FORE! Kinda...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:34 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Holy crap!

The first response to my first post was Lewis saying 'noobs taste like chicken.' I knew I found a home.

Huge hint: We all make fun of each other, we laugh at our P!g ownership, we all make smart *** comments referring to things in the past that you will not understand, and most importantly, no one cares what you think. It's a clubhouse where we commiserate over P!g ownership, interspersed with really useful tech help, or sources of tech help.

Go ahead and ask a question. Then sit back, have a laugh, and wait until you get the answer. It will come.

Or you could post the forum Ninety-Five Theses and send us all on the right track. Good luck with that.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:09 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 99 Posts

I don't have any X5 experience, but we picked up our 2013 GTS at the start of June. I am fortunate to have a couple of other P-cars in my life right now (a Boxster S and a 3.2 Carrera) and I have found the character of the GTS to fit in well with the other two. For sure it does not have the same sports car feel, but it is a great all-round vehicle. The driving position and overall comfort is (to me) without fault. I find the tiptronic shifts quite quickly in manual mode, and have not found myself feeling "limited" by the transmission.

I actually enjoy driving this vehicle, and I generally don't like SUVs, so that is quite a feat.

Build quality is excellent and the level of detail refinement is high. The best part of the GTS (for me) is the sound.

Our spec was very basic... Essentially two-tone leather interior, PCM and park assist were the only options. PDDC and PTV are recommended by many. I drove one with those too. For our purposes, they were not "must-haves". The standard GTS set up is quite good on its own.

Frankly, I don't think you will go wrong with whatever options you have.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Divot
Holy crap!

The first response to my first post was Lewis saying 'noobs taste like chicken.' I knew I found a home.

Huge hint: We all make fun of each other, we laugh at our P!g ownership, we all make smart *** comments referring to things in the past that you will not understand, and most importantly, no one cares what you think. It's a clubhouse where we commiserate over P!g ownership, interspersed with really useful tech help, or sources of tech help.

Go ahead and ask a question. Then sit back, have a laugh, and wait until you get the answer. It will come.

Or you could post the forum Ninety-Five Theses and send us all on the right track. Good luck with that.
There is nothing better than a P!g Pen newbie with an attitude and buttocks clenched so tight you couldn't squeeze a AAA roadside assistance card between them.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:15 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by L_perm
I wouldn't call the green "vomit green" at all. Never seen vomit that color. I'm pretty sure it's not called that when it shows up on a Gallardo or '69 GTO. To each his own.
It's called vomit green because it makes one want to vomit

- Sincerely yours, an owner so bitter about Cayenne ownership that I'm now on my second serving of P!G

Old 08-13-2013, 02:30 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The people on this forum just seem plain bitter.

The posts all come across as written by people looking for each other's approval.
Really, who is seeking who's approval? VVV

I don't have lemming status yet--no purchase--but I'm considering joining your club (pen?).

Having read through a few posts here, it's clear you guys and gals are a tight group. I'm guessing that having to hear and read all the "VW Cayenne," "can't be a Porsche," "the Cayenne is the devil" nonsense flying around out there has created a common empathy.

It also appears as though you've taken it in stride, perhaps bolstered by the pleasure of owning a Cayenne and reveling in the ignorance of the naysayers.

First question: Is the humorous self-deprecation I see everywhere here:

a) a means for laughing in order to keep from crying, or
b) a sarcastic expression of joy at the ignorance of the naysayers?

I'm prepared to be LTC'd now.

Thanks,
Louis
You asked for the banter!

There is a huge amount of knowledge and experience in this forum but not necessarily a significant number of regular contributors with 958 GTS's although they have started turning up now.

I wouldn't call the green "vomit green" at all. Never seen vomit that color
Never OD'd on gaucamole and tequila, eh!

I'm pretty sure it's not called that when it shows up on a Gallardo or '69 GTO. To each his own.
Indeed, I don't care which car it is on, that is one nasty colour!

IMHO
Old 08-13-2013, 02:45 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
It's called vomit green because it makes one want to vomit

- Sincerely yours, an owner so bitter about Cayenne ownership that I'm now on my second serving of P!G
And that is one P!g heavily flavored with Panameradingdong.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 PM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Meeting of the Dubai P!G Owner's Club
Attached Images   
Old 08-13-2013, 02:58 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

And that is one P!g heavily flavored with Panameradingdong.
Now, speaking of an expensive POS. I've no idea who'd willingly fork over whatever it is black/black, optionless Pan4 costs. Hoe-Lee-****, that car is NOT fun to drive and/or be in.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:03 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Shouldn't you be drowning somewhere in the Mediterranean this time of year?
Old 08-13-2013, 06:18 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by madraddoc
I'm also new to this forum (1 month old 2013 GTS) and can see where you are coming from.
It seems like many of the veteran members would prefer to hijack topics with inane replies that are less than helpful. Overall, it dumbs down the general vibe of the Cayenne forum.

