Sponsored by:

06 cs exhaust mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 05:56 AM
canneth
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default done this to my 08 957 Cayenne S

Hi guys, sorry to bring up this old thread and in fact this is my first post here. I have see a lot of success here for 955s but not much for the 957s. So, if anyone happens to be searching and looking to do this mod on their 957, hope they will land on this post...

Mine is a 08 Cayenne S 957 with the "standard muffler", single pipe on both sides of the muffler (unlike the GTS). Having done a bit of research, it turns out that the muffler (at least on my ride) is exactly the same as the ones from a 955, except the pipe coming out from both sides of the muffler are just longer and tilted upward.

I tried using a 2" flex pipe and I just can't get it over the perforated tube and there is no way that i can hammer it in with the tilted pipe in the way. So i went with the 1 7/8 and it went in perfectly. It does feel a little lose inside but not to the point where you can hear any rattling or seeing in coming loose. Like the 955, there is this stupid steel tube inside one end of the muffler and none of the saw blades that i have can get it off. So what i did is slice open a flex pipe like a hot dog, and just slide it over the steel tube. End result, amazing sound when it hits 2000rpm and barely noticeable inside the cabin... Thats it guys i got nothing to add and have fun with your 957s...

PS if you can manage to get a flex pipe that is longer than 18", i will suggest to get one that is 2 or 3 inches longer, that will help when you decided to take the pipes out later down the road...
Old 11-17-2017, 07:21 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by canneth
Hi guys, sorry to bring up this old thread and in fact this is my first post here. I have see a lot of success here for 955s but not much for the 957s. So, if anyone happens to be searching and looking to do this mod on their 957, hope they will land on this post...

Mine is a 08 Cayenne S 957 with the "standard muffler", single pipe on both sides of the muffler (unlike the GTS). Having done a bit of research, it turns out that the muffler (at least on my ride) is exactly the same as the ones from a 955, except the pipe coming out from both sides of the muffler are just longer and tilted upward.

I tried using a 2" flex pipe and I just can't get it over the perforated tube and there is no way that i can hammer it in with the tilted pipe in the way. So i went with the 1 7/8 and it went in perfectly. It does feel a little lose inside but not to the point where you can hear any rattling or seeing in coming loose. Like the 955, there is this stupid steel tube inside one end of the muffler and none of the saw blades that i have can get it off. So what i did is slice open a flex pipe like a hot dog, and just slide it over the steel tube. End result, amazing sound when it hits 2000rpm and barely noticeable inside the cabin... Thats it guys i got nothing to add and have fun with your 957s...

PS if you can manage to get a flex pipe that is longer than 18", i will suggest to get one that is 2 or 3 inches longer, that will help when you decided to take the pipes out later down the road...
Great info. No one has been successful with doing this mod on a 957. Can you post a sound clip?

Thanks,
TomF
Old 11-17-2017, 07:28 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by 02carrera
Hi, so with the 20'' it is way more quiet.
When you drive gently, inside the cabine it is almost not noticiable, like it is stock, when you rev it it make some good but quiet noise around 3000 rpm.
For me it is the sound that Porsche should made, not noisy but enjoyable. If you like a noisy exhaust you will be disapointed, go to 24'' and more and you will have this kind of noise (drived 1 day like this..)
Start at 3.45min : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOkNc3tKCtY
Please give your review when your mod is done.
Do not hesitate if you have questions.
PS : change your tips clamps at the same time.
Regarding your mention of the vague steering. Pull the servotronic fuse and you will be amazed at the improvement. This is a very popular mod and easily reversed if you don't like it. It feels a lot more like a sportscar. Your better half may not enjoy parking with it as much, however!

Cheers,
TomF
Old 12-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Bernard
Pro

I did this on my old 05 Cayenne S and loved the sound. I now own a 14 VW Touareg TDI and wondering if it would work and how it would sound?
Old 12-08-2017, 11:02 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Bernard
I now own a 14 VW Touareg TDI and wondering if it would work and how it would sound?
Like a Unimog
The following users liked this post:
phL (02-25-2021)
Old 12-09-2017, 04:32 PM
Bernard
Pro

Oh that's going to sound nice
Old 12-14-2017, 09:08 AM
P16CTT
1st Gear

Hey guys, I'm on my first Cayenne and would like to do this Mod, would this stuff be ok?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222426955076

I have a 2003 Cayenne Turbo, Cheers
Old 05-05-2018, 01:17 AM
bigbevo
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by v10rick
A bypass tube is not necessary on the GTS.

By removing and plugging the vacuum lines to the actuators at the muffler it will
sound like the clip.

Takes about 10min. and your done.
I want to try this. Thanks! Just need to find these actuators.....
Old 09-13-2018, 10:13 AM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Im in the process of doing this, but as others have mentioned, at least on my 2005 Turbo, the 2" flex pipe is way too loose, so Im looking to get a 2.25" flex pipe. So the turbo muffler pipe diameters have to be bigger than the S, base
18" length seems perfect.

Since its hard to find flex pipe in Stainless Steel, Im thinking im going to go with 2.25" stainless straight pipe, flaired on the outer end as KhmerPepperS did.
Question is, did those of you who used straight pipe have to drop the muffler, that is, loosen or remove the hangers to get it in there, as it would interfear with the rear lower bumper behind the tire, based on me having to bend the flex pipe when I was trying the 2". Or can I push up on the bumper to make some clearance to slide the pipe straight in?

Also noticed, the turbo muffler doesnt pass all the way through (I think someone mentioned the S has a cross over in the muffler), from one muffler outlet to the other, as the straight pipe kits I have seen commercially available in Europe for this mod, that you tap in from one side, all the way to the other, then index so the center inlet to the muffler isnt blocked, would not work on a Turbo muffler.

I got my tips nice and clean if anything so far in removing them to attempt this mod. I used Eagle Chome wheel cleaner, it does wonders on Stainless steel to remove discoloration and bring back the bright metal shine because it has some acid in it (learned this tip on motorcycle forums and other car forums for removing blueing/golding of stainless steel pipes due to heat), then followed with Mothers metal polish, they look new! I forgot the before pic, but I will take one when I get the larger 2.25" pipe and do the other side.
Old 10-09-2018, 11:43 PM
dcapper
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been watching youtube videos and some are saying the flex pipe is breaking apart between 6 months and a year. Has anyone experienced this? And if so, could you put 2" galvanized pipe in there instead. Would you have to drop the muffler to get the straight pipe in?
Old 11-12-2018, 11:31 PM
87ninefiveone
5th Gear

Am I missing something? I bought 2 2" flex tubes from Advance Auto. They go in maybe 6 inches before they hit the perforated tube. Does not line up to go over or into it. I tapered the ends to try to maneuver it but just hits it. Should I try 1 7/8 tube? The inner tube seems to me about 1/2 inch lower.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:42 PM
dcapper
Instructor

You have to cut that piece out. I went with 2" solid pipe. The flex pipe apparently wears out.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:48 PM
87ninefiveone
5th Gear

I did cut they little drip tube out. Im talking about the perforated inner tube in the pic. Seems even if I were to use a solid pipe it wouldn't line up with that inner tube.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:13 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by 87ninefiveone
I did cut they little drip tube out. Im talking about the perforated inner tube in the pic. Seems even if I were to use a solid pipe it wouldn't line up with that inner tube.
see
https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=105
Old 11-13-2018, 12:32 PM
dcapper
Instructor

That is odd. Mine slid in easy. I even think I could have gone with a larger pipe.

Quick Reply: 06 cs exhaust mod