Sponsored by:

PCCB Life on Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 03:35 PM
NMM991
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCCB Life on Cayenne

I am sure that there are many threads on this topic but couldn't find any specific to wear. I have 20K miles on a 2012 CTT equipped with PCCBs and yesterday my service tech indicated wear on the front brakes (he rated them 7 out of 8 on his chart) which surprised me - I cannot see any wear visually like you do on iron rotors. Didn't have the opportunity to speak directly with the tech and the service person was clueless.

I've had these are two 911s and have always been told to expect 200K minimum for spirited but not track level driving - my GT3 has 65,000 street miles and no wear that I can detect (don't know about the pads). Does anyone know what to expect from these ceramics on a Cayenne, has anyone experienced wear on PCCBs? I love the brakes and don't mind paying for them "once," but I would not like to pay for replacements.

My service person also told me that "Porsche" on replaces rotors and pads, never just pads. But throughout these forums I see reference to people replacing just the pads on PCCBs - is replacing both Porsche protocol or just my dealer?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:10 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by NMM991
...I have 20K miles on a 2012 CTT equipped with PCCBs and yesterday my service tech indicated wear on the front brakes (he rated them 7 out of 8 on his chart) which surprised me - I cannot see any wear visually like you do on iron rotors. Didn't have the opportunity to speak directly with the tech and the service person was clueless....

....My service person also told me that "Porsche" on replaces rotors and pads, never just pads. But throughout these forums I see reference to people replacing just the pads on PCCBs - is replacing both Porsche protocol or just my dealer?
By wear at 20,000 miles you must mean pads, and not rotors I hope? Your tech is definitely incorrect about having to replace both rotors and pads. Pads can be replaced without the ceramic rotors. And the typical recommendation on the pad replacement is OEM. The other tribal rule is to not run the pad down all the way and run the risk of ruining the (expensive) ceramic rotor; say swap them out with 30%-40% life left....

I have around 100k miles on 3 PCCB (street) cars and have only had to replace front pads on one car.

As far as Cayenne and PCCB...I only know of one guy who ordered his CGTS with PCCB but then had to swap to iron rotors right away since he was a weekend (tow) warrior and PCCB was not recommended for 6K'sh lb of towing....

Last edited by Igooz; 12-25-2013 at 12:43 AM.
Old 12-25-2013, 10:29 AM
NMM991
Racer

I am sure you are correct - I went out this morning and inspected the rotors, there is not even the hint of a ridge line on the rotor. The pads wipe past the OD and the inner wear mark is just that - shiny surface versus the untouched ceramic, very smooth - no lines. So you are correct, it's the pads only and I will replace these early per your recommendation. My 2010 GT3 went 65K miles with no apparent wear as I recall and I just placed an order for a new GT3 with PCCBs - love these brakes even though I realize part of the appeal is psychological.

My dealer is owned by Penske and they are fairly rigid in their approach - especially the customer service people, and there is a lot of turnover within that group. However, their service techs are outstanding with 20 plus years of service, they've worked on my cars for all those years and always get it straight from them. In this case, I wasn't able to able to speak with them.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NMM991
….My dealer is owned by Penske and they are fairly rigid in their approach - especially the customer service people, and there is a lot of turnover within that group. However, their service techs are outstanding with 20 plus years of service, they've worked on my cars for all those years and always get it straight from them. In this case, I wasn't able to able to speak with them...
There is no substitute for a great service tech! They make all the difference… Sounds like you've got it figure out.
And I am a big PCCB fan, albeit they are too expensive IMHO…best of luck.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:56 PM
NMM991
Racer

Originally Posted by Igooz
There is no substitute for a great service tech! They make all the difference… Sounds like you've got it figure out.
And I am a big PCCB fan, albeit they are too expensive IMHO…best of luck.
I was able to confirm it today - I was down at my dealer looking at their first GT3 and was able to speak with one of their long time service techs about my CTT. He told me that he has never seen ceramic rotors that needed to be replaced on either 911s or Cayennes. However, they will replace pads only on the PCCBs even they don't replace pads only on standard brakes, probably not worth the possible issues associated with re-machining cast iron rotors. He could not tell me how long to expect the PCCB rotors to last if I kept the car for >100,000 miles but he has seen cars with that type of mileage.

The GT3 was amazing, very low and muscular as compared to the standard 991 - very striking in the flesh. Also sounded incredible! I has been offered the car as the purchaser has decided not to take it, but as I am #1 for their next allocation I decided to wait - car was not optioned the way I will order mine, and for the money I can wait.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Good news!!!
Old 10-13-2014, 09:08 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
By wear at 20,000 miles you must mean pads, and not rotors I hope? Your tech is definitely incorrect about having to replace both rotors and pads. Pads can be replaced without the ceramic rotors. And the typical recommendation on the pad replacement is OEM. The other tribal rule is to not run the pad down all the way and run the risk of ruining the (expensive) ceramic rotor; say swap them out with 30%-40% life left....

I have around 100k miles on 3 PCCB (street) cars and have only had to replace front pads on one car.

As far as Cayenne and PCCB...I only know of one guy who ordered his CGTS with PCCB but then had to swap to iron rotors right away since he was a weekend (tow) warrior and PCCB was not recommended for 6K'sh lb of towing....
Where did you hear that PCCB's are not recommended for towing?
Old 10-13-2014, 10:00 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Where did you hear that PCCB's are not recommended for towing?
+1

They are for heavy stopping. Just what towing induces.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:35 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

"they will replace pads only on the PCCBs even they don't replace pads only on standard brakes"

This seems odd to me me. My philosophy has always been to change pads early and often on conventional brakes, to keep heat away from the hydraulics for long caliper life, and the brake fluid in the calipers operates at lower temperature. A thicker pad provides more thermal insulation between the pad/rotor interface and the caliper poisons, making for cooler brake caliper fluid and piston seal temperature. That makes for longer brake caliper life. I only replace rotors if there is too much wear or some sort of warping problem. I never machine rotors as it removes to much metal. The new pads and rotors quickly machine each other in service and there is some smoothing of worn rotors that occurs with this approach.

That's my approach. In practice it is cheaper and provides greater caliper life, and I'm sticking with it.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:20 AM
loxxrider
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd bet that tech put 7/8 just because they aren't brand new.
Old 10-15-2014, 03:20 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the consensus about whether the break pad warning sensor gives adequate notice to replace? I have 34k on my pads and no sign of a sensor light yet.

Quick Reply: PCCB Life on Cayenne