Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prices for used Turbo S - why are they so low?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:46 PM
epd242
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prices for used Turbo S - why are they so low?

Hi All - I have to sell a 2006 Turbo S that was my dad's before he passed away. The car sticker was over $120k when new but now it looks like these things go for mid $20k range. I'm curious as to why they depreciated so fast. Is there something horribly wrong with these cars?
Old 05-06-2013, 12:53 PM
c4speedster996
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default double check the value

If this is a low mile turbo s and is a manual, the value should be much higher.
Old 05-06-2013, 12:55 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts

It's a mystery. I put mine on the market with 63k miles at $46k last year and only had a couple of nibbles. Obviously it's what the market will bear. Why? Some of it is probably awareness. I'll bet 90% of the sports car and exotic community can't stomach the idea of a sport SUV, and the more practical probably suffer fears of $$$ maintenance. For whatever reason, they're not as sought as they ought to be. After owning one, I consider it an absolutely essential vehicle. We have four cars, and of them it's the one I don't think we could live without. I can't stand driving anything less fun and need to go pick up the lawn mower from Sears today, so out comes the TTS.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:00 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The higher they come the harder they fall. Turbo-s are GREAT cars.. why not just keep it?
Old 05-06-2013, 01:08 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you list specifics of the car (mileage, colors ect.). Admittedly premium vehicles take a larger hit on resale because most of the people who buy them want them "just so" and are willing to order what they want and don't want 2nd hand. Personally I'm a cheap bas*$@& and would rather avoid the depreciation hit so I buy used (wife gets new cars but she stays in them longer usually).

I haven't been looking at the market lately but unless it's a very high mileage vehicle I don't see a TTS going for under $30k. But like I said, I haven't been watching the market lately.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:25 PM
epd242
Track Day

Talking

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Can you list specifics of the car (mileage, colors ect.). Admittedly premium vehicles take a larger hit on resale because most of the people who buy them want them "just so" and are willing to order what they want and don't want 2nd hand. Personally I'm a cheap bas*$@& and would rather avoid the depreciation hit so I buy used (wife gets new cars but she stays in them longer usually).

I haven't been looking at the market lately but unless it's a very high mileage vehicle I don't see a TTS going for under $30k. But like I said, I haven't been watching the market lately.
Its got 85k miles, which is admitedly pretty high. But most dealers i've talked to and what i've seen online indicate that any TTS with over 65k miles will trade at below $30k. They just depreciate fast. Italian car fast! I was shocked because i have a mid 80's 911 coupe with more miles on it that is worth only a bit less than dad's cayenne.

I'd keep the cayenne, but unfortunately i have to settle his estate

The color a wierd black that turns olive green in certain light. It is super cool!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:23 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Its also that porsche sold A LOT of 955 pigs and the market is flooded.. which brings the turbo-s down with it. But yeah its worth like $28k.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:25 PM
philg3
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 71 Posts

As a data point, sold my 2004 Turbo (not "S") with 88Kmi, excellent condition, new coolant pipes, drive shaft, etc a few months ago. Got $22K, and consider myself lucky. My take is that values on the 955 dropped more than its fair share when the 958 came out, and the earlier years of the 955's (beta years) suffered the most -- even though there were fixes that made the vehicles reliable -- some provided under warranty.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:28 PM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Mkt is bad and flooded. Most people are going with a zero or near zero percent deal on something new.....with an extensive warranty. Hard to compete with. I'd love an 06 Turbos to replace my 04 Turbo. I love these cars. Most do not and FEAR the maintenance like Great White sharks.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, w/ 85k mi. mid 20's would be very, very good.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:47 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
Its also that porsche sold A LOT of 955 pigs and the market is flooded.. which brings the turbo-s down with it. But yeah its worth like $28k.
Agree with all the comments, these cars were made to be more mass produced and to make the company money on a popular field they were not in. This is the vehicle that people say saved the company. Unlike the 911, I don't see these as a 100% enthusiast car, but more of a standard use and throw away car. Only time will tell if these trucks are still around (1st gen) in another 10+ years as more than just beaters for teenagers, or if they are kept restored and in decent shape.

As someone has mentioned, this is the best 4x4 I have ever owned and I do enjoy driving my S with 113k on the clock daily. Even actually got a "sweet ride" from some 28 year old kid the other day, and my ride is by no means kept that beautiful (always dirty and filthy wheels) so the style still looks good to some.

I have to think the same as the others, if I could afford a 120k turbo, I would keep buying new. If I could easily afford an 80k car, I would not purchase a 7 year old 1st gen car, that was designed in 2000. I would spend the extra 20k and get a 3rd gen new.

I too can swing payments to spend 120k on a turbo, but I am not "rich" well maybe by some standards, and I don't feel it is a responsible way to spend my money (family, vacations, retirement are more important to me than a super expensive ride to worry about all the time) What a lot of us consider cheap money for a car like this (30-40k) are what I think a lot of us on this board are willing to spend and the market shows it. For others 30k is a LOT of money and they would rather have a new honda suv with warranty for that cash, as if they bought a cayenne and it needs 3k of work, that would break them. Not so much for others. I purchase my cars based on driving fun and bang for buck.

My humble opinion of course.

Sorry about your father but it sounds like he enjoyed his life and that is what is one of the important things!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I picked up my CTTS a couple of months ago with just over 68K miles on it and paid in the low $30's. I don't feel at all like I overpaid, and now that I've been driving it for awhile, I've feel like I almost stole it for what I paid for it - it's that awesome of a vehicle.

IMO, what scares people away from the 1st generation Cayennes is their age, the lack of warranty, and the simple fact that when repairs are needed, prices will be commensurate with the original cost of the vehicle, not the mere pittance of what they sell for today.

Before I bought mine, I looked very hard at two 957 TTs, and simply couldn't justify the $25K to $30K bump in price over the CTTS I ended up buying to purchase an exceedingly similar vehicle with less power and essentially the same look.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM
mk85911
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

If you have to settle the estate, you are entitled to some sort of fee. Take the turbo as the fee. You don't have to reduce all assets to cash.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spooltime
I picked up my CTTS a couple of months ago with just over 68K miles on it and paid in the low $30's. I don't feel at all like I overpaid, and now that I've been driving it for awhile, I've feel like I almost stole it for what I paid for it - it's that awesome of a vehicle.
Yep. The price they are going for when compared to bad ***ness of the machine is really the best deal going.

You made a excellent choice!
Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 PM
ohknats
7th Gear

So what do you want with the 06 CTTS? What options does it have? Does it have the panoramic sunroof?

Quick Reply: Prices for used Turbo S - why are they so low?