'04 Cayenne S Purchase Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 PM
donuschak
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '04 Cayenne S Purchase Questions

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a 2004 Cayenne S with 79,000 miles. The car is located at a local Porsche dealership and I will be taking a test drive tomorrow. I've done a little bit of research regarding the common issues associated (driveshaft, coolant pipers, coils, etc.) am looking for input from you guys as to what to specifically look for while on the test drive and inspecting the car in person.

I am planning on getting a PPI; however, if there are glaring issues I can identify prior to the inspection that would eliminate wasting time and money on a PPI, then that would be great.

So, my question is: What should I look for mechanically and cosmetically that would prevent me from going ahead with a PPI?

You can also check out the listing here to see the options and condition of the car:
http://www.penskeautomall.com/detail...-10423428.html

Thanks,
Dave
Old 05-03-2013, 01:09 AM
Divot
Much missed
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's missing floor mats. The steering wheel isn't Havanna (maybe airbag deployed/steering wheel replaced? Possible collision?) No deal breakers that I can see. I'd take Scottsdale Rd. north to 101 west, and jump on the go pedal in Drive. Then spin around after an exit or two, and jump on the go pedal in Tip.

They won't report on coils, coolant pipes, or driveshaft for a PPI unless you specifically request. They can tell by part number for the coils, the plastic on the pipes, but not sure about the driveshaft.

What is the asking price?
Old 05-03-2013, 02:09 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,571 Likes on 983 Posts

The black steering wheel is a bit odd... I'll bet you're right about an airbag deployment.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:50 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

The black steering wheel appears to be from a car with FULL leather and that Cayenne does not have full leather.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:57 AM
mcbit
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Certainly not original, the black steering wheel looks pretty much like the beige one I have on my GTS with Alcantara & Leather, the steering is a sponge backed synthetic with plastic centre. See silver GTS on same page.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:34 PM
donuschak
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Divot
It's missing floor mats. The steering wheel isn't Havanna (maybe airbag deployed/steering wheel replaced? Possible collision?) No deal breakers that I can see. I'd take Scottsdale Rd. north to 101 west, and jump on the go pedal in Drive. Then spin around after an exit or two, and jump on the go pedal in Tip.

They won't report on coils, coolant pipes, or driveshaft for a PPI unless you specifically request. They can tell by part number for the coils, the plastic on the pipes, but not sure about the driveshaft.

What is the asking price?
No surprise on the floor mats...will probably have to pay extra for them like you do on new models. Definitely not a fan of the black steering wheel and also seems like a possible air bag deploy. Still waiting on the Carfax and will make sure to request coils, coolant, and pipes checked during PPI.

They're asking $18,900.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:38 PM
XR4Tim
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll throw this out there: The Havanna steering wheel controls are notorious for losing their paint and looking like crap. It's possible someone just didn't want to deal with that a second time.

On the other hand, that is not the stock front bumper. It may be best to check for accident damage/body work.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:51 PM
jcb928
Rennlist Member

When you google the VIN number it was for sale before in Nebraska,
http://www.unocardealers.com/27441

I know the Penske Ferrari dealer in Scottsdale buys allot of cars from the auction, maybe Penske Porsche does the same?

I would also test the trans valve body on the test drive. After it warmed up go up a hill in 5th gear and slow down until it needs to downshift. If it is harsh it will need replacing.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:08 AM
SCOTITUDE
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

already too many inconsistencies. with so many choices out there anything making the unit so special?

Quick Reply: '04 Cayenne S Purchase Questions