Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

955 Trailer Hitch / Harness Needed...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 955 Trailer Hitch / Harness Needed...

Option I overlooked when purchasing my new ride. Any NorCal owners want to drop some weight off their PIG and sell me yours? Bolt off, bolt on...
Old 02-14-2013, 03:33 PM
CooperH
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can sell you mine that is currently on, I can take pictures of them. I can ship them to you at cost. let me know if your interested.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:56 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You do realize that the OEM setup is a bit more than just a wiring harness, the 1D6/1D8 factory tow bar control unit located behind the passenger side rear cargo compartment side cover.

Unless of course you intend to just wire directly to the tail lights...

If you do a search, your esteemed and well respected forum moderator, Sir Mudman2, has a detailed DIY for a Curt hitch installation IIRC....
Old 02-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
You do realize that the OEM setup is a bit more than just a wiring harness, the 1D6/1D8 factory tow bar control unit located behind the passenger side rear cargo compartment side cover.

Unless of course you intend to just wire directly to the tail lights...

If you do a search, your esteemed and well respected forum moderator, Sir Mudman2, has a detailed DIY for a Curt hitch installation IIRC....
Lewis ~ Thank you but I cannot locate the DIY? Did a search for Sir Mudman2 and no find?
Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

http://gallery.rennlist.com/cayennegallery/album11
Old 02-19-2013, 10:24 AM
Schnell 911
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link to the gallery !!!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:54 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I did a lot of research on my Touareg, when I added an OEM one after the fact. I did some searching comparing the Touareg and Porsche parts, trying to determine what was the most cost effective, and cheapest. They are the same parts for the early cars (7700lbs tow capacity with 770lbs tongue weight), in fact I ended up ordering new bolts for the bumper from Porsche because VW changed over to a different hitch later on, and used thinner bolts. They want us gen 1 cars to use those with spacer sleeves and the bolts and sleeves were well over $140 if I recall. Aftermarket ones dont match the specs and you lose alarm integration as wall as all the fancy lite/brake interaction and bulb burn out notice. LED trailer lights are a problem for these cars too.

The control module is exactly the same, I was able to cross reference part numbers, I picked up a used one from a wrecker in Germany for $70 or so plus shipping 7L695953. Hard to find in the US for cheap, was easy to program in my Touareg with a vag-com. I remember I got a later model, as the earlier one's had trouble with LED lights or something. You will also need the harness from the module to the hitch.

The early Touareg has the plug for the brake controller in the front drivers well, not sure on the Cayenne's, I think they disappeared at some point?

Either way, let me know if you have any questions about what you need.

Quick Reply: 955 Trailer Hitch / Harness Needed...