Sponsored by:

Auto dimming mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:00 PM
YRUNVS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto dimming mirrors

Hi folks, I have a 2013 Cayenne and wonder if anyone has found the center rear head rest restricts or limits the funtionality of the auto dimming mirrors. I find the lights from the cars behind me at night are blocked by the center head rest, putting the photocell on the inside rear view mirror in the shadow cast by it. This in turn does not trigger the dimming of the mirror. If I put the center section of the rear seat down, the photocell on the rear view mirror gets washed by the headlights of the cars behind me and the mirror dimming function works as it should. Seems like this was not thought through thoroughly. Any thoughts? Thanks Doug
Old 10-29-2013, 08:13 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Remove the center headrest.

All cars that I have owned usually have a very low headrest or if not in the past I have really just removed them.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:12 PM
YRUNVS
Advanced

Thanks Touareg for reply, it would seem that your suggestion is the logical action but it puzzles me that the Porsche engineers would have let this happen. Perhaps the answer is placing the photo cell at the top of the mirror or on the mirror mount might resolve it. I kind of like the way the seating looks inside the cabin with all the head rests in place. It appears to be a design flaw that should not be in a vehicle of this caliber. Just my opinion and perhaps I may be being too critical.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:14 PM
YRUNVS
Advanced

Another point I wanted to make is in the manual they state to keep the rear window clear of stickers or anything that would block the light from hitting the sensor. Funny they don't mention anything about the rear center head rest!!
Old 10-31-2013, 08:31 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Yea, same problem. I removed the center headrest and problem solved. The visibility out the back window also improved. It was always restricted with the center headrest in place. Since no one in my immediate family sits in the middle seat, it is not needed in our case.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:07 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I think I removed my center head rest as soon as I got it home. My issue was the impact to the visibility made the rear view mirror useless. Very bad design on their part.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:33 AM
bigbuzuki
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Looks like they got it right in the first gen models.

My centre headrest is smaller than the others providing an unobstructed path for the light to travel.
Old 11-01-2013, 11:56 AM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

HAHA
first thing I do when I get home with a new vehicle is remove that dang center headrest. Irrespective of brand it always hinders rear vision. Wasnt aware of the auto dim issue, as the headrest was never in my cayennes long enough to notice.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:30 PM
RESP
Burning Brakes

Some manufacturers make the rear centre headrest "foldable".

Sometimes they even make it droppable by a button available to the driver to select.

When a passenger gets in to use the centre rear seat, they can manually or mechanically raise the headrest. (Now the passenger's head blocks the rear view )

When the passenger exits, they can select the headrest down or the driver can do so.

On one car I drove (can't remember which one) when the driver selected reverse on the gear selector, all the unoccupied rear seats had their head rests drop.

Quick Reply: Auto dimming mirrors