate object) and plan to keep it until it falls apart or I am put in the ground (that or I upgrade to a GTS or Turbo S). However, I do hope that Porsche becomes more aggressive in resolving this issue with other customers. For me, it was a 1-day investment covered by the warranty. However, had I waited another 4 months, I would have been out several thousands dollars for the replacement part and labor.

I am attaching my service ticket with associated replacement parts in the hope that it will prove useful for other owners who are experiencing similar concerns.

As I have seen this issue on multiple boards, I am posting in several locations, including:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...terchange.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...er-case-4.html

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...se-oil-change/

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...case-failures/

https://www.6speedonline.com

Old 08-18-2017, 01:35 AM
Larmo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to update the data here, I have a 2003 CTT that had the thumping noise on hard turns characteristic of a locked differential in 4wd on pavement. No codes.

Swapped the stepper motor with an after market from AutohausAZ: http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...rchbutton.y=12

Worked like a charm and cured the problem. Total cost $350.00 with installation. Took 20 mins.

Larmo
Old 08-18-2017, 02:22 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

And for the 958 owners who've wandered into this thread - there is a thread on the very specific problem the 958 transfer cases have - complete with a $15 fix.. take a look at the stickies in the 958 subforum.
Old 06-19-2020, 12:20 PM
Voon Foo Hoa
3rd Gear

Hi, sorry, can u me the link for the $15 fix??
i just cant found it
Old 06-22-2020, 07:57 PM
hawgman
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CayenneWahoo
I have had the same problem on my 2013 Cayenne S (under CPO ~ 66,000):

Symptoms: low RPM and hard pull hesitation, lapse in power, "thumping," etc. as described by others. Initially the problem only occurred sporadically but became an every drive occurrence and then, near the end, a cause for significant alarm while operating. Just before the fix was installed, I could not rely on the car to accelerate when needed.

PROBLEM: Bad Transfer Case, most likely due to over-heating due to an initial failed design.

Explanation: With the transfer case out, the car fights itself between all wheel drive, various distributions of power to the wheels, etc. causing the violent, yet not catastrophic, symptoms listed above.

Fix: Replace the Transfer Case with a new unit that has been adapted with ventilation.

Background: The gentlemen at Perfection Plus Auto (the service department of the now-closed Porsche dealership in Little Rock) diagnosed the issue within 45 seconds of driving my Cayenne--without even having to leave the parking lot.

(And, BTW if one lives in Little Rock or Central Arkansas, you will not find more down-to-earth, Porsche-loving enthusiasts/technician/owners than the guys @ PPA — I cannot recommend them enough — all active members of PCA)

They reported to me that, regrettably, they have seen problems on Cayennes and Macans — across all model years (including 2017). Apparently, this is a very, very common issue with the SUV.

Upon reflection, it seems extremely odd—and troubling given the Diesel issues of the last few years—that Porsche has neglected to move forward with mandatory re-call on this part. The technicians I spoke with at two different garages have a constant stream of Cayennes and Macans entering for the fix. The problem is due to a defective part, not user error nor regular wear and tear.

What is further troubling is that there is no way for the service department to detect this problem with their computers, which is normal protocol during servicing. Rather than driving the car to diagnose an issue, the service department relies on error messages from the onboard computer and/or an alarm code that is read by their computer system hooked to the vehicle. In other words, there is no way to identify the problem unless the owner knows about the transfer case issue or has the time to take the car and demand that the service department drive the car with the owner. Fortunately, in my area, I have access to an expert who has a passion for the brand and is a heck of guy — he was able to volunteer his time, explain the issue to me in unambiguous terms, put me on the right track for the repair under warranty. However, although the issue expressed itself intermittently over the past 2 years, none of the actual Porsche dealerships where my car was service diagnosed or even were alerted to the Transfer Case failure.

Due to the volume of Transfer Case failures across multiple model years (I have read of issues as far back as 2008) and the troubling issue of loss of power, Porsche could be looking at a major liability if there is a severe accident or fatality due to this known—yet unaddressed—issue (I am thinking of the Audi break scare of the 80s, which scarred that brand for a decade). I certainly would never wish harm to anyone and certainly not to Porsche—a brand I adore, admire and enjoy—however, I perceive a major oversight in quality control. Given this, I have to wonder — what other issues might express themselves with the car?

Now saying all of THAT….I have no intention of de-acquisitioning my Cayenne. I love the car. I love the engine. I love the sound, feel, look of it (its the closest one can come to falling in love with an inanimate object) and plan to keep it until it falls apart or I am put in the ground (that or I upgrade to a GTS or Turbo S). However, I do hope that Porsche becomes more aggressive in resolving this issue with other customers. For me, it was a 1-day investment covered by the warranty. However, had I waited another 4 months, I would have been out several thousands dollars for the replacement part and labor.

I am attaching my service ticket with associated replacement parts in the hope that it will prove useful for other owners who are experiencing similar concerns.

As I have seen this issue on multiple boards, I am posting in several locations, including:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...terchange.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...er-case-4.html

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...se-oil-change/

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...case-failures/

https://www.6speedonline.com

The folks at PP are A1 - he has helped me with suggestions on fixing it myself with no charge. A true Porscher.
The following users liked this post:
Sdci N (08-19-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 08:00 PM
hawgman
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Replacing a worn engine torgue arm fixed the clunking on ours. But if you are getting an error code on transfer case - its probably the transfer case
Old 06-23-2020, 12:25 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by fkrieger
I have this same issue with my 2011 cayenne s. When I took it to the dealer however they said there were no codes listed (I was looking for something having to do with 4wd, etc)

Any idea why a code wouldn't have thrown? The quote is $5k+ for a new transfer case (just a straight replacement).

I'd like to fix myself if it's a TCM if I can get the correct part number for a 958.1
I think if you go over to the 958 subforum (which is what your 2011 is) you'll find lots of information on transfer cases. Prepare to spend a few hours reading. And your 2011 transfer case is entirely different from the ones being discussed in this thread.

Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-23-2020, 12:30 AM
deilenberger
Banned

FOLKS - if your Cayenne is newer than 2010, ie - 2011 and newer this is NOT THE THREAD FOR YOU.

Go up one step in the forum, and click on the button for the 958 forum. There are stickies, there are discussions, and links to the DIY section where we tell you how to fix it for cheap (usually.)

I'm having problems figuring out how this many people ended up in the wrong place.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:39 AM
lachieg25
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hawgman
Replacing a worn engine torgue arm fixed the clunking on ours. But if you are getting an error code on transfer case - its probably the transfer case
My 08 GTS throws out a big clunk but only when reversing and it’s very inconsistent. No loss of power or anything just sounds like I’ve reversed into something.

Anyone had a similar issue or have any suggestions on what this may be?
Old 08-19-2020, 04:09 PM
Sdci N
1st Gear

my 2017 Cayenne S have the same symptom, most notable is the clunk when reverse and turning either left or right. The service advisor at Long Beach Circle Porsche did a couple of minute drive in reverse and suggested that probably TC is the problem. With 31k miles, it is under manufacture guarantee.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne S "Clunk" "Thump". Transfer Case Module Part number Interchange