Sponsored by:

New member - advice needed on Cayenne V6

Old 10-25-2012, 06:55 PM
gokkav
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member - advice needed on Cayenne V6

Hi all,
I am planning to order a 2013 V6 petrol Cayenne but I read quite a few reviews mentioning "coarse engine", "annoying vibration" etc.

I have previously owned a 06 Carrera 4 and I currently have a Panamera V6 and I really want to stick to petrol engine for the SUV as I am prejudiced against diesels. Last year I bought a Range Rover (full-size) V8 diesel and I could stand its "dieselness" for nı more than 6 months.

My questions are:

1- How "coarse" is the V6 petrol engine in Cayenne? How bad is the vibration?
2- If the V6 petrol really "isn't worth the badge" as one reviewer put it, do you think the Cayenne Diesel is any better? Has anyone here driven both Cayenne Diesel And Range Rover Diesel? Is Cayenne more refined?

As you may have sensed, I am looking for encouragement to go for the petrol V6, but don't feel obliged to tell what I want to hear

Your comments will be hugely appreciated. Many thanks.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:00 PM
Tex94
Instructor

I've had none of these issues with my V6 with 12 months and 10k+ miles. Ride is smooth and while it does not have v8 power it is better than nearly every SUV out there. I think it is worth the badge...but if you have an extra $10k laying around an S is always a nice upgrade.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:09 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

muahahaha

Excellent question, also beaten like a dead horse, in fact I think some of your quotes may have been from my posts!

I have a basic V6.
Do I regret it? Not at all.
Is the engine coarse? Yes.
Are there annoying vibrations? Yes.
Is it as refined as the Panamera V6? No.
Is it worth the badge? Its a VW 20 year old design thats been used in Golfs!
Would I buy it again? Yes.
Is it fast enough for my daily driver, and traffic, and speed limits? Definitely.
Am I value conscious? Yes?
What would I do with an extra $10K? Something other than an S badge on an SUV.
Am I sensitive to imperfection? Very!

But what you do not get from the above statements, is the fine degrees, the nuances, the subjectivities, your interpretations - sensitivities - discretionary spending budget - and priorities in life.

I think that I have unanimously read reviews, that state that a base Cayenne with a V6 is an excellent value in the industry. I agree. I believe if you load a Cayenne up to $100K, that V6 is not befitting.

You have a good sampling of cars under your belt, and know what you want, what you won't be happy with, and your budget.

Test drive all the Cayenne variations ... see if your dealer can lend you one for a day ... what do you feel when driving them? How much money do you want to spend? What are your priorities?
Old 10-25-2012, 08:36 PM
gokkav
Advanced

Thank you Tex94. You made my day for a few minutes until Steve showed up )

My problem is, I can not test drive a new model V6 here in the Turkish market. Only diesels are available as stock cars and you have to shoot in the dark for a petrol variant. But I will test drive the diesel to see if I can live with the reportedly subdued clatter and the famous turbo lag. I am not optimistic though, after my RR experience. "refined diesel engine" still sounds like an oxymoron to me.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:51 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

I'm seriously considering a diesel as my next Cayenne. I think you should drive it so you can compare your experience to the RR first hand.
Old 10-25-2012, 08:56 PM
gokkav
Advanced

Dennis, have you driven the new diesel and petrol back to back? How did you decide to go for the diesel?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:30 PM
gokkav
Advanced

Anybody else with good or bad experiences with the new gen V6 petrol? Any comparison to the new diesel?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:35 PM
steve_Cayenne
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a reputation for ruining peoples day. Sometimes I enjoy it. I have even been thanked on occasion!

My comments are in relation to the Cayenne S, and some of the other finest German I6 engines. The V6 (actually a VR6 "Verkürzt Reihenmotor") makes a good Cayenne, that I enjoy every minute I drive it. The S makes a better Cayenne, for more $$$, as it should.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Kinnaxan
4th Gear

I kept test driving the vs and the s for over a year and could not make up my mind then I heard about the diesel test drove them all again. Ended up buying the diesel it was smoother and just a better ride than the v6 and met my needs better than the s. so far could not be happier.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:14 PM
eyeslasher1
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill chime in
I have a 2013 cayenne v6 that i have had for 1 month
i came from a bmw x5 diesel with sport package ( i couldnt stand the harsh ride and noisy sport tire/the diesel was loud but tolerable
i am also very picky about my cars and mechanical excellence.
The v6 has adequate torgue in the low rpm range and in daily driving is fine
anything below 3000 rpm is smooth and adequately powered.
Above 3000 rpm, the motor is slightly more rough on acceleration, but with a nice "growl"
the motor lets you down a little when you let off the throttle above 3000 rpm
and the vibration and sound is a little more prominent
below 3000 rpm off throttle motor is fine
happy with v6
and dont regret my purchase

Last edited by eyeslasher1; 10-25-2012 at 10:15 PM. Reason: error
Old 10-25-2012, 11:42 PM
John in Bismarck
Advanced

We have an 08 V6 with manual transmission. I really like it. The engine is plenty smooth, gets decent fuel mileage, and has good performance except when towing 2000 pounds up hills, when it bogs down a bit. We bought it used 18 months ago and have put about 15000 miles on it (64000 miles total). No problems at all, and it's a joy to drive.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:20 AM
dochusar
Advanced

I can offer a very good comparison, as I have driven a baseCayenne V6 and have the diesel on order. The V6 is not as smooth and refined as the Panamera V6. If you don't push the V6 above 3500 rpm, you will not feel any vibration. I love the torque of the diesel and compared to the VW TDI in the Jetta (4cyl), the 6 cyl diesel is almost like a petrol engine. Test drove the diesel and didn't even notice that it was not a petrol engine. Would I recommend a V6 Cayenne, definitely yes. The mileage is not that of the diesel, though.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,225 Likes on 771 Posts

Originally Posted by gokkav
Dennis, have you driven the new diesel and petrol back to back? How did you decide to go for the diesel?
I haven't. I am attracted to the diesel because of the fuel economy and the forced induction - it's very nice in the mountains where I live.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:29 AM
gokkav
Advanced

Originally Posted by steve_Cayenne
I have a reputation for ruining peoples day. Sometimes I enjoy it. I have even been thanked on occasion!

My comments are in relation to the Cayenne S, and some of the other finest German I6 engines. The V6 (actually a VR6 "Verkürzt Reihenmotor") makes a good Cayenne, that I enjoy every minute I drive it. The S makes a better Cayenne, for more $$$, as it should.
I was, of course, joking. Your comments were very useful in putting things into perspective. Thank you.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:08 AM
gokkav
Advanced

Originally Posted by dochusar
I can offer a very good comparison, as I have driven a baseCayenne V6 and have the diesel on order. The V6 is not as smooth and refined as the Panamera V6. If you don't push the V6 above 3500 rpm, you will not feel any vibration. I love the torque of the diesel and compared to the VW TDI in the Jetta (4cyl), the 6 cyl diesel is almost like a petrol engine. Test drove the diesel and didn't even notice that it was not a petrol engine. Would I recommend a V6 Cayenne, definitely yes. The mileage is not that of the diesel, though.
Prior to my purchase of RR TDV8, I test drove it for 10 minutes and came away very impressed by its power and "refinement". It didn't feel like diesel at all. I bought it there and then. What I didn't test was the evening stop-and-go traffic which I had to face every day. Imagine the initial turbo lag and the initial slightly-more-than-normal clatter which you typically experience in the first 5 meters. Then imagine repeating this every 10 meters for almost an hour. Brrrr.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New member - advice needed on Cayenne V6