My 2 cents regarding your original question: I previously owned the 1st gen. X5 (2001 4.4 Sport) and find the Cayenne better in every way but particularly the quality of the ride over all surfaces. While this is obviously related to the PASM in the Cayenne, Porsche engineers did a brilliant job maintaining steering feel/handling which is something my previous 2010 MB E550 sport with air suspension lacked.
Overall, I'm extremely pleased with my GTS.
Great to hear. Thanks for the input. I sensed a better ride quality to the extent it is possible over ten minutes, on different roads, several days removed. Interesting that you mention the E550 Sport because I'll be trading an E550 cab.

Originally Posted by 500_19B
I don't have any X5 experience, but we picked up our 2013 GTS at the start of June. I am fortunate to have a couple of other P-cars in my life right now (a Boxster S and a 3.2 Carrera) and I have found the character of the GTS to fit in well with the other two. For sure it does not have the same sports car feel, but it is a great all-round vehicle. The driving position and overall comfort is (to me) without fault. I find the tiptronic shifts quite quickly in manual mode, and have not found myself feeling "limited" by the transmission.

I actually enjoy driving this vehicle, and I generally don't like SUVs, so that is quite a feat.

Build quality is excellent and the level of detail refinement is high. The best part of the GTS (for me) is the sound.

Our spec was very basic... Essentially two-tone leather interior, PCM and park assist were the only options. PDDC and PTV are recommended by many. I drove one with those too. For our purposes, they were not "must-haves". The standard GTS set up is quite good on its own.

Frankly, I don't think you will go wrong with whatever options you have.
Cool! Some very good info here--particularly coming from a non-SUV person. Thank you. I am an SUV person, by the way. I'm trading a '13 E550 cab that I just can't get used to driving. I'm usually wearing a ball cap and 5-days scruff, and the (very nice) Merc just doesn't fit. I thought it was going to be a family fun car, but no one else drives it. So, if I'm going to have a vehicle that only I drive--other than my TT--then I'd like for it to be an SUV.

I don't feel the need for the "Pluses" or yellow calipers either.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:59 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

...no one cares what you think. It's a clubhouse...sit back, have a laugh,...
I do agree with the clubhouse metaphor. Clubs are, by definition, a means of exclusion.

As a stranger, I'm obviously not going to get the inside jokes, as you deftly point out. So, how am I supposed to sit back and have a laugh? I'm still waiting for something to laugh at, and I'm not just referring to my thread.

Originally Posted by ltc
There is nothing better than a P!g Pen newbie with an attitude and buttocks clenched so tight you couldn't squeeze a AAA roadside assistance card between them.
Bravo "super moderator." Your piglets look up to you and strive to emulate. I could have pasted your reply from any number of other web forums full of mundane, predictably sarcastic masses. The Napolean-complexed bunch over at bimmerfest comes to mind.

Keep pasting these insanely funny one-liners into threads and you're going to make it to 30,000. The piglets couldn't ask for a more tenacious inspiration than yourself.

Originally Posted by EnigmaWmn
It's called vomit green because it makes one want to vomit...
I was wondering which of you would write this. Leave it to the woman to swing at the low-hanging fruit.

Originally Posted by mcbit
...but not necessarily a significant number of regular contributors with 958 GTS's although they have started turning up now.
This is actually useful to know. Thank you for the insight. It only took a few posts--you're making progress.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:26 PM
EnigmaWmn
Just call me Pops
Rennlist Member

Hey Louis, I don't swing at fruits Low hanging or other and Divot doesn't count.

But I'm sure you knew I'd say that. I think we're in monthly synchrony, if you know what I mean
Old 08-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Someone is trying awful hard at being "Most Popular". Now I'm waiting for the 'not trying to be popular, just blah, blah, blah' thingy. See, just sit back and laugh. Newsflash - The Mean Girls are mean.

Damn t-shirts are already printed - ! Exclusive ! but I am inspired by my new location!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:25 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As a stranger, I'm obviously not going to get the inside jokes, as you deftly point out. So, how am I supposed to sit back and have a laugh?
Strange, since the title of your post includes 2 "inside jokes":
"Fore" and "!"
And you conclude your post with expecting to get "LTC'd"
As a stranger, we will just chalk this up to behinner's luck. Sort of like the "place a million chimps in front of a typewriter and one will output Shakespeare.

I'm still waiting for something to laugh at, and I'm not just referring to my thread.
Something to laugh at....hmmn, how about....

Warning: Objects in mirror appear larger than they really are
Old 08-14-2013, 08:27 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think this thread should be a sticky for noobs... for how not to start things off.

Last edited by endless_corners; 08-14-2013 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: FORE! Kinda...