Sponsored by:

Another Cardan Post. Just replaced, new recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 01:03 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Another Cardan Post. Just replaced, new recommendation

Just to let everyone know of a new option. I just replaced my Cardan ('06CTTS) with a new GKN shaft ($580) delivered with the Guibo and 3 bolts holding it on. Purchased from New Parts at 855-505-2886. Install went fairly easy, but I do have a lift in my garage. Drives perfect again, the failure was fairly sudden as I had the Cayenne on the lift in the last month to inspect the rubber on the Center bearing but had no signs. I do imagine that being a OEM replacement manufacturer and new that the balance should be to OEM specs. Some balance problems may come from aftermarket rebuilt shafts and/or from the install. The adjustable (slotted) bolt holes for the Center bearing are good for adjustment but they can tweak the bearing as you are tightening them if you are not using the install tool (I didn't have one). I let the shaft sit in it's natural state and market the exact location of the bolt holes and then tightened it from there with pressure from the top of the Center bearing so it wouldn't move as I tightened it. We'll see how it lasts over time. I imagine those that have had their replacements only last 5K to 10K most likely were due to misalignment of the center bearing.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:21 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm new to the Cayenne fold, but there are a couple of solutions that I'm curious about.

Has anyone replaced their center support bearing with a spherical ball bearing, they are self aligning and would allow a greater tolerance during installation.

What about eliminating the center support bearing all together, and using a one piece driveshaft?
Old 08-17-2013, 04:38 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the method of Isolating the Spherical bearing could be an issue. Porsche/VW did the current design out of cost and easy production. The Spherical bearing would be pricier, not sure how you would adapt it to the current design. Even if the new rubber bushing isn't improved, for the price on a Porsche I can live with replacing it every 65K miles.

Quick Reply: Another Cardan Post. Just replaced, new recommendation