Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at this GTS . PHOTO Inside . Should I pull the Trigger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 04:56 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JD305
The guy at the dealer here says...no problem about the coolant pipes...bring to him and he'll take care of swapping them.
Wow. That's a great deal from the dealer.

If you decide to go that way, then get a quote for the CttS coolant pipe kit from Sunset Porsche http://www.sunsetimports.com/portlan...porsche-parts/ at least as a reference, I would proffer.

Sunset Porsche had the best price I could find when I did mine.

Make certain the kit includes the 'T' pipes, too.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:34 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

CPO is a major plus on any out-of-warranty Porsche where the small stuff often costs like big stuff. Things like hatch cylinders, AC, instruments, air suspension...all covered w/CPO. Its saved me $2K on such things in less than 6 months.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:45 PM
JD305
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Only thing that I would miss if getting a 2006 is the automatic rear hatch and the 3.0 PCM ipod connect.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:56 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you should cool out.. and wait for an 09 turbo with PDCC.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:12 PM
JD305
Instructor

Is PDCC that bad-***? I don't need anymore stuff to break down in the future

Plus...have to wait another year or so till they come down to the same price? In the mean time my current 08 CS depreciates more and I lose the last year of CPO, which is a good selling point right now for it.

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I think you should cool out.. and wait for an 09 turbo with PDCC.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:15 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Word. I just think the 06 will annoy because u are used to face lift and the gts isn't enough of an upgrade to warrant the fuss. But you know best whats important to u.

Redcc - I don't think it's unreliable. I really like driving hard sometimes and so for me it would be mandatory reason to upgrade. I also would want more power which to me the gts doesn't offer a big boost. But you may not care about that stuff. GTS does flex more in the looks dept so YMMV.

Last edited by endless_corners; 08-31-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:15 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

The guy at the dealer here says...no problem about the coolant pipes...bring to him and he'll take care of swapping them.
HA.....get that 1 in writing. I bet the guy thinks he is popping the hood and swapping a rubber hose from AC Delco. It's $575ish in parts and 6-9 hours labor from what I have read. Read through the coolant pipe sticky.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:44 PM
JD305
Instructor

Is the 2009 GTS that much lighter than the 06 Turbo S? I see the Turbo S at 5668 pounds and the GTS at 5376 pounds.

Are the turbos any different on the 08 versus the 06? I know the compression ratio is much higher on the 08 and newer engines versus the older 06 4.5L engine.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:47 PM
JD305
Instructor

nothing that a hammer and a pick won't do to get the leak going......I hate big corporate schemes that sneak their way out of recalls....in a "let's wait until it breaks to fix it" mode

My understanding is when the coolants pipes start leaking...you can go from wet to dry in no time and seize the engine...or the coolant leaks onto the starter and fries it...which then requires the entire engine to be pulled to fix the starter....

anyhow, I trust the service guy...I know his family and where he lives...if he tells me something, I'm sure it will get done in one way or another

Originally Posted by Miamirice
HA.....get that 1 in writing. I bet the guy thinks he is popping the hood and swapping a rubber hose from AC Delco. It's $575ish in parts and 6-9 hours labor from what I have read. Read through the coolant pipe sticky.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:11 PM
AdMan21
Racer

When your pipes burst it is important to clean out the coolant as quickly as possible. The starter will be soaked in coolant- as it sits directly below the pipes, there is no need to pull the engine to replace anything. A bigger issue arrives when that coolant eats up your torque converter seal.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:26 PM
JD305
Instructor

Ah...good to know...I thought the starter rusted or something. Torque converter seal then mean whole tranny pull. Propylene glycol is that caustic to seals???...not good for dogs or cats either?

Originally Posted by AdMan21
When your pipes burst it is important to clean out the coolant as quickly as possible. The starter will be soaked in coolant- as it sits directly below the pipes, there is no need to pull the engine to replace anything. A bigger issue arrives when that coolant eats up your torque converter seal.

