Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my Bose audio really as bad as it sounds?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 03:08 PM
billyg
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yo DWC, we have a place @ Seven Canyons. We drive out every Jan from Ma.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have a problem as I mostly listen to NPR, talk radio, and classical.

You damned hippies and your rock-n-roll.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

He's obviously not doing enough mushrooms.....
Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 PM
LS1RX7
Track Day

I think there may be something wrong with your system but who knows what. I have owned a lot of cars and have never heard a better factory system than my 2005 Cayenne Turbo. There is basically no distortion at even very loud levels and it has crisp highs and good bass as well. The problem is going to be diagnosing the issue.
Old 07-17-2013, 10:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbuzuki
No complaints here on the Bose in my Cayenne.
The amplifier design is top notch.....cue......
No need to flatter Larry ... Remember he's dead.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
At a guess I would say there is something wrong with yours based on your comparative descriptions that I have actually heard myself. The PCM sounds better than all those systems

Your in a car not a house
I doubt there's a hardware problem and a competent audio electronics techs who could diagnose it are rare, distant and would cost more to test and diagnose than a new system would cost. I was hoping for suggested alternatives; hardware and installation. I do have a good idea of how a quality audio system should sound; home or car. The system in my CTT ain't it.
Old 07-18-2013, 12:26 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not that this will solve your issue but my unit had surround sound checked by default. I think it sounds like **** with that on. I forget what it's called like pcs or something. Try going into audio settings and disable it if its on. You might like the mix better.. I did. I also personally lower treble and boost bass.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:58 PM
xrtdr
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All,
No activity in almost 4 years, anyone still here?
I just bought my first Porsche--a certified preowned 2016 Cayenne SEH.
I am not a sports-car guy, but am excited to try the hybrid platform and have upgraded to Porsche from a 2011 Audi Q5.
Obviously, the drive is tank-like compared to the Q5, will take some getting used to.
My main issue today is the awful sound of the Bose system. I am utterly dejected over it. I've had the car 2 days and despite constant tweaking including the Eq settings of itunes and spotify, it sounds like AM radio, all compressed and tunnel-like. Sound is more enjoyable to me than the ride, so I need to remedy this. Does anyone have any useful info, such as aftermarket solutions that won't be more than a few grand? Anyone in the same boat, so to speak? Could there be a blown channel or fuse or something? I went back to the dealer today and told my sales guy how upset I am and he didn't think there was much he could do, but said his mgr would reach out tomorrow.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:50 AM
Morehouze
1st Gear

Default Bose woes

Originally Posted by xrtdr
Hi All,
No activity in almost 4 years, anyone still here?
I just bought my first Porsche--a certified preowned 2016 Cayenne SEH.
I am not a sports-car guy, but am excited to try the hybrid platform and have upgraded to Porsche from a 2011 Audi Q5.
Obviously, the drive is tank-like compared to the Q5, will take some getting used to.
My main issue today is the awful sound of the Bose system. I am utterly dejected over it. I've had the car 2 days and despite constant tweaking including the Eq settings of itunes and spotify, it sounds like AM radio, all compressed and tunnel-like. Sound is more enjoyable to me than the ride, so I need to remedy this. Does anyone have any useful info, such as aftermarket solutions that won't be more than a few grand? Anyone in the same boat, so to speak? Could there be a blown channel or fuse or something? I went back to the dealer today and told my sales guy how upset I am and he didn't think there was much he could do, but said his mgr would reach out tomorrow.
I just picked up a 2012 Cayenne Turbo with a Bose system and man it sounds really bad. (System Version V3.43) Probably the worst sounding system i have ever heard... not exaggerating.
I came from a 2009 BMW X5 4.8is with a Bose system that was phenomenal. I won't be able to deal with this sound. Please, has anyone upgraded speakers or done something, anything to rectify this? please help
Old 08-16-2017, 02:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Morehouze
I just picked up a 2012 Cayenne Turbo with a Bose system and man it sounds really bad. (System Version V3.43) Probably the worst sounding system i have ever heard... not exaggerating.
I came from a 2009 BMW X5 4.8is with a Bose system that was phenomenal. I won't be able to deal with this sound. Please, has anyone upgraded speakers or done something, anything to rectify this? please help
Morehouze - you may want to make a new post in the 958 section, since your 2012 CTT is a 958, and the Bose system in it is only vaguely similar to the 955/957 systems.

Try setting everything on the Bose to null.. ie - no frequency boost, no spacial sound settings. The Bose system on the 958 is at least as good as the BMW one - if it sounds awful something is misadjusted or broken. Upgrading speakers isn't going to help that. Once it's nulled out - then carefully turn the frequency bass/treble boost levels to what works for you.

It's not a Burmester - but when I had a loaner for a month with the Bose system - (I have the Burmester in the CTT) it didn't sound awful to me.

Quick Reply: Is my Bose audio really as bad as it sounds?