Sponsored by:

Some questions about towing with a Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:49 AM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Some questions about towing with a Cayenne

1. I recall reading here that folks tow in manual. I have a 20' (with an additional 5' V nose) aluminum Triton low boy; about 2900lbs. I took it on the highway empty and stayed in 5th. Engine RPM at about 65mph was 2300-2400. Without a load in 6th gear engine RPM is 1900-2000. I didn't calculate exactly, but fuel consumption increased by about 2/3. Is this normal? When you tow a heavy load do you use 6th?

2. I have read here that Porsche does not recommend/warns against using a weight distributing hitch. I have also read that some use one anyway. I couldn't find comment on it in my particular owner's manual (08 Cayenne S), though I've read that the manual says this somewhere. Is there any update on this issue? I put on about 250 highway miles, it was a bit windy, and there was one occasion where the trailer took over for a second or two (I know the manual says don't go over 50mph).

3. What difference will adding the weight of a sports car make to #1 and #2 above?
Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

use of the transmission in manual mode generally helps when you are not towing on flat terrain at highway speeds.
it simply allows you to try and run at the optimum rpm/torque spot for the engine.

weight distributing hitches are not recommended on Cayennes equipped with PASM air suspension.

more important than the overall weight of the car/trailer is the weight distribution/balance/tongue weight.
i assume you have access to a Sherline LM scale so you can determine tongue weight?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 491 Posts

I always tow in automatic "sport" mode with no problems whatsoever. Your max weight is 7700 lbs so unless you are towing a sports car in excess of of 4,800 lbs, you should be fine.

The most important part for you to check is your tongue weight. Max on the Cayenne is 616 lbs and you should keep it between 10 - 15% of whatever the total weight is that you are towing.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:40 PM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

I bought the Sherline tongue weight scale. Since the trailer was empty there was no weight to adjust.

That's an interesting nuance that I had not noticed in previous discussions; PSM vs PASM with air. So, if tongue weight is 10-15%, is there still benefit to a weight distributing hitch?

I wondered about sport mode; starts off in first. I'll use that from now on; no hills around here.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:16 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 71 Posts

While I may not always start out in manual I will normally tow at highway speeds in manual. At 65-70 mph (as fast as I will tow even though our highway speeds are higher). I find 7th gear puts the RPMs + or - 2000 and provides the best combination of not lugging the engine and best mileage. I can then easily downshift for inclines. My towing weight is normally plus or minus 5500lbs. I have PASM on my Cayenne s no Air Suspension. The trailer is a Tralex enclosed and I balance the load to have my tongue weight about 10-12 % of my load NEVER over 15% and NEVER NEVER ( Ok I violated that once) more than the Porsche stated max of 616 lbs. A tongue weight scale is a cheap investment.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:06 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Doug_B_928
I bought the Sherline tongue weight scale. Since the trailer was empty there was no weight to adjust.

That's an interesting nuance that I had not noticed in previous discussions; PSM vs PASM with air. So, if tongue weight is 10-15%, is there still benefit to a weight distributing hitch?

I wondered about sport mode; starts off in first. I'll use that from now on; no hills around here.
If tongue weight is in range, no you don't need a weight distributing hitch.

I assume you've also read this?
http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm
Old 05-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Doug_B_928
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ltc
If tongue weight is in range, no you don't need a weight distributing hitch.

I assume you've also read this?
http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm
Yes, I had read that back when I was doing my research for the scale. I didn't remember the part about weight distributing hitches. Thanks for prodding me to re-read it.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Doug_B_928
Yes, I had read that back when I was doing my research for the scale. I didn't remember the part about weight distributing hitches. Thanks for prodding me to re-read it.
No problem.
Just be careful of the Cayenne Fanboys when it comes to towing ... there is a difference between towing with a Cayenne and towing with a full framed solid axle truck; you don't want bad habits to develop.

99% of the time towing is boring; it's the 1% that matters.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:36 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just be careful of the Cayenne Fanboys when it comes to towing ... there is a difference between towing with a Cayenne and towing with a full framed solid axle truck; you don't want bad habits to develop.
hmmm ... I have only ever towed with a 2013 Cayenne, and it tows very nicely without having to manual shift (but have nothing to compare to).

And have read some alleged "fanboys" complimenting the Cayenne as a tow vehicle.

So what are these bad habits my Cayenne is instilling on me?
Old 05-21-2013, 03:51 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And while we have a thread on towing, another question for the Cayenne towing fanboys:

I hear metal clunking when going over bumps, while towing. If I grab my drawbar, and yank it around I hear the same clunking. It is a couple of millimetres narrower than than the receiver, which causes it to move slightly and clunk.

How normal is that? I just got whatever made-in-china draw bar at Canadian Tire. Should I look for a better fit? Should I grease it up (which would make it a mess to handle)?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
And while we have a thread on towing, another question for the Cayenne towing fanboys:

I hear metal clunking when going over bumps, while towing. If I grab my drawbar, and yank it around I hear the same clunking. It is a couple of millimetres narrower than than the receiver, which causes it to move slightly and clunk.

How normal is that? I just got whatever made-in-china draw bar at Canadian Tire. Should I look for a better fit? Should I grease it up (which would make it a mess to handle)?
That's normal.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 PM
rgs944
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just getting to know the Cayenne a bit. What is a "fanboy".
Old 07-10-2013, 03:59 PM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ltc is a fanboy
Old 07-10-2013, 05:34 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mudman2
ltc was a fanboy
FIFY
Old 07-14-2013, 08:51 PM
s4treg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about towing with a manual (not in manual but with a manual transmission)? I can't find anything that says you can't or shouldn't, but I was wondering what others thoughts were on this. I'm thinking of getting a hitch installed on my GTS (manual), to then use a motorcycle hitch carrier (not a trailer). Anyone heard of others that have done the something similar?

Quick Reply: Some questions about towing with a Cayenne