Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want a Cayenne but have a towing question.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:19 PM
LRBill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Want a Cayenne but have a towing question.

I have been lusting after a Cayenne for some time now and have started looking around for a Cayenne S.

I have a question for those of you that tow frequently. I am also going to buy a toy hauler that will push 6500 to 7000 lbs after loaded modestly. It will be in the 27 to 30 foot range. Would you feel comfortable using your Cayenne as your tow vehicle for extensive travel over the US and Canada?

I really don't want to buy a pick up...BTDT many times and really would prefer the Cayenne.

Good idea or bad?

Do they have a large enough foot print to maintain stability when towing?

Thanks for your thoughts

Bill
Old 08-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

For non pick-up solution I would go diesel not S, would also look at grand cherokee diesel. It's not a Porsche but its a very well built platform for towing, personally i think better for the duty you describe than porsche, and may be under priced with all the merc/Daimler DNA.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:44 PM
LRBill
Racer

Maybe I'm not seeing so good, but the Jeep website doesn't show a diesel version. What am I missing??
Old 08-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Make sure you are looking at 2014, might be option under powertrain. Might also only be avail on better model like limited or overland. ( the air condition seats are awesome)

It has class 4 hitch thats a plug n play ready to go. Think the Cherokee is rated at 7400 lbs and higher tongue weight. It clearly is a better tow vehicle.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

6500-7000 lbs is under the rated maximum towing weight.

Purchase a Sherline tongue weight scale to make sure you are under the max rated 670 lbs tongue weight.

PASM or no PASM on the proposed P!g?
Self leveling Xenons or Halogens?
Towing mirror extensions?
AAA membership?

Have the coolant tubes and water pump been replaced (assumes this is not a new P!g purchase; otherwise as previously mentioned a diesel would be preferred.

What will be inside the P!g while towing (with a full tank). You have to watch this GVWR weight as well.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:14 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
6500-7000 lbs is under the rated maximum towing weight.

Purchase a Sherline tongue weight scale to make sure you are under the max rated 670 lbs tongue weight.

What will be inside the P!g while towing (with a full tank). You have to watch this GVWR weight as well.
+1

I tow a 1500 lb trailer with gear and a 3000 lb race car with no issues whatsoever. Having a trailer with LED lights and electric brakes is tough to make compatible with the Cayenne. Better stay away from LED lights.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Chris51080
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I havent towed anything with a Cayenne other than a couple of small boats. That being said, It's not the weight I'd worry about. If you're towing a 27'+ enclosed trailer, it's going to be a huge sail that pushes the Cayenne around, especially in a strong crosswind.

I've had the misfortune of towing a 24' enclosed trails behind a V8 Grand Cherokee. I was pushed around for the entire trip.

Yes you can tow the trailer with the Cayenne, but if it's going to be a regular thing, going cross country, you're going to be better off and much more comfortable with something like an F250. The combination of a long wheel base and sheer weight will do wonders keeping the trailer in line.

If you were pulling a heavy open trailer, I wouldn't worry much.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:17 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

I have towed my trailex enclosed trailer with my Spyder and extras with my 2011 Cayenne S almost 8,000 miles with no issues. My total weight is more like 5600 lbs but I have seen other Cayennes towing heavier enclosed trailers at Parade and none had any issues. Electric trailer brakes help. I have PASM on my Cayenne but no air Suspension. My previous Cayenne was an '08 GTS and I towed an open trailer with a 911 on it to Keystone Co for an earlier parade and had no issues in the mountains. It is an amazing vehicle
Old 08-07-2013, 08:19 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I presently tow a 20ft enclosed Featherlite (20' is without the v-nose portion) with my 997 and equipment with my 2013 diesel. I am at 6000lbs for total trailer weight, 300-400 tongue weight depending on load style of the 997 (forward vs rearward). With two passengers and gear, we have no issues. But I am not sure I'd go 26ft or larger with the Cayenne diesel, but if you do, keep the speed around 60 mph on hwy. A three axle trailer may be ok at 26ft. I also have PASM and air suspension which helps with towing a level load and sway. Never feel being pushed ... so far... and yes, you will most definitely need mirror extensions, the stock mirrors are worthless for towing any enclosed trailer.

