Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the awful sound improve when you upgrade the head unit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 01:41 PM
DavieGravy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does the awful sound improve when you upgrade the head unit?

I have the "premium " Bozo sound system that is by far the worst I've heard in any vehicle. The stereo imaging is so unbelievably terrible the audio sounds like it's coming from the center of the car, but I've verified all speakers are working by using the balance and fader controls. Don't get me started on the flat frequency response, and it's not in a good way like high quality studio monitors. It's because the system is incapable of accurately replicating sounds from the original recordings.

Anyway, I'm thinking about using the nav-tv most hur 955 to update the stereo, but wanted to get some feedback as to how much the sound improves while still using the original speakers. Will it still sound terrible if I do this?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2014, 02:09 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

I haven't upgraded the sound system in my Cayenne yet. I'm really considering it. I did replace the Bose system in my 911 with a new head unit, amps and speakers. The difference was dramatic. I can't speak from personal experience on the Cayenne, but I can tell you this: most people consider the speakers to be the weakest link in the system. If you really want improved sound quality, then you should consider speaker replacement. If you want updated features (Sirius XM, Bluetooth, updated navigation, etc.), then replace the head unit.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:37 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

+1. I strongly agree. Apparently, the Germans (Porsche, BMW, and MB) got suckered into adopting the MOST fiber optic bus for the audio system, and compounded the error by falling for Bose's "audiophile" snake oil. You need a $650 FO adapter (google "MOST HUR") to interface with an aftermarket head, and then you're still stuck with the terrible sounding Bose crap. Further, Bose speakers have odd impedance and may fry an incompatible amp/head unit if you try to bypass the Bose amp. Or you can rip it all out and start from scratch...a very costly upgrade.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:22 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

tun on or off surround
Old 01-04-2014, 07:42 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
If you really want improved sound quality, then you should consider speaker replacement.
I haven't worked with a Cayenne, but "bad" speakers can sound good when driven by a good source (head and amp(s)). Conversely, excellent speakers can sound horrible if they are not being driven properly.

Additionally, if you don't regularly have anyone listening to music in the back then you can waste a lot of money on "good" speakers back there what will provide very little improvement over much cheaper options (including staying with stock speakers).
Old 01-04-2014, 07:54 PM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

No problems with the Bose stereo imaging here.

Could be you have a faulty sound processor.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:20 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While I don't consider the Bose system to be audiophile grade.. The system in my pig sounds pretty decent. I'm not a fan of what happens with the surround sound on. I also have to turn down treble and boost bass. The system definitely sounds better than those in my previous vehicles.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:32 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure surround CDS is OFF or it sounds really flat. Certain genres really sound bad with it on.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I realize there are much better systems. I added a JL Audio stealthbox subwoofer and alpine sub amp to my otherwise stock Bose system. Several people, including 2 "audiofiles" mentioned the quality of the system sound.

Last edited by CarreraCup03; 01-05-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:29 AM
digitaljok
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DavieGravy
I have the "premium " Bozo sound system that is by far the worst I've heard in any vehicle. The stereo imaging is so unbelievably terrible the audio sounds like it's coming from the center of the car, but I've verified all speakers are working by using the balance and fader controls.
Make sure the 3D Surround setting is turned off. I have the Bose system in my '09 (PCM 3.0) which sounds like utter crap in a similar manner that you describe, no matter what the source, with the surround sound processing turned on. With no fake 3D over-processing, plus a 10" JL sealed sub in the back, the system actually sounds decent.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:52 PM
seafeye
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
+1. I strongly agree. Apparently, the Germans (Porsche, BMW, and MB) got suckered into adopting the MOST fiber optic bus for the audio system, and compounded the error by falling for Bose's "audiophile" snake oil. You need a $650 FO adapter (google "MOST HUR") to interface with an aftermarket head, and then you're still stuck with the terrible sounding Bose crap. Further, Bose speakers have odd impedance and may fry an incompatible amp/head unit if you try to bypass the Bose amp. Or you can rip it all out and start from scratch...a very costly upgrade.
I didn't really give the Bose too much attention till I started to read this thread. Now I can see how people get headaches with these speakers. I like the Chinese head units that match the shape of the opening. Might see if I can find a 8" screen and do a complete rip out of the Bose junk. My sub woofer in the trunk looks like its in good shape but even when the bass is on 9 it is barely noticeable. The amp is probably fried. If it isn't one thing...
Old 01-06-2014, 02:54 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Lewis !
Old 01-06-2014, 03:14 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

This is a pretty old and well talked about subject

Given that the system may have been, in part, designed by a member of this board, who will tell you that Becker and PAG compromised a good design for their own reasons, its hardly surprising we get a less than perfect result.

I have to say however that I have been in MANY Cayenne since April of 03 and the sound quality does vary from car to car, I have been lucky with my second on which sounds much better than my first. I think mold sets into the speaker cones and the amps drift off spec with older models, I personally saw what I took to be mold damage on the first car when I had it apart from time to time

Not that I am saying that's age is the only reason, some were variable before age could even set in.

beta owners had lots of loaners.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,228 Likes on 773 Posts

I agree with Mike's comments. The Bose system in my Cayenne actually sounds pretty good. I think it could be improved, but for everyday use it's not bad at all. The Bose system in my C4S was another matter...
Old 01-06-2014, 04:16 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Since adding a Dension unit fueled by an iPod Classic, I have zero complaints about the sound quality in my Cayenne.

Quick Reply: Does the awful sound improve when you upgrade the head unit?