Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at this GTS . PHOTO Inside . Should I pull the Trigger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 12:09 PM
JD305
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at this GTS . PHOTO Inside . Should I pull the Trigger?

Hey guys...can you provide some input...many thanks in advance!

Currently I have a really nice mint condition 2008 S which has about 11 months left on it's CPO. However, I've always wanted the better PCM, power and looks of a 2009 GTS. I have driven a 2006 Turbo S, but I just didn't care for the Gold color exterior, also....for me...the slight turbo lag was a bit of a downer. I prefer the less complex normally aspirated engine...just me...or maybe the Turbo will grow on me?

So I have been searching and found a GTS that fits my preferences...2009, silver exterior with black OEM Sportplus 21" wheels. Has the newer PCM. This one has just standard (non-full leather) interior. Previous owner did install dual integrated DVD players into the back head rest...look nice and flush, like factory. Dealer wants $40,999.00. No CPO warranty, just your standard 3 days return and then a 30 days dealer plus 30 day dealer/3rd party power train warranty. 51k+ miles and brakes have been just done by Porsche dealer (showed me Porsche receipt). Only 1 owner and Car Fax is clean.

What you guys think....good deal on this GTS?

OR....would you buy a 2006 Turbo S...price, miles and everything being equal?

Is there a difference in the type or size of the Turbos units between the 2006 & 2008?

........My current ride........I DID TAKE THE DECAL OFF... ))

Old 08-31-2013, 12:13 PM
AdMan21
Racer

Turbo S. Unless its ragged out. I'm all about the two snails, and bias.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:14 PM
JD305
Instructor

The Turbo S seems to be in mint shape and has some CPO on it.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:17 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GTS, it's 3 years newer and your not that bothered about the Turbo.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:31 PM
JD305
Instructor

The 2006 CTTS has CPO and has custom tailoring and sports design package...under front and rear bumper steel plate. Red gauges., carbon steering wheel and ****.

Old 08-31-2013, 02:57 PM
AdMan21
Racer

Sexy
Old 08-31-2013, 03:59 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have the coolant pipes been replaced on the CttS ?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:12 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

That CTTS looks sweet; makes me hanker for 20's (I think that what those are) for my CTT. A second faster 0-60 than a GTS is a strange definition of "lag". Turbo lag really meant something up to the late 90s but became effectively insignificant with the smaller, quick-spool-up turbos in the 00s. But no reviewer is permitted to write about a turbo engine without demonstrating his automotive credentials mentioning it.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:20 PM
JD305
Instructor

I guess it's that short amount of time from the moment one hits the pedal, the main engine revs up...then you can feel a little bit later the turbos actually kick in and the pig comes alive...then you start swallowing road. It's that delay that i'm referring to. Maybe on the 08 and up is not so noticeable because of the bit larger engine and the turbos are probably tuned better on the newer models???

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
That CTTS looks sweet; makes me hanker for 20's (I think that what those are) for my CTT. A second faster 0-60 than a GTS is a strange definition of "lag". Turbo lag really meant something up to the late 90s but became effectively insignificant with the smaller, quick-spool-up turbos in the 00s. But no reviewer is permitted to write about a turbo engine without demonstrating his automotive credentials mentioning it.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:23 PM
JD305
Instructor

I don't thinks so, the dealer says the plastic ones are still on...can I get them to change them?...they did the 40K & 60K service on it...CPO form says brakes have about 75% to 80% life. NEw spark plugs and 2yr brake service was done. Has the CPO for 2 yrs I think.

But those coolant pipes should really be changed before they leak?

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Have the coolant pipes been replaced on the CttS ?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:24 PM
JD305
Instructor

but but but...you had a GTS and now have a Turbo? Is the 09 Turbo more responsive than your 05 turbo? Are the transmissions the same?

Originally Posted by mcbit
GTS, it's 3 years newer and your not that bothered about the Turbo.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:38 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by JD305
I don't thinks so, the dealer says the plastic ones are still on...can I get them to change them?...they did the 40K & 60K service on it...CPO form says brakes have about 75% to 80% life. NEw spark plugs and 2yr brake service was done. Has the CPO for 2 yrs I think.

But those coolant pipes should really be changed before they leak?
Oh, yes. The coolant pipe change out needs to be factored into the possible purchase equation.

And, the brake PADS on the CttS may have 75% to 80% life but the question is how much thickness is left on the brake rotors... especially the front rotors.

On my CttS, at approx. 50k miles, my front brake rotors had 50% thickness left determined by caliper measurement versus Porsche spec.

I'm already planning for the expense of new rotors before 100k miles on mine. You should factor that into the purchase equation as well.

For me, even with the coolant pipe job, which I did myself, and the coming brake expense, which I will do myself, I would take the CttS any day. First, because of the turbo power on the highway; second, because I don't notice the PCM in the CttS.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:42 PM
JD305
Instructor

How much is a coolant pipe swap...will the dealer do it if under CPO or do I take it to a 3rd party? The cardan shaft bracket probably has not been replaced...there is a specialty shop here in Miami that has a new cool bracket system that replaces the stock cardan shaft...it's somewhere of $400

1. so how much is coolant pipe swap and will dealer do it?
2. cardan shaft...or wait till it goes out?
3. PCM 2.1.... I do need a nice way of connecting my iPhone 5 and playing all the music I have on it...whether Bluetooth or cable connect...I have a Nav-tv Bluetooth phone hook up on my CS 2008, and it's not the greatest.

Thx!

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
Oh, yes. The coolant pipe change out needs to be factored into the possible purchase equation.

And, the brake PADS on the CttS may have 75% to 80% life but the question is how much thickness is left on the brake rotors... especially the front rotors.

On my CttS, at approx. 50k miles, my front brake rotors had 50% thickness left determined by caliper measurement versus Porsche spec.

I'm already planning for the expense of new rotors before 100k miles on mine. You should factor that into the purchase equation as well.

For me, even with the coolant pipe job, which I did myself, and the coming brake expense, which I will do myself, I would take the CttS any day. First, because of the turbo power on the highway; second, because I don't notice the PCM in the CttS.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:51 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by JD305
How much is a coolant pipe swap...will the dealer do it if under CPO or do I take it to a 3rd party? The cardan shaft bracket probably has not been replaced...there is a specialty shop here in Miami that has a new cool bracket system that replaces the stock cardan shaft...it's somewhere of $400

1. so how much is coolant pipe swap and will dealer do it?
2. cardan shaft...or wait till it goes out?
3. PCM 2.1.... I do need a nice way of connecting my iPhone 5 and playing all the music I have on it...whether Bluetooth or cable connect...I have a Nav-tv Bluetooth phone hook up on my CS 2008, and it's not the greatest.

Thx!
I've had no issue with my cardan shaft as of 54k miles... knock on wood.

The coolant pipe swap cost and the PCM to iPhone 5 possibilities in the CttS I don't know the answers too at all, I'm afraid... but I guarantee you somebody here knows both of those answers!
Old 08-31-2013, 04:52 PM
JD305
Instructor

The guy at the dealer here says...no problem about the coolant pipes...bring to him and he'll take care of swapping them.

Quick Reply: Looking at this GTS . PHOTO Inside . Should I pull the Trigger?