Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 going away

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 07:28 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, my plan is to buy a used diesel, lightly used with the 6yr/100k certified warranty. They're starting to show up.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:30 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah totally, I bet they will depreciate much slower than turbos and gts's.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:36 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by philg3
. Lately, diesel has been cheaper than premium gas... .
Hold on a second while I push my margarita to the side and change hats.

Let me take off the "insane auto enthusiast" hat and find my "Economist" hat. (paid a small fortune for this one.)

For the sake of the discussion and the tequila I'm going to use massive amounts of generalization here.

Ready?

Despite all the advantages and advancement in diesels, gasoline is NEVER going away.

Simply put. When you harvest a "barrel of oil" you end up with 2 main products (and a bunch of smaller products). Gasoline and diesel!

There is a built in worldwide market for diesel. Goods transportation, shipping, trucking, rails,etc, all use a form of diesel. So if we have a market for half the barrel of oil, we need to maintain a market for the other half. Otherwise it becomes "waste" and not profit!

I agree that diesel is cool and efficient but "big oil", the biggest business on earth will do all it can to keep gas motors in the cycle.

All of this comes to a point. They can/do adjust the fuel prices so that the "economy" you get with the extra mileage becomes a wash at best over time.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:45 PM
fincher
Racer

Haha. Who said diesel would replace gas? Diesel is less in the summer and usually higher in the winter due to heating oil use.

Point is, diesel is more efficient and ideal for an SUV. In Europe, diesel is common among all vehicles, not just heavy-duty trucks.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:57 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by fincher
Haha. Who said diesel would replace gas? Diesel is less in the summer and usually higher in the winter due to heating oil use.

Point is, diesel is more efficient and ideal for an SUV. In Europe, diesel is common among all vehicles, not just heavy-duty trucks.
People were just touting the diesel so highly.

Diesel is certainly NOT cheaper than premium around here on the summer, or winter.

Last edited by Cole; 06-27-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:14 PM
fincher
Racer

Ok. In the Midwest it is less than gas...at least this summer and last summer.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:35 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

With weight savings, direct injection and turbo charging.. gas engines are starting to behave more like diesel in terms of efficiency. If you factor in the fact that diesel has more energy by volume then the fuel economy is about the same on an ultimate level. But I will say that refineries in this country crack to favor gasoline production. Our governments policies have also geared towards diesel use for military, trucks and rail and steers consumer adoption away from diesels by ever stricter standards and lack of subsidy. Europe also buys our excess diesel and we get some of their gas. So there are definitely demographic issues at play if people en masse adopted diesels. But we all know it will take a long time for consumers to move to diesel vehicles especially considering the price premium.

Still for a heavy vehicle (in general) a torque monster diesel makes a lot of sense. I have have owned many diesel and gasoline cars. The wall of torque you get with a diesel allows you to accelerate without kicking down to a lower gear and creates the perception of abundant "power". A tuned diesel (bigger turbo, injectors, ecu) can be A LOT of fun... but i digress all of my last cars have been v8 gas cars. I feel like I might as well enjoy that reality while I can before v8's go the way of the dodo.

Still, in 6 years I may be quite tempted by a tdi 958 cayenne with DPF delete, and ecu tune.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:36 PM
fincher
Racer

Yeah, there is little incentive now to sell V8s here, unless its a Porsche, I guess. There once was the V10 TDI here for the Touareg...very coveted Touareg and a PIA to service. That is a lot of fun to drive.

For me, I really want the Cayenne diesel for the interior first.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:51 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

yeah the v10 tdi's were the lust object for me back in my tdi days.. Heavy truck though at 6k lbs.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:45 AM
fincher
Racer

The V10 TDI has gone the way of the dodo, too.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:08 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Yeah it was a Piech era halo car move just like the phaeton, and bugati veyron. Dude was crazy but also knew how to bring it.. even if all the cool cars lost money.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:34 AM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by fincher
The V10 TDI has gone the way of the dodo, too.
Cool engine. Made for 8 years, just barely available in the USA.

V10 TDI (2002–2010)
The V10 TDI was offered in the United States for a limited time in 2004, but emissions regulations forced it off the market for a temporary period.[5]
The V10 TDI returned to the U.S. market as 2006 model year vehicle in five states. Later US models went on sale in 2006, which was compliant with 50 states emission with Ultra-low sulfur diesel and particulate filter.[6] Stricter California Air Resources Board (CARB) emissions standards resulted in the V10 TDI being cancelled again in the United States.[7] The model was dubbed the "Meanest Vehicle for the Environment in 2007" by the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy[8] because of its fuel economy of 17 miles per US gallon city (12 l/100 km) and 24 mpg highway (10 l/100 km). The V10 engine has since been replaced by a V6 TDI engine that meets the CARB minimum emission requirements for the 2009 model year.
R50 (2007–2010)

Volkswagen Touareg R50
The Touareg R50 is the third Volkswagen after the Golf and Passat to be given the 'R' treatment by Volkswagen Individual GmbH. The R50 global launch was at the 2007 Australian International Motor Show.
The "R50" naming comes from the engine displacement: 5.0 L. The R50 was offered with a 5.0-litre V10 diesel engine, 257 kilowatts (349 PS; 345 bhp) with 850 newton metres (627 lbf·ft) of torque, and pushing the car to 100 kilometres per hour (62.1 mph) in 6.7 seconds.[11]
The R50 came standard with 21-inch Omanyt wheels, sport-tuned air suspension, decorative 'engine spin' finish interior trim inlays, and a four-zone Climatronic climate control system.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:18 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Been driving a smoker in the UK all this week, driven around 1000 miles so far. All I can say it that I can't wait to get back to my car at Philly Airport next Monday. I am not cut out for that engine.
Old 06-28-2013, 04:35 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

The VW V10 TDI rocks. I was addicted after I first test drove mine. 6 years later still addicted to the torque.

And generally, diesel costs more than premium gas by a few cents in the Omaha area. Some times they trade places but more often than not diesel is more.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:42 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mudman2
Been driving a smoker in the UK all this week, d.... I am not cut out for that engine.
Please be more specific as to the pedigree of this "smoker". All diesels are not created equal, especially when comparing both sides of the Atlantic.

//greg//

Quick Reply: V8 going away