Sponsored by:

looking for DIY fuel pump info

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 10:16 AM
PD Monkey
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for DIY fuel pump info

I believe I have a bad Left (driverside) fuel pump (car drives about 50 feet and stalls). As with every other DIY item on this car, fixes are not to hard if you know the processes. I've done some searching for DIY info on this fix, with no luck. Has anyone here done this fix? Any have or know of DIY info for a fuel pump replacement?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:35 AM
westy66
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish I could find a repair manual pdf somewhere. Ive had them for all my cars. Good luck
Old 09-13-2013, 12:10 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try renntech.org

Greatest Porsche DIY site in the multiverse.

Absolutely worth the dimes to join that site. Priceless.

Regarding Workshop Manual .pdfs, they exist and can be viewed and purchased online.

Here's a paste of part of a post about the PIWIS system on the Porsche.com/usa website :

Here's whatcha do - go to:

1) porsche.com/usa, then -

1a) service and accessories, then -

1b) porsche service, then -

2) When you get there go down to the fifth option titled "Technical Service Information" and click on it.

3) Once you click on "Technical Service Information" it will open a new browser window for PIWIS TSI.

4) Sign up for an account.

5) Once you have an account set up, sign in to the site and go to "General Functions" from the menu on the left side of the PIWIS TSI screen.

6) Once you're in "General Functions" go to "System Requirements" in the upper right.

7) Clicking on "System Requirements" will open a dialog window on top of your browser window. From that dialog window download the lastest Adode Reader, Adobe SVG, and the Side-by-Side plug in. No need to bother with the winzip thing. Never used it.

8) Once all those downloads are on your computer and working go BACK to "General Functions" on the PIWIS TSI home screen and click on "Order Document Access" in the lower left.

9) Use a CC and buy the $10 access.

10) Once you have the $10 in your PIWIS TSI account go BACK to the PIWIS TSI home screen and click on "Vehicle Identification" on the left side.

11) Click on "Identification via VIN" and enter your VIN and finish by clicking "continue" on the far right.

Once you're in the system it is important to know that you can't even look at a section of the workshop manual without paying for that section. Therefore, I use the graphical search option to narrow down as much as possible before I pull up a section. BTW, when searching, make sure you choose WORKSHOP MANUAL from the appropriate pulldown and SAVE everything you buy... SAVE the PIWIS overview version and SAVE the PRINT version of the document, too.

'

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 09-13-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: I like the line at the bottom... looks official.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:13 PM
PD Monkey
Track Day

Some how I missed this thread in all my searches. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...placement.html
Old 09-14-2013, 12:43 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PD Monkey
Some how I missed this thread in all my searches. Hopefully this helps someone in the future.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...placement.html
Brilliant! Great link. Thanks for this.

Now, where to find the Porsche Service Manuals for the 955? Current site appears to list only the current model.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:59 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Once you're in the system it is important to know that you can't even look at a section of the workshop manual without paying for that section. Therefore, I use the graphical search option to narrow down as much as possible before I pull up a section. BTW, when searching, make sure you choose WORKSHOP MANUAL from the appropriate pulldown and SAVE everything you buy... SAVE the PIWIS overview version and SAVE the PRINT version of the document, too.
Just to add my $0.02 to this.
  1. IE is a must since they use Adobe's SVG interface which Adobe stopped supporting in 2009 and IE is the last browser it still works in.
  2. You don't pay for a section, you pay per document. So you can browse the sections, but if you click on a document title and you have money in your account, you get billed.
  3. There is an icon to the right of the document name that you can click to get a bit more info (posting date and cost) without being charged.
  4. Once you purchase a document you can open it as many times as you want in that session without being charged again. As soon as you log out, however, you'll be charged again if you open it again in a future session.
  5. You can use CutePDF to "print" to PDF files rather than wasting paper. I have had issues with it on larger pages.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:08 PM
VERYGREEDY
Intermediate

The high pressure fuel pump is failing on my 2008 Cayenne S. Today I dropped it off at the local Napletons. They are determining if Porsche will cover it or not and will be getting back with me. He thought possibly yes, then said maybe....I was told it could be $2,000! Curious how hard this would be for a DIY as well and where do you recommend ordering the part from?? Thanks!
Old 09-17-2013, 12:00 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I took the 09 GTS in for a service just before selling it (2 years after dropping the extended warranty) and Porsche changed the HP fuel pump free of charge for the second time, the first time being just after I bought it in 2010.
Old 09-17-2013, 06:10 AM
VERYGREEDY
Intermediate

Man that's awesome....I can't afford an extra $2,000 right now...just had some other major bills last month. Was there any fight to get it paid for? I heard there's a campaign code WA29 and there's a TSB on the HP Fuel pump...but just curious if there's anything key that I can say to get them to pay for it!?

Thanks to all advice.
Old 09-18-2013, 12:15 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had no issues with the car at all, Porsche just told me that it needed to be done and did it.

Quick Reply: looking for DIY fuel pump info