Sponsored by:

Park Assist Control Module Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 03:33 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Park Assist Control Module Replacement

I've been without Park Assist since my PA control module died in a dazzling display of blinking red and green lights a few months ago. I did all of the usual diagnostics and with an assist from the Durametric, determined there was actually no communication with the control unit, meaning it had, in fact, died.

I fortunately was able to locate a donor PA control module out of a wrecked '06 CTTS, and figured since it was the same year and model as mine, that it would already be coded correctly (saving a trip to the dealer for coding). After letting the used module sit in the garage for a few months, I decided to go for it and swap them out.

The module is located behind the driver side trim panel in the rear compartment. That was the easy part - determining where it was physically located. The involved part is what must be removed in order to remove the driver side trim panel. We're talking basically gutting all of the trim in the rear compartment, including removal of the rear seat seatbacks. Nothing extraordianarily difficult, just a lot of tedious, methodical work to be done in a prescribed sequence.

I also used this de-trimming of the rear compartment to take care of a couple of other projects. I finally installed my Dension BT GW that's been sitting around for awhile. And when the rest of the parts come in, I will be doing the rear hatch struts since mine desparately need replacement. The necessary trim is already removed, so that will be pretty straightforward.

But back to the PA control module. Here's how your rear compartment looks sans trim:

If you've ever wondered what the 4-zone AC equipment looks like, it's located on the driver's side behind the side time panel:

The actual PA module is at the very bottom, with the silver part number label visible in the picture:

Access to the module is fairly tight with the 4-zone AC. After a little wiggling around, I was able to remove the dead control unit and swap in the replacement unit. After all of the work getting to it, I can say I was hoping my Park Assist system would be working again. So I fired up the vehicle and was greeted with a fully operational PA system. Always a good feeling when you know you just saved yourself about $700 cash by doing it yourself!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:29 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Sweet, now I wonder since I don't have 4 zone HVAC, if that storage spot is the way to get in without all that work. Not that mine is dead.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:48 AM
lk67
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks very detailed but unfortunately the photos are unavailable, any reason ?
Old 05-31-2019, 06:38 AM
Joefus
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took my left (Driver US, Passenger UK) boot trim out last weekend. I have a 2006 CTTS similar to the OP but without 4 way AC.
My trim panel was just held in at the top by 2 Torx screws. It came out pretty easily.
The Control Module for the park assist was behind it at the bottom.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:05 PM
jacqueusi
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This thread inspired me to do my own PDC repair. A used module on eBay was $30. NOT A CLUE if module was bad. During a follow up PPI shop told me they couldn’t communicate with the PDC. Funny, what happened the first inspection?

Went WAY better than hoped and I have the more complicated rear climate option. The module is closer to the floor, near the drivers side brake lights. It’s sits on a little tray that all comes out one piece. A little care and patience is all that’s required. Before reassembling I started up the car, took it around the block, and was rewarded with a working PDC :-)

Quick Reply: Park Assist Control Module Replacement