Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Class Action Settlement for coolant pipes is official

Old 12-18-2013, 08:52 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by OakBeach
You guys are correct. I really only concentrated on the part that I fell under then assumed that they all went that way.

My CS was used an not purchased with a CPO from a Porsche dealer, so I fall under page 5, B2 or B3. I can get $375 for the repair if done at a Porsche dealership.

Does anyone have a cost estimate for this work at Porsche dealership?
Mine was $805 plus tax in PA by the dealer in 09 with 87K on it from new. My dealer is good on price, in NY and LA you can double that
Old 12-20-2013, 10:20 AM
koolkat1973
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 06 CTTS was just confirmed by the dealership that the plastic coolant pipes have already been replaced. One less thing for me to worry about.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:16 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I "sold" the company cayenne s to my wife when I got a turbo. Should I file in my name (still in my name at the dealer) or file in hers?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:12 PM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
It's also not in option (1) for a non-CPO vehicle. The language is quite clear. IF you had the repair done before 12/12/2013 by a dealer OR independent you qualify for reimbursement. IF you haven't had the repair done before 12/12/2013 you can apply for reimbursement for having the repairs done at a dealer. Seems a simple idea - they're trying to drive the future repairs to the dealerships.
So, there's a chance to get a reimbursement after performing the replacement not by a dealership?

It sounds like I should sit and wait for the settlement papers or be proactive and get'em thru specific source...
Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

I got a few envelopes from the Class action settlement.. can anyone guess how many?lol!!!
Old 01-06-2014, 09:07 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

2 for everyone one ?

Hi Alex !!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by OakBeach
You guys are correct. I really only concentrated on the part that I fell under then assumed that they all went that way.

My CS was used an not purchased with a CPO from a Porsche dealer, so I fall under page 5, B2 or B3. I can get $375 for the repair if done at a Porsche dealership.

Does anyone have a cost estimate for this work at Porsche dealership?
Save yourself a lot of money and throw the settlement papers in the trash. The work done at a dealership will likely be WAY more than $375 more than if done at an independent shop and you will avoid the attempted shake down by the dealership for other work. Porsche's lawyers probably calculated this whole charade as cost neutral to the company.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:10 PM
alex911s
Man of Many Porsches
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
2 for everyone one ?

Hi Alex !!
Hey mike! Have to ask wifey she put them away, shaking her head..ha
Might be back soon, buddy selling an 08CTT to me ..
Old 01-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Bigfoot
1st Gear

Thumbs down Lawyers get $4.5 million and I get to pay . . .

According to the settlement website, the lawyers will get $4.5 million.

I get the opportunity to pay $2,200 at my dealership in Minnesota and the possibility of getting $1,500 refunded sometime after the March 2014 hearing.

My 2006 Turbo S has 59,950 miles on the odometer as I type this today. I purchased it CPO from the local dealership after somebody leased it for 3 years. My dealership indicates the last time they replaced a customer's tubes it was about $2,200. I have the plastic pipes and 49 miles left before my possible reimbursement drops from $1,500 to $1,200 for a preventative replacement at the dealership.

Since I am not even sure we will get the "refunds" after the March hearing, I will certainly blow past the 60,000 mile cutoff this week and reduce my possible reimbursement. As it stands, if the hearing goes in "our favor", the lawyers will get the $4.5 million and I will get the opportunity to replace the pipes at my dealership for $1,000 (I pay $2,200 up front and get $1,200 refunded later).

The "fairness hearing" must just apply to the lawyers.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:09 PM
Jochy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
According to the settlement website, the lawyers will get $4.5 million. I get the opportunity to pay $2,200 at my dealership in Minnesota and the possibility of getting $1,500 refunded sometime after the March 2014 hearing. My 2006 Turbo S has 59,950 miles on the odometer as I type this today. I purchased it CPO from the local dealership after somebody leased it for 3 years. My dealership indicates the last time they replaced a customer's tubes it was about $2,200. I have the plastic pipes and 49 miles left before my possible reimbursement drops from $1,500 to $1,200 for a preventative replacement at the dealership. Since I am not even sure we will get the "refunds" after the March hearing, I will certainly blow past the 60,000 mile cutoff this week and reduce my possible reimbursement. As it stands, if the hearing goes in "our favor", the lawyers will get the $4.5 million and I will get the opportunity to replace the pipes at my dealership for $1,000 (I pay $2,200 up front and get $1,200 refunded later). The "fairness hearing" must just apply to the lawyers.
That's sad Bigfoot.
Considering buying the replacement parts for your vehicle is going to be close to $750 parts and if you do the labor yourself probably over $800 in some other materials, tools, beers, etc.
if you enjoy working out maintenance maybe this is an good excuse to get busy with your tools.

Nevertheless this replacement of parts is not optional due to the fact is proven it will put the driver and passengers in risk, depending where they are driving..maybe in High risk.

I personally think Porsche still owe a lot to every Cayenne owner and moreover to other Porsche models owners experiencing same risks with those plastics pipes.

They should learn from Japanese (Toyota-Lexus) in regards recalls responsibilities.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:06 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Any updates regarding when settlement funds will be disbursed? Anyone receive a check yet? Went to the class action web site, and no updates there. Did read a court document that essentially approved the settlement, but that document is about a year old.
Old 03-28-2015, 11:29 PM
Enilder
Instructor

Originally Posted by philg3
Any updates regarding when settlement funds will be disbursed? Anyone receive a check yet? Went to the class action web site, and no updates there. Did read a court document that essentially approved the settlement, but that document is about a year old.
I want to know as well...Not really familiar with the process so I wonder if I can expect something before end of the year...
Old 03-29-2015, 08:55 AM
magicfan
Advanced

It is not in Canada but I got a voucher for a few hundred dollars from Porsche towards any service or parts and labour at any Porsche dealership in Canada.
I had my pipes checked at Volkswagen and they told me it is aluminium so it looks like someone has had them replaced but will still get it checked at the dealership next week. The dealership is about 5 hours drive and hence a 10 hour drive up and down.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:59 PM
freakdog
Intermediate

Default Any updates

It says this on the website:

Settlement Status Update: On April 18, 2014, a single objector filed a Notice of Appeal appealing the District Court's order granting final approval of the Settlement Agreement and overruling the objections. As provided in Question 14 of the Class Notice, it is uncertain when the appeal will be resolved. Resolving appeals takes time, perhaps more than a year. Please be patient and consult this website for further status updates including the status of settlement benefits.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:43 PM
rbaron
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freakdog
It says this on the website:
I've been following the appeal process out of professional interest (I'm a lawyer) and personal interest (I've got some money coming when the appeal is resolved) and as of yesterday I believe the appeal had been fully briefed and submitted and now the wait is for the Court of Appeals to issue a decision. I predict that will take months but less than a year.

However, I should add I am often wrong.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Class Action Settlement for coolant pipes is official