Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rough idling – I tried everything – Please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 02:38 PM
Nacho82
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this thread is pretty old, but I haven't been back on the site for a good while. I was recently doing research for brake pad/rotor options by searching on here and see I never did much to update the fix for me. I figure I should add it just in case someone does a search in the future. Maybe it could help them out.

I bit the bullet and replaced the battery based on the crazy electrical issues/errors that I had been having. I had high hope that it would be the fix, but sadly it wasn't. Either way, I have a year old battery now. I never did break down and get a scan tool. I know I should, but I figured a diagnostics at a shop could be cheaper in the short run. This time it worked in my favor, but that probably won't always be the case.

With that we will get into the meat of the story. The garage ended up with a couple hours in and were having reports of a lack of signal from the crankshaft position sensor. They couldn't be certain that was the problem, but I went with their suggestion to replace based on the diagnostic tests. Since they didn't want much to do the job, I just had them do it. Sure enough, the crankshaft position sensor was the cause of all my troubles. Ever since the replacement, the rig has been running great. Well, besides the carrier bearing on the drive shaft going out, but I figured it was only time based on the form info.

Hopefully this can help someone down the road.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:09 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How many hours did the camshaft job cost
Old 04-24-2015, 01:20 PM
Nacho82
Track Day

I had the crankshaft position sensor replaced. I didn't have any cam issues. Is that what you were asking about? Sorry if you were responding to somebody else. If asking me, the garage charged me $187 for the labor and $225 for the crank sensor part itself.

To be honest, I ended up having them do some other work while they had it there. One other main thing they did was change out the water pump, which was pretty noise before the change. I only realized how bad the noise was after they changed it out.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:09 AM
Fabianrou
Advanced

Not sure if this helps but I had rough idle on my 04 when I disconnected the batteries and computer under the passenger seat. The throttle body gets confused and needs to have an adaptation done. Would do same type of rough idle you describe including shutting off at times. Did you ever resolve it?
Old 08-17-2015, 02:38 PM
Hotruck
Intermediate

I just bought and 06' S. Same issues above. I'm screwed, certified mechanic says coils and plugs need to be replaced and recommends the wiring harness be replaced also. He wants $3500. I'm bummed, no warranty and loan payments. Someone save me.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:26 AM
957austin
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotruck
I just bought and 06' S. Same issues above. I'm screwed, certified mechanic says coils and plugs need to be replaced and recommends the wiring harness be replaced also. He wants $3500. I'm bummed, no warranty and loan payments. Someone save me.
$3500 is completely unnecessary.
The plugs and coils kit from ECS is $368 http://www.ecstuning.com/Porsche-200...ion/ES2765973/

Changing the plugs and coils is really simple. Getting the plastic covers off the engine is the hardest part of doing it.

With regard to the wiring harness, he probably wants to change that because the connectors that plug into the coils are broken. If it's just the locking clip mechanism, don't worry about it. Put a dab of RTV on the clip portion once you have completed the plug and coil maintenance if you're worried about the connector coming off while driving. If any of the connectors are completely smashed, replace them individually for $45 a piece http://suncoastparts.com/product/955V8PLUG.html

Total price is likely to be under $400 and 2-3 hours of your time giving you plenty of time to work. Because I don't leave the beauty covers on my car, I can probably change all 8 coils and plugs in about 10 minutes.

Also, and I mean no offense, if you know absolutely nothing about cars and cannot do any work yourself, this is a very poor choice for a car to own. Things will break on it. and unless you can repair at least some of the things yourself, and find a good mechanic who won't rip you off, you will easily pay more in repairs in a few years than you paid for the entire car.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:49 AM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hotruck
Sounds like his vacation is on you this year!

I`d get a second opinion for sure, he may well be doing more than is required as the price sounds awfully inflated
Old 02-10-2017, 09:05 PM
Scott Frappier
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 957austin
$3500 is completely unnecessary.
The plugs and coils kit from ECS is $368 http://www.ecstuning.com/Porsche-200...ion/ES2765973/

Changing the plugs and coils is really simple. Getting the plastic covers off the engine is the hardest part of doing it.

With regard to the wiring harness, he probably wants to change that because the connectors that plug into the coils are broken. If it's just the locking clip mechanism, don't worry about it. Put a dab of RTV on the clip portion once you have completed the plug and coil maintenance if you're worried about the connector coming off while driving. If any of the connectors are completely smashed, replace them individually for $45 a piece http://suncoastparts.com/product/955V8PLUG.html

Total price is likely to be under $400 and 2-3 hours of your time giving you plenty of time to work. Because I don't leave the beauty covers on my car, I can probably change all 8 coils and plugs in about 10 minutes.

Also, and I mean no offense, if you know absolutely nothing about cars and cannot do any work yourself, this is a very poor choice for a car to own. Things will break on it. and unless you can repair at least some of the things yourself, and find a good mechanic who won't rip you off, you will easily pay more in repairs in a few years than you paid for the entire car.
Not trying to revive and old thread - but if you want to save some money on the clip:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZVM01W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=viglink20410-20 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZVM01W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=viglink20410-20

Dorman 645-204 Ignition Coil Connector - I've read that it fits and I ordered one recently.

Last edited by Scott Frappier; 02-10-2017 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Hyperlink
Old 02-15-2017, 12:39 AM
Scott Frappier
2nd Gear

Big fail on the Dorman 645-204 - it does not fit the coil. With a bit of changes it would probably work, but I wanted to give a heads-up just in case. Currently, Suncoasts $45 is the best bet for you.

I think I'll make a 3d printed version and post it on this site at some point - $45 is still insane for $0.20 of plastic.

Quick Reply: Rough idling – I tried everything – Please help