Last edited by JD305; 08-31-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:13 AM
mjr24
Advanced

Would easily take the GTS. The Turbo S is older.....looks a lot older. The maintenance costs are going to be same as if it were new. I just traded in my SL55 towards my Cayenne because it also had a long laundry list of stuff that breaks and it's NEVER cheap. I couldn't justify spending that on a car that was 7-10 years old anymore.

I have a Cayenne S now and find it has PLENTY of power for an SUV....I wouldn't think the power difference between a Turbo S and a GTS is going to be enough to buy an older Turbo S.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:25 AM
JD305
Instructor

I hear you...and this is a line of thinking that's up my alley. The 2006 Turbo S does come with 2 year CPO. The 2009 GTS is nice looking though.

On a side note, I read around here that the 2006 CTTS could probably be a collector because only 600 came into the USA? Not sure if this is an accurate assumption?

Originally Posted by mjr24
Would easily take the GTS. The Turbo S is older.....looks a lot older. The maintenance costs are going to be same as if it were new. I just traded in my SL55 towards my Cayenne because it also had a long laundry list of stuff that breaks and it's NEVER cheap. I couldn't justify spending that on a car that was 7-10 years old anymore.

I have a Cayenne S now and find it has PLENTY of power for an SUV....I wouldn't think the power difference between a Turbo S and a GTS is going to be enough to buy an older Turbo S.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:07 AM
mcbit
Drifting

but but but...you had a GTS and now have a Turbo? Is the 09 Turbo more responsive than your 05 turbo? Are the transmissions the same?
I had the 09 GTS first (in 2010) and concurrently ran the 05 CTT when my work moved to a 170 mile round trip commute. I drove the 05 CTT from 55,000 miles to 122,000 miles in just over 2 years all on the original coolant pipes and cardan shaft. The CTT was a quick and competent highway car but out on the twisties and the GTS really showed it mettle and was a much more entertaining car to drive.

On the 09 CTT in order to match the performance of the 05 CTT it has to be driven in Sport mode, getting it going in normal mode takes a bit of effort. Even with PDCC I'm still not convinced that the 09 CTT handles as well as the GTS did. My 05 CTT very, very rarely exhibited the "turbo lag", probably better described as throttle lag, that others mention so not an issue for me. Bear in mind that there is a 340 hp engine underneath the turbos so it should still have some instant go.

And to all those naysayers out there...the GTS is a completely different animal from the S.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:00 AM
JD305
Instructor

Thanks bro for the advice!

I won't be doing much highway driving...mostly city (south florida)...and the streets are not bad here as far as pot holes or stuff like that.

So you feel this 2009 GTS trumps the 2006 CTTS with CPO? For driveability and comfort, etc.

How much is a 2 year CPO worth in dollars....or I guess "piece of mind" for that matter?

I have driven a 2006 CTTS, and it seems smaller than the 2008+ Cayenne. The TT is a monster though when you smash the pedal.

Originally Posted by mcbit
I had the 09 GTS first (in 2010) and concurrently ran the 05 CTT when my work moved to a 170 mile round trip commute. I drove the 05 CTT from 55,000 miles to 122,000 miles in just over 2 years all on the original coolant pipes and cardan shaft. The CTT was a quick and competent highway car but out on the twisties and the GTS really showed it mettle and was a much more entertaining car to drive.

On the 09 CTT in order to match the performance of the 05 CTT it has to be driven in Sport mode, getting it going in normal mode takes a bit of effort. Even with PDCC I'm still not convinced that the 09 CTT handles as well as the GTS did. My 05 CTT very, very rarely exhibited the "turbo lag", probably better described as throttle lag, that others mention so not an issue for me. Bear in mind that there is a 340 hp engine underneath the turbos so it should still have some instant go.

And to all those naysayers out there...the GTS is a completely different animal from the S.

Quick Reply: Looking at this GTS . PHOTO Inside . Should I pull the Trigger?