Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V8 going away

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Cole
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes. The VR6 used in early Cayennes/Touaregs is an extremely "narrow angle", at 15* more of an inline 6 than a V.

They are very "growly" motors. Not appropriate for a large heavy SUV.

I've got a 24v version in my Eurovan. It cruises the freeways fine, but stoplight to stoplight its painfully slow.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:29 AM
blackland
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

If a GT-R comes out of the box with a twin turbo V6 that makes 545 HP and does 0-60 in 4.3 how can the right V6 be so bad? Plus you can tune them up to 1000 HP. I would think that P could make a very nice V6 if they wanted to.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:50 AM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by blackland
If a GT-R comes out of the box with a twin turbo V6 that makes 545 HP and does 0-60 in 4.3 how can the right V6 be so bad? Plus you can tune them up to 1000 HP. I would think that P could make a very nice V6 if they wanted to.

The basic issue is not one of total peak power(hp/tq) but of non - boosted power and low rpm power (say sub 2krpm where almost no turbo can go)

A larger displacement engine will typically put out more power down low (think towing, 4wheeling, etc use) and also have enough power to run down the road without "having" to use boost. Also greater throttle response as it doesn't need to wait for boost to build, etc.

A larger displacement engine with a small amount of boost is also typically more reliable than a small engine with a large amount of boost to reach the same peak power levels.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:17 AM
grohgreg
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a base VR6 loaner the last time my diesel went in for service, a 2013 with only 275 miles on it. Comparatively - it sucked. Noisy, slow winding, and fuel thirsty. Despite 60 fewer horsepower, the diesel is a much more refined/ powerful/economical ride. Anyway - given that there's already a supercharged V6 in the Cayenne Hybrid - I can't help but wonder if a tweaked variation of that engine might replace the base V8

//greg//
Old 06-27-2013, 11:39 AM
Cole
Drifting

Wink

Originally Posted by grohgreg
. Anyway - given that there's already a supercharged V6 in the Cayenne Hybrid - I can't help but wonder if a tweaked variation of that engine might replace the base V8

//greg//
Great engine with lots of potential bit it would seem to be a step backwards for a Cayenne. It's the Audi "3.0t" (no idea why they kept then"t" when it went to a supercharger vs turbos)

They already offer it in the Q7. I imagine trying to stretch this motor to Cayenne Turbo V8 power would yield even worse fuel economy. Check out the comparison from fueleconomy.gov below.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:20 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by grohgreg
I had a base VR6 loaner the last time my diesel went in for service, a 2013 with only 275 miles on it. Comparatively - it sucked. Noisy, slow winding, and fuel thirsty. Despite 60 fewer horsepower, the diesel is a much more refined/ powerful/economical ride. Anyway - given that there's already a supercharged V6 in the Cayenne Hybrid - I can't help but wonder if a tweaked variation of that engine might replace the base V8

//greg//
Nope, it won't be. As Cole said, that's an Audi engine.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:43 PM
blackland
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole
The basic issue is not one of total peak power(hp/tq) but of non - boosted power and low rpm power (say sub 2krpm where almost no turbo can go)

A larger displacement engine will typically put out more power down low (think towing, 4wheeling, etc use) and also have enough power to run down the road without "having" to use boost. Also greater throttle response as it doesn't need to wait for boost to build, etc.

A larger displacement engine with a small amount of boost is also typically more reliable than a small engine with a large amount of boost to reach the same peak power levels.
Yes, you are right about the low end power with the V6. Seems like a boosted V8 diesel is the way to go.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:04 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by fincher
I had a Touareg V8 when VW still sold them. It was an Audi engine. 350hp FSI. Awesome engine. No issues at all other then intake motor flaps failing three times.

Not surprised the V8 is going away. Big waste of fuel. The V6 supercharged will be just as fun and powerful.

Love all the VW/Audi bashing here. It's hilarious how condescending some Porsche snot rags can be. Thanks for the chuckle.
I would have had no problem buying a Tourareg V8 and I certainly have nothing against VW/Audi as I've owned several of each including an S4 Avant V8 (which was a great engine) and our current A3 TDI. But by 2011, when I bought my Cayenne S, VW was no longer putting the V8 in the Tourareg.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Cole
Drifting

Originally Posted by blackland
Yes, you are right about the low end power with the V6. Seems like a boosted V8 diesel is the way to go.
I don't really see what is to gain there.

The V6 Diesel is really enough for most towing duty.

But the V8 Diesel would be MUCH Heavier and not as spirited as the V8 Turbo Gasser for ultimate driving.

Diesels are great for down low grunt, but part of the sporty fun comes with the higher revinn gasser.

I honestly think my fuel economy is just fine for a 500+ hp 5200lb SUV that can tow 7716lbs and be autocrossed or tracked the same day.

Deviate too far towards "utility" and I think the Cayenne will lose some of its following.
Old 06-27-2013, 03:49 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cole
I don't really see what is to gain there.

The V6 Diesel is really enough for most towing duty...

Deviate too far towards "utility" and I think the Cayenne will lose some of its following.
Not to mention the diesels can't be equipped with PTV+ or PDCC.

Still, modern diesels make a good match for any heavy vehicle. But yeah the low rev character of a diesel is more tailored towards utility. However when I had my 1.9l jetta tdi tuned to 200hp and 300+ ft lbs it "felt" like a beast. Torque is always great for giving the sensation of power even if its not that fast in actuality. So it kinda goes both ways.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:29 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The diesel is for more than towing. The modern diesel in the Cayenne/Touareg is fantastic. The low-end torque means you always have power at the ready. Want to pass someone on the highway, the power is instant and smooth as butter.

I was skeptical, too, when I was getting out if my V8 Touareg. I still wanted my V8. The TDI gives you almost the same power with tremendous mileage. Only negative is if you mostly drive in the city...I live in suburbs and work in city. Drive 20k a year and get 26-27mpg average.

Instead of me preaching, go test drive a Cayenne diesel and see for yourself. It's the best powertrain for they Cayenne...hands-down.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:34 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Its the best power train if you are going for a balance of all purposes. It is not the performance purists choice. But it is a great choice as a daily driver.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:55 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Its the best power train if you are going for a balance of all purposes. It is not the performance purists choice. But it is a great choice as a daily driver.
Agreed. I still encourage everyone to drive one.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Agreed. For an additional $4K over the V6, you get more power and better fuel economy. Lately, diesel has been cheaper than premium gas -- an added bonus. The CD doesn't find the need to downshift at often as the V6 when climbing hills. Still, I understand that some find the need for more power, fancy vectoring / suspension, and it is available for a price - a big price. It's a matter of personal preference, and the size of one's bank account.

As fincher suggests, go drive a CD if you haven't, and you might be surprised. I went from a $100K sticker 2004CT to a $70K sticker 2013CD, and yes, there is less power, but with the newer 8 speed transmission, and the torque, it doesn't feel that much less. Don't feel like I'm missing out by not getting one of the larger engines, and saved myself $40-50K.
Old 06-27-2013, 06:42 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

I agree its mad to pay that kind of premium at the dealer. Give those prices about 4-6 years to level out and then the disparity between models will be way less. I understand that buying a new car appeals to a fair number of people. I am glad too because that means a lot of choices for me to buy a nice used specimen at a big discount.

Quick Reply: V8 going away