Sponsored by:

Passenger wiper arm bolt won't tighten

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Hamlet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger wiper arm bolt won't tighten

One of the bolts refuses to tighten, it just turns. It is a 2004s with the original bolts, I do not know if they are self locking. Any ideas on the fix for this? How would I replace the bolt? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're referring to the fastener that holds the wiper arm to the wiper drive shaft, you're most likely talking about the metric M10 nut. Try replacing the nut with a new one however, you may end up having to replace the entire crank mechanism since there's a strong possibility that the threads have become stripped.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Hamlet
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your help, it feels like the crank mechanism has been stripped. I will probably just swap it out completely.

Bill
Ottawa
Old 01-03-2013, 03:30 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We can get you a new crank drive if you can't find a used one. The part number your looking for is 95562813712. Click Here for more information.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:34 PM
SQLGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kind of an old thread, but the passenger side nut of the passenger side arm is on a shaft that spins freely in the crank assembly. I'm not sure what Porsche had in mind here about how to properly torque and remove it, but they did grind a flat spot on one side of the shaft... I'm guessing they expect you to use some special Porsche tool to fit down into the gap created by the flat spot, and use that to hold the shaft while tightening or loosening the nut.

When removing the old one, I had to Dremel cut a slot in the top of the shaft so I could use a screwdriver to hold it from moving... still had to use a torch as well to free the nut.

In my case, I'm replacing the crank assembly in a 2006 Cayenne, where the driver's side wiper doesn't wipe correctly because the pivot support broke where the cast aluminum end piece is crimped into a steel brace tube. Seems like this is a common failure. I was hoping to find this redesigned in the replacement part (new part number), but it doesn't look any different.

Overall, this whole Cayenne windshield wiper system looks like a questionable engineering project not particularly conducive to servicing or reliability.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:07 PM
SQLGuy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

By the way, one other tidbit I learned while replacing the crank assembly is that the wipers won't run with the hood open. You can start the engine with the hood open, but you can't run the wipers...

Quick Reply: Passenger wiper arm bolt won't tighten