Last edited by stronbl; 08-08-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
+1
Having a trailer with LED lights and electric brakes is tough to make compatible with the Cayenne. Better stay away from LED lights.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:04 PM
LRBill
Racer

Your thoughts are very informative.
Thanks!

Being pushed around by crosswinds was a concern with the shorter wheel base. Might be better to just bite the bullet and get another pickup.
Maybe I'll get a toy hauler big enough to haul the 996 and go have fun with it..... :-)

Thanks again for the help.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:22 AM
jcorenman
Rennlist Member

Received 292 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank 993 C4S
+1

I tow a 1500 lb trailer with gear and a 3000 lb race car with no issues whatsoever. Having a trailer with LED lights and electric brakes is tough to make compatible with the Cayenne. Better stay away from LED lights.
U-Haul lighting adaptor, $29.95, works great...
Old 08-08-2013, 08:10 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

Let me throw some interesting information into the mix. I have discussed this subject with technical representatives from Porsche and no clear answer has surfaced.

The advertised maximum towing weight for a Cayenne ( except the base Cayenne) is 7716 lbs. The maximum stated trailer tongue weight is 617 lbs.
Each state regulations are different but in most states trailers approved for maximum gross weights over 4000 lbs must have electric trailer brakes.

In doing some research to back up the "rule of thumb" that tongue weight should be 10-12 percent of total trailer and load weight, I have found the following from Sherline makers of tongue weight scales.

Tongue weight for a tandem axle trailer should be 9-15 percent of the maximum weight of the trailer and its load. For a single axle trailer it should be 10-15 percent of the total weight.

Using these figures and applying a 9% maximum tongue weight you would find that the actual maximum trailer and load weight would be not over 6800 lbs not 7716. If you had a tongue weight more than 10% of the total the overall weight would have to be even less to comply with the 617 maximum tongue weight Porsche lists.

Now that said I would never tow a load at or close to the manufacturers listed maximum .. a safety factor is a good thing. Over all size and height of the trailer are also factors to consider in selecting a trailer and load.

All that said for trailers and loads of around 6000 the Cayenne is a great towing vehicle
Old 08-08-2013, 10:09 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Always buy the right tool for the job.

Larry's widow's 2005 Excursion diesel, her daily driver/dog hauler.
12,000# towing capacity, full cold rolled steel frame, 44 gallon tank, seats 7.

You could drag the P!g AND your trailer with this.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:11 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Let me throw some interesting information into the mix. I have discussed this subject with technical representatives from Porsche and no clear answer has surfaced.

The advertised maximum towing weight for a Cayenne ( except the base Cayenne) is 7716 lbs. The maximum stated trailer tongue weight is 617 lbs.
Each state regulations are different but in most states trailers approved for maximum gross weights over 4000 lbs must have electric trailer brakes.

In doing some research to back up the "rule of thumb" that tongue weight should be 10-12 percent of total trailer and load weight, I have found the following from Sherline makers of tongue weight scales.

Tongue weight for a tandem axle trailer should be 9-15 percent of the maximum weight of the trailer and its load. For a single axle trailer it should be 10-15 percent of the total weight.

Using these figures and applying a 9% maximum tongue weight you would find that the actual maximum trailer and load weight would be not over 6800 lbs not 7716. If you had a tongue weight more than 10% of the total the overall weight would have to be even less to comply with the 617 maximum tongue weight Porsche lists.

Now that said I would never tow a load at or close to the manufacturers listed maximum .. a safety factor is a good thing. Over all size and height of the trailer are also factors to consider in selecting a trailer and load.

All that said for trailers and loads of around 6000 the Cayenne is a great towing vehicle
Since the P!g's introduction 10 years ago, the rated towing capacity/ tongue weight specifications have changed more times than Oprah Winfrey's dress size...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Want a Cayenne but have a towing question.