Sponsored by:

Ugh! In the shop after only 250 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 09:28 AM
mike826
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ugh! In the shop after only 250 miles

I'm wondering if anyone on here has had a similar experience or heard of anything like this.

I picked up my 2014 Cayenne on the 19th after waiting 4 months for it, and was just getting used to it and starting to really enjoy it (my first Porsche!) when on the 23rd it started having issues. Specifically, I was on the highway and suddenly when I pressed the gas it just revved as it was in neutral with nothing else happening. After a minute of this (and just as I was starting to worry I'd be broken down in the middle lane in rush hour traffic), it kicked into 3rd gear but wouldn't change out of that, up or down. I tried the manual mode, turning the car off and on, etc. but this happened 3 times in a row so I after calling Roadside Assistance I limped back to the dealer.

Things are obviously delayed due to the holidays, but they are still just telling me that this is extremely rare and that they have contacted Porsche" for advice and are waiting to hear back from them. The service guy thinks it's something that to me sounded like he said "adenoid" (I'm not an engine guy), but that they also may have to replace the gear box (which they'd have to get from Germany). He seems adamant though that my Cayenne isn't a lemon.

As you'd expect, I am beyond frustrated and starting to question my Porsche choice. Before this I've had 4 Lexus vehicles over 12 years and not once did I ever have to take them in for anything other than routine maintenance. Yet here I am after only 4 days having a Porsche and it's sitting in the shop with an as yet undiagnosed issue.

Anyone ever hear of anything similar to what's happened to me?

(The one silver lining - my loaner is a Panamera 4...)

Last edited by mike826; 12-27-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: add info
Old 12-27-2013, 09:50 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

He probably said solenoid, not adenoid.

I sure feel for you, but also you can't take one issue and say therefore you have a lemon. A lemon, by definition, is a car which breaks down time and time again spending a good deal of its time in the shop and seems to resist all dealer attempts to get it going reliably.

How're you enjoying the Pan over the Cayenne?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:59 AM
mike826
Cruisin'

Yeah, I knew adenoid was wrong; solenoid sounds right.

My referring to it as a possible lemon is really just my frustration showing through. Under Georgia law I believe they get 3 unsuccessful tries to repair a problem before it's considered a lemon.

Driving the Pan is a pleasure, but the bigger width and length of it over the Cayenne surprised me. It's not a practical car for my situation right now, but I'll admit there's a part of me that's glad I'm getting the opportunity to keep it for a few days. I'm just worried that when I get the Cayenne back it's going to feel sluggish in comparison!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:00 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
A lemon, by definition,
Technically the definition of a lemon varies from state to state, but I agree that while it sucks he had such a big problem it is (so far) not indicative of anything.

As to the original question, overall the 958s are reliable vehicles with no major common issues. Unfortunately the manufacturing process is still not perfect and it sounds like you just got unlucky. Don't stress over it (though I'd guess they'll have it for a month at least from the sounds of it) and enjoy the Pan in the meantime (not everyone is so lucky with the loaners they get).
Old 12-27-2013, 10:09 AM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by mike826
Yeah, I knew adenoid was wrong; solenoid sounds right.

My referring to it as a possible lemon is really just my frustration showing through. Under Georgia law I believe they get 3 unsuccessful tries to repair a problem before it's considered a lemon.

Driving the Pan is a pleasure, but the bigger width and length of it over the Cayenne surprised me. It's not a practical car for my situation right now, but I'll admit there's a part of me that's glad I'm getting the opportunity to keep it for a few days. I'm just worried that when I get the Cayenne back it's going to feel sluggish in comparison!
I wonder if that's 3 tries to fix a particular problem or 3 tries to get the car fixed even if 3 different problems.

Yeah, a TT Pan can be fast but a TT Cayenne is too. I spoke with a guy who did a test drive in a TT Pan and he said when he opened it up on the freeway, it was like being hit by the hammer of Thor.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:25 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by dryadsdad
I wonder if that's 3 tries to fix a particular problem or 3 tries to get the car fixed even if 3 different problems.
In Virginia (at least back in the 90s) I had a car replaced by the Lemon Law for 3 related but different issues.

