What constitutes a "Tow Package"

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 08:07 PM
ajoyce76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What constitutes a "Tow Package"

Hi everybody,

I'm new to the Cayenne world (I bought a 2004 Turbo about a month and a half ago) and I love it. The only thing I didn't get was the tow package (Too good of a deal to pass up). And now I'd like to add it. My question is what constitutes a complete "Tow Package". Obviously the hitch itself. I also know about the towing module which sits on the passenger side of the rear compartment in front of the CD changer. Then of course is the wiring harness which I assume goes from the module to the hitch for connecting the trailer lights. Is there anything I don't know about. I found a guy on Craigslist that is parting out a 04 Turbo with the tow package so I think the whole thing is available, I just want to make sure I get everything. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:31 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything you said, three parts.

And if you're getting it off a donor car like that, you will score a deal on what is otherwise a $2,000 dealer install after-the-fact.

There is even a very comprehensive step-by-step guide to doing the install DIY on one of these threads. I did the same as you probably 4 years ago. So glad I did. I don't understand why people go with the cheaper Curt hitches when the OEM will do 7,700 lbs.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:35 AM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

BTW, it's a solid weekend project. The wiring harness, etc., involves removing a bunch of interior alcantara trim pieces. I think I had the entire right rear of the car trim opened up, plus the trunk floor all the way to the backseats.

There's also a trick to cutting out the right "square" shape from the plastic bumper cover, since there are three templates to choose from. And don't forget you need a special converter related to the Pollack (?) pin-out connecter for plugging in a trailer. If I recall, some places like U-Haul carry a $10 adapter that works for typical trailer LEDs that is most definitely required.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:27 AM
ajoyce76
Intermediate

Hey Seankrider,

Thanks for the input. I think I found that installation guide but I couldn't open it using my phone. I'm going to try and do it with the computer later. Thanks again :-)
Old 02-24-2014, 07:06 PM
Iridium
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 39 Posts

Even after the install (I did mine with OEM Porsche parts) I still had to have the dealer change some stuff in the computer to swap from World lighting to US lighting. Had no brake lights before that, just turn signals. Took them 30 seconds and they did it for free.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:39 PM
seankrider
Rennlist Member

Ah yes, a local guy (Loren from RennTech) plugged me into his PIWIS and coded something to let the car know I now had the tow equipment.

So... unless you know someone with the tool, find a local indy or dealer to code it.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:12 PM
ajoyce76
Intermediate

Sweet, thanks guys. I actually picked everything up yesterday. Got the complete tow package, the drink holder insert for the center console, a like new interstate battery, and the tool kit (I really just wanted a second screw in eye hook piece). If anybody is in or around the Chicago area he's parting the car on craigslist. Better get it fast :-)

Quick Reply: What constitutes a "Tow Package"