Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a Cayenne Diesel, anything I shoud know?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 04:39 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

Few comments of the sound features: Got the HD radio and Bose (w/o CD changer or Sat). The HD radio is very good -- particularly with a radio station that broadcasts in HD -- much better clarity -- range in sound, but can't find any data implementation such as traffic / weather / etc, although I've read that HD has the capability when fully implemented. Perhaps, there's a software update in the future for this.

USB flash drive for music in the center console is nice, and I believe is standard. Although in my 2013CD there is a Juke Box feature (hard drive) where you transfer music from your flash drive to the hard drive. I'm using the Juke Box, but don't see any advantage versus just using the USB flash drive. There must be something that I'm missing here. What's the point of the hard drive?
Old 05-22-2013, 06:02 PM
fincher
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's good. I have the hard drive in my TDI but do not use it. I have an old iPod hooked up and also use both SD cards for albums. I even stream music and podcasts from my iPhone. I like the HD radio, too. Listen to both FM and some AM sports talk...all in HD.

The flash drive is interesting. Great if its standard as I would use it in lieu of SD cards and I guess the iPod connection.

I guess my point is I have to get used to some of the radio/entertainment features not being standard on certain packages. Looks like nothing is standard when it comes to radio/entertainment.

I listen to Sat radio. Some don't. Still should be standard. When you sell the Cayenne, someone else will want it.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:07 PM
fincher
Racer

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf

For a Cayenne Diesel equally specc'd, you're looking at a $12k to $15k difference at most. And it's hard to get apples to apples because there are more features available in the Cayenne. It is not peanuts, and compared to the Touareg it isn't as good of a value, but then again, the Touareg isn't that well priced either. That should be a $53k car, not a $60k car.
I agree that my car (Exec trim) is overpriced. Paid just under $56k. The Lux version stickers for around $54k but I wanted push-button start, 20", etc. Now all 2014 Touaregs have push-button start. Go figure.

It's definitely not apples-to-apples. My point is some of the radio/entertainment features should be standard on certain packages. It's puzzling that people still use CDs.

I wish I knew Porsche would sell diesel here...would have waited.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:18 PM
blackland
Rennlist Member

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

I got a Cayenne Diesel as a loaner from the dealer today. It has surprisingly good acceleration in traffic. Premium gas is $4 a gallon, diesel $3.65. So, if they has an S version I would not mind owning one.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:36 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Regarding the radio, the iPod and USB interface is not standard. You have to upgrade to the CDR+ or PCM to get those (PCM is included in the packages if you get one of them). The true base system is just a basic AUX input (headphone jack). I'm not sure if aux via BT is available in the base stereo or not.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:10 PM
fincher
Racer

Originally Posted by gnat
Regarding the radio, the iPod and USB interface is not standard. You have to upgrade to the CDR+ or PCM to get those (PCM is included in the packages if you get one of them). The true base system is just a basic AUX input (headphone jack). I'm not sure if aux via BT is available in the base stereo or not.
So, if you have PCM you will have iPod and USB? Isn't Bluetooth standard? And if you have BT, you get A2DP, right?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:16 PM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting, everyone seems to like it. Premium here the other day was $4.89 a gallon versus $3.87 for diesel. That is HUGE.

I will look more into this. Thanks for the information.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:21 PM
fincher
Racer

Originally Posted by DrJay
Interesting, everyone seems to like it. Premium here the other day was $4.89 a gallon versus $3.87 for diesel. That is HUGE.

I will look more into this. Thanks for the information.
Keep in mind, diesel is usually higher in the winter due to the demand for heating oil. The Diesel engine is a perfect mate for an SUV. The torque along with the 8-speed tranny is amazing.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:41 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fincher
So, if you have PCM you will have iPod and USB? Isn't Bluetooth standard? And if you have BT, you get A2DP, right?
Yes if you have the PCM (or CDR+) the iPod and USB (same port) is included. Yes BT is a base feature for hands free calling, I don't know if the BT aux is included or not (would hope so, but then I would hope an iPod interface is standard these days...).
Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 PM
rc2080
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by philg3
I'm using the Juke Box, but don't see any advantage versus just using the USB flash drive. There must be something that I'm missing here. What's the point of the hard drive?
If you have a large music collection, the Juke Box loads much faster than an USB drive.. at least for me it does.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 PM
fincher
Racer

Originally Posted by gnat
Yes if you have the PCM (or CDR+) the iPod and USB (same port) is included. Yes BT is a base feature for hands free calling, I don't know if the BT aux is included or not (would hope so, but then I would hope an iPod interface is standard these days...).
Thanks.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:05 PM
Jon H
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 86 Posts

Very happy with my CD, went very light on options, sticker was 63K.

28.1 mpg last tank (by calculation) mixed around town and freeway driving.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:50 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Placing my order next Tuesday for a 2014 CD. If the VW still had the pneumatic suspension option I probably would have been able to deal with the sketchy dealers around here.

Anne's 04' base pepper was one of the best cars we ever owned. Fit, finish, and reliablity were amazing. We had the one problem with the button on the back window but that was fixed under warranty and that was it. In the snow with proper shoes is was a blast.

Still keeping my Titan though. 175k on the clock and doesn't use a drop of oil.

Btw Diesel is 3.60 a gallon here now. Hasn't been less than premium for many years.

Last edited by MUSSBERGER; 05-25-2013 at 06:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Considering a Cayenne Diesel, anything I shoud know?