Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prices for used Turbo S - why are they so low?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ouch. thread hijacking over. GLWS OP'r.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:54 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Yeah, the bottom just fell out of the used Cayenne market. Sellers have my sympathy, but it's a Good Thing for those - like me - who buy used. I paid $18k for my '05 V6 with 82K on the clock two years ago, which was a good deal then. Now, that same money would get me a newer S with about the same mileage.

GLWS
Old 05-08-2013, 12:25 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Once these cars get up in years and/or miles, buyers realize Porsche-level repairs are going to be inevitable and that's a high barrier for most. Nevertheless, I think that the $20K quoted to you is wholesale; it's a ridiculously low "what's wrong with it " retail price for a clean 06 Turbo S. It would be decent price for a daily driver base V6 955 price. Even $40K would be crazy cheap for a clean 06 TS unless it has very high mileage or worn out. I just bought my CTT last winter after shopping the AZ/NM/SoCA market pretty thoroughly, and and saw no clean 955 Turbo S for under $50K.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:34 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DWC in Sedona
Once these cars get up in years and/or miles, buyers realize Porsche-level repairs are going to be inevitable and that's a high barrier for most. Nevertheless, I think that the $20K quoted to you is wholesale; it's a ridiculously low "what's wrong with it " retail price for a clean 06 Turbo S. It would be decent price for a daily driver base V6 955 price. Even $40K would be crazy cheap for a clean 06 TS unless it has very high mileage or worn out. I just bought my CTT last winter after shopping the AZ/NM/SoCA market pretty thoroughly, and and saw no clean 955 Turbo S for under $50K.
If you looked at his pics the truck is a little beat up. It needs a new bumper and lower valance, and rear wiper arm is missing, I want to hear that story . Didn't look to close at the interior shots. But I am guessing it is not mint. A good repair of the bumper is going to cost 2 grand right there.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:27 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are PLENTY of clean turbo-s in the 30's. Maybe you meant no clean turbo-s 957's? I stand by my appraisal of $28k. +\- 2k
Old 05-08-2013, 08:17 PM
ohknats
7th Gear

Originally Posted by touareg
If you looked at his pics the truck is a little beat up. It needs a new bumper and lower valance, and rear wiper arm is missing, I want to hear that story . Didn't look to close at the interior shots. But I am guessing it is not mint. A good repair of the bumper is going to cost 2 grand right there.
$2,000 probably wont even buy you the bumper cover for this car. Probably more like $3K not to mention paint and installation. I would guess $5K to fix the front. If you got 20K as an offer I would take it. The color isnt desirable and doesnt have a pano roof.

What happened to this car? Especially the front end?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:19 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL. The truck is worth more than that dude quit beating him down.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:51 PM
ohknats
7th Gear

Im just saying I just bought one for 28 that didnt need 5-10K worth of work and has never had any paint work on the car. Once you touch it with paint your looking at 3K more in depreciation.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:05 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by ohknats
Once you touch it with paint your looking at 3K more in depreciation.
Not if you can't tell, and especially not on the nose. Nobody is going to measure paint on an 8yr old, $30k car, and I don't give two hoots about a bumper respray. That's what bumpers are for.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:45 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I have to correct, the Panorama roof is 3 panels and the front two open all the way back, so it is 3x the size of the regular roof with 2x the open size. I have a slight squeak in the front of mine that I will eventually find but it works perfectly and I do lube the seals with Dow Corning 111 Silicone grease so they should last forever. I live in Washington state and doesn't leak a drop in downpours. First thing I would do with a Panorama roof Pig is purchase the Dow Corning 111 Silicone grease and lube all of the seals, nothing else will come close when it comes to rubber parts.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 AM
Oz-ATL
Instructor

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
I have to correct, the Panorama roof is 3 panels and the front two open all the way back, so it is 3x the size of the regular roof with 2x the open size. I have a slight squeak in the front of mine that I will eventually find but it works perfectly and I do lube the seals with Dow Corning 111 Silicone grease so they should last forever. I live in Washington state and doesn't leak a drop in downpours. First thing I would do with a Panorama roof Pig is purchase the Dow Corning 111 Silicone grease and lube all of the seals, nothing else will come close when it comes to rubber parts.
Very good to know, thanks for that.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
Where are you located?
Judging from the plate (New York plate with 'Fairfield Porsche' trim), I'm guessing somewhere north of the City, like Scarsdale.

And, yeah: It's kind of beat up and not a great color. If I was in the market for a P!g, I don't think I'd take it for mid-20s.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:37 PM
ohknats
7th Gear

Lucky for me my pano roof seals were just replaced and motor 5K miles and 3 months before I bought it. But I will buy the silicone spray to make them last!!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:16 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Don't necessarily go with Silicone spray as I think it uses Petroleum but Dow Corning Silicone grease is a clear/white color and will lubricate and protect rubber parts.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:44 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by icspres
Nobody is going to measure paint on an 8yr old, $30k
I will disagree with this; it was the very first thing I did when looking at the CTTS I ended up buying. If you don't measure the paint on the body panels, you have no way of knowing if you're buying original paint or "bondo'ed" up sheet metal that had previously been wrecked. And if it had been wrecked and repaired, what else might be wrong with it?

Original paint condition makes a big vlaue difference, regardless of the age of the vehicle. Would you rather buy an 8 year old CTTS with original paint, or one that had paint work done that likely indicates a prior wreck? While I agree it's probably less important to check an older vehicle than a newer one, at least for me, it's a mandatory step in the pre-purchase inspection because it lets me know the vehicle had never been in some sort of an accident.

Quick Reply: Prices for used Turbo S - why are they so low?