:: ECS Tuning :: Rear Driveshaft Center Support Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 02:43 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default :: ECS Tuning :: Rear Driveshaft Center Support Bearing

Vass iss dat shakun und bangen?

If your Cayenne is experiencing heavy driveline vibration or noise, the most likely cause is a worn or broken driveshaft center support bearing.

The Cayenne has a two-piece driveshaft, linked in the middle with a flexible coupling, supported at its center by a rubber-mounted bearing. Wear at the bearing or its mount will leave the shaft with no visible means of support, causing vibration and thumping that only worsen with neglect. Installing a new support bearing is a cost-effective cure that's sure to restore order South of the floorboards.

Click Here for more information

Old 04-12-2013, 07:07 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

is this an upgrade to the OEM unit or is it just the OEM unit? Thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 12:04 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

is this an upgrade to the OEM unit or is it just the OEM unit? Thanks
The rubber is a little bit thicker, but it's not different enough that I would call it a upgrade but just a OE replacement.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:28 AM
Plastikos
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I have an '05 CS and have the thumping under acceleration associated with the failure of the bearing center support, went under and peeled a ring of rubber off of it. Also hear the 'tweet' when easing off the gas after getting the thumping that I have read suggests bearing failure.

So, do I just need to have my local shop replace the bearing and support (seems to be one piece looking at your product pictures?) or does it need a new driveshaft? Seems like a big difference in price.

Is there anything else that should be replaced at that time? Have read conflicting things about the 'flex disk.'

Thanks,
-Randall
Old 04-22-2013, 01:51 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

So I have an '05 CS and have the thumping under acceleration associated with the failure of the bearing center support, went under and peeled a ring of rubber off of it. Also hear the 'tweet' when easing off the gas after getting the thumping that I have read suggests bearing failure.

So, do I just need to have my local shop replace the bearing and support (seems to be one piece looking at your product pictures?) or does it need a new driveshaft? Seems like a big difference in price.

Is there anything else that should be replaced at that time? Have read conflicting things about the 'flex disk.'

Thanks,
-Randall

I'd recommend looking at the flex disc. It will be obvious if it's starting to fall apart. I've never seen one fail on a Cayenne though. Otherwise, the only thing needing replacement will be the bearing assembly. Some people replace the whole driveshaft because it's simpler to do, and the bearing is not available separate from Porsche.

Quick Reply: :: ECS Tuning :: Rear Driveshaft Center Support Bearing