Sponsored by:

04 Cayenne S Pre-Purch Checklist Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 04:09 AM
wohast
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Cayenne S Pre-Purch Checklist Help

Girlfriend really wants to pick up a 04 Cayenne for her DD.
She does about 14k miles a year.
The car has 99,500 on it right now.
2 owners (1st old guy, 2nd newborn family man)

Doing some research for her (since ill primarily be handling the sale for her) and just wanted to double check and make sure these are the only important things to ask the seller about:

Maintenance records.
Coils
Coolant Pipes (aluminum)
Fuel/Water pumps
starter
Last brake replacement
Last battery replacement

Valve body? Driveshaft? <--- Will these two items be checked in a PPI?

Can you rank the above list in order of importance...items that are a MUST or walk away from sale, at the top. Given that this car is about to ding 100k, I would imagine a lot of these big issues would have already occurred to the previous owners right?

Overall, any interior feats/items I should double check?

Last but not least...what price do you all think is fair these days for 04 CS w/100k

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:03 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 793 Likes on 445 Posts

Most of what you're looking at here (coils, pumps, starter, brakes, battery) are stuff that you're going to have to replace eventually. If they've been done already, then you're a little ahead of the game. If not, I wouldn't call it a deal-breaker, just something to keep in mind.

Coolant pipes should be checked, and there's a thread to tell you how to do so without taking anything apart.

A PPI won't tell you much about the Cardan shaft. It will absolutely go at some point, count on it. The good news is that a replacement is about $400 and you can do it in your driveway.

I wouldn't walk away from a deal for any of these. They would just figure into the equation. There's a good chance that they've been taken care of, but...

I wouldn't go above mid-teens on it. There are plenty of 100k P!gs on the market right now, find one you like for a price that works.

Good luck! (And join Rennlist!)
Old 10-16-2013, 06:36 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ what he said. Only thing I can add is that you can tell if the valve body has the sticking solenoid issue most often from downshifting on the highway. So say you are crusing in 6th or 5th and then try and floor it. Going into 4th there will be a very abrupt shift that feels and sounds un-nerving. Ask me how I know!
Old 10-17-2013, 01:40 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Given that the cosmetics are good the only deal breakers for me would be scored cylinder or crash victim. For a car at the right price the rest can be taken care of.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:36 PM
carlfluk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you ever buy one wohast?
Old 01-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

If you live in a colder climate make sure you have a leak down test done on the engine. A lot of Cayenne v8's from this era are showing signs of cylinder scoring from colder climates. I was told Porsche did not have the correct piston to cylinder wall clearance when building the engine. Do a search it has been covered.

Quick Reply: 04 Cayenne S Pre-Purch Checklist Help