Sponsored by:

Three weeks then this!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 06:59 PM
twfinch
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three weeks then this!

After months of searching I found our 05 blk/blk CS, 81K at a GM dealer (was trade-in). Wife and I drove for three weeks and love it, then it acts up. Wife calls and says it won't start and smells like gas. So I get to vehicle 2 hrs later and get it started. It's running real rough and feels like it's running on 7, so I nurse it home. I'm thinking coils, so I manage to get 8 coils and new plugs next day. I replace both plugs and coils and while doing so notice that #2 looks richer than others. Others are tan and in good shape. #2 is blackish brown. Start it up and it still runs rough and sound awful (pulsing/sucking noise in intake). I just happen to feel the intake runners and notice #2 is warm while others are not. While it's running I am getting blinking CEL then it goes solid. I pull all the coil connectors and plug #1 and do comp check to get a baseline. 175 psi. Replace plug #1, pull #2 and run comp check and get what I didn't want to see, 0 psi. I re-test one and 2 and get same results. Also checked #3 and it was 175 psi. So I'm thinking at this point, bent or burned intake valve(s). I have a 50/50 pay 30 day warranty with the chevy dealer, but I'm sure this is not going to be cheap. I'm just praying that it's top end only. I have to get it towed now because it won't start at all (I assuming the computer has disabled the ignition or something). Does anyone know why all of the sudden a perfect running engine would bend or burn an intake valve? I would think this can only be the result of a spring failure not closing the valve before it gets whacked by the piston. I'm going to ask the dealer to do a scope inside to verify that it is a valve and that the piston is OK. I've read about the wall scoring on here, but I think the warm intake runner, the noise in the intake and the 0 compression are indicative of the valve. I suppose it could also be stuck open. I assume, but don't know, that these are interference valves. Also, can the head be removed w/o pulling the engine? Any and all thoughts are welcome.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:04 PM
VIPNiSS
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im truly sorry to hear this!

unfortunately this is out of my realm of support but hope you get everything worked out for cheap if not free..

keep us updated!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:19 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Sounds odd. Keep us posted.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:33 AM
chasz
Intermediate

OP, what state are you in? Most states have a implied warranty of merchantibility. I'll do the research for you.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Given your symptoms (especially the warm intake runner) it sounds like you have a valve spring that failed and is stuck open or partially open.

As a reference point, a new set of cams and springs for one side of the engine is about $5k w/labor. I doubt you will need cams so you should be able to avoid a few $$$ given the diagnosis is correct.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:23 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

For what its worth (not much) this is the first time I have heard of this if this is indeed the problem
Old 11-12-2012, 11:08 AM
twfinch
Track Day

Thanks for the inputs. Chasz, I'm in OC, Ca. This seems so unusual from all of the posts I've read on here. I'll keep you all posted on the progress.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:10 PM
chasz
Intermediate

Wish you were here in Massachusetts. In California you have, as in all states, an implied warranty of merchantability. I would STOP trying to fix this yourself and go have a business like chat with the General Sales Manager of the dealership. A decent dealer would, after only three weeks, fix the problem or buy back the car. Here in Massachusetts, we would have to by law.
Good luck.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:10 PM
klum1971
Track Day

Sorry to read this is happening OP. This is why I have a fear of buying used.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:00 PM
twfinch
Track Day

Update: Mechanic pulled engine out and removed head and determined the problem to be a dropped intake seat. It couldn't have dropped much, like completely out of the head or I would think it would have made a lot of noise and damaged the piston and head. I'm getting this info through the chevy service guy, not the actual mechanic. I'm going to try to talk to him on Monday. I would really like to know why the seat dropped. I'm guessing it just shifted in the head somehow causing the valve to possibly bend and not seal, or at least just not seal because the seat is not true. Anyone ever heard of this?? I never have. I've heard of seats dropping and basically destroying that piston, head and usually the cylinder. I'll keep everyone updated as I move forward. One silver lining here, I'm getting a great deal on my coolant pipe upgrade since the engine is out!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:09 AM
Nhirsch
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

wonder if previous owner ran it low/empty on oil?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:39 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Nhirsch
wonder if previous owner ran it low/empty on oil?
That wouldn't account for a dropped valve seat. Overheating might..
Old 12-03-2012, 03:31 PM
twfinch
Track Day

Got the car back last Friday. Dropped seat (must have been slight vs full since no damage to piston or head) with no root cause known. This is the only one Newport Beach Porsche had ever heard of (they didn't do the work, just a quick phone conversation).
Two good news items to go with this bad news story: 1) I only had to pay 1/2 of the $3200 bill (labor, parts, machine shop work) and 2) I got the aluminum coolant pipes I ordered installed for $170 since they already had the engine out and head removed saving me the headache and time associated with that work. Hopefully I can use the Cayenne for a while, maybe even a long time, before the next issue arises.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Sounds like it did not work out too bad for you.

Quick Reply: Three weeks then this!