In that case there was a problem that required replacing the bottom half of the engine. Then 500 miles later it needed the top half replaced. Another 500 miles later and my Dad took it to a different dealer where they found half the electricals weren't connected and all the gaskets were installed incorrectly (torn, folded, etc..). We suspect the original problem was real, but the second and third trips were dealer induced. All in the first 1500 miles of that car ("drive it for 500 miles" was a favorite saying of the original dealer). Upside was that Chrysler was so eager to make my Dad happy after he said "Lemon Law" that not only did I get a new car, I went from a 4cyl to a V6 at no cost to us (which turned out to not be so good for my driving record ).
Old 12-27-2013, 10:28 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a new Cayenne MT with no initial quality issues so far (1200 m). I agree that the OP just ran afoul of a manufacturing glitch.

Reminds me of the time years ago while I was driving my 2-day old VW and the shift lever literally comes off in my hand! (Fortunately it was in a parking lot). The dealer initially acted like it was my fault and said that I would have to pay to have it towed in. After I stopped yelling into the phone, they did come to get the car and subsequently repaired it with no recurring issues.

I did not get a Panamera loaner though (well they didn't exist, but there was no loaner even offered).
Old 12-27-2013, 02:12 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

These things happen... Our GTS has been perfect for its first 7 months. OTOH, I saw a very new looking Lexus RX being loaded onto a flatbed last week (no accident damage). Lexus are great, but no car is immune from the potential for a random issue.

I think you have an excellent loner and you are being properly looked after. Look on the bright side, you get the chance to give a Panamera an extensive test drive!
Old 12-27-2013, 02:18 PM
pcst
Racer

Sorry to hear... yes, no such brand/model are immune from the random parts failures, whether it's brand new or used.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:18 PM
mike826
Cruisin'

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It helps to get some perspective, which is one of the reasons why I posted on here to start with. Once I get past this bump in the road I'm sure I'll love my Cayenne.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:31 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike,
Sorry you had this issue with you new Cayenne.

From what I have seen on this forum, there are a lot of great, no issues on their new Peppers.

In my case, I have 112,000 km on our 2012 since new.

All the service visits we have had a Porsche loaner. Cayenne most time, but a Panamera once, and a Boxster twice.

Hope they fix yours quickly and well!
You should get to enjoy many years of trouble free driving!
Old 12-27-2013, 11:31 PM
mike826
Cruisin'

Well much to my surprise, and just as I had resigned myself to a long delay in getting my Cayenne back, the dealer called me this evening to let me know it's fixed! Apparently Porsche surprised them and overnighted the needed part (the solenoid I believe) and they've already replaced it, tested it and it's ready to go.

Thanks all for the feedback. Hopefully next time I post on here it won't be about an issue like this.
Old 12-28-2013, 02:46 AM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts

Hopefully there fix is what is needed. Surprised that they wouldn't stock a few different transmissions in the U.S. The problem you described is the transmission going into safemode by the TCU (Transmssion Control Unit) in order not to damage the transmission. They usually give you one intermediate gear to get to help, takes a little bit of Torque Converter slipping off the line and not as much top end but it can get you a long ways if you take your time. This function is not unique to Porsches but common to many of the newer electronically controlled transmissions.
Old 12-28-2013, 01:05 PM
AnchorRanch
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike826
Yet here I am after only 4 days having a Porsche and it's sitting in the shop with an as yet undiagnosed issue.

Anyone ever hear of anything similar to what's happened to me?

(The one silver lining - my loaner is a Panamera 4...)
I had very similar experience. In term of " how much time " I drove my CS before I had to leave it in the dealer's shop - zero day:

after I Waited about 4months for the vechile delivery and finally singed all paper works on Nov.30 2012. I sat in the driver seat with excitement and tried to open the Panaroma sunroof before driving the CS for home, it did not open . After a few minutes of trying, the salesman finally told me to leave the CS in the shop and gave me a loaner. Thus, I drove the CS ZERO mile and ZERO day under my name before it went to repair.

It took more than 4 weeks for the motor module was delivered from Germany while I drove two loaners: V6 for 1900 miles and Panamera 4 S for 1200 miles. I finally got my "New" CS on Jan 4 2013.

So far, my CS performs very well with about 10000 miles.

Good luck!
Old 12-28-2013, 02:52 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

If your Pano wasn't stuck open, why didn't you just tell them to call you when the part came in and take yours home instead of a loaner? It's not like it's a critical part that keeps the vehicle from functioning properly/safely. I saw similar stories for those that got caught in the dash clock issues and had to wait forever for a replacement. I just don't understand

Quick Reply: Ugh! In the shop after only 